Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assume the software needs to use the cameras to maneuver properly. Us guys with AP1 and lower are SOL I guess.

The current Summon just uses the ultrasonic sensors and front radar. But the new Advanced Summon that Musk has promised is coming in a few months, will purportedly use all 8 cameras for improved functionality. So the current Summon is available for AP1 cars with Autopilot but the Advanced Summon will only be available for AP2 cars that have EAP.

The OP is saying that it would be cool have Summon free (on an a la carte basis) on all new Tesla’s. I think it is an interesting idea and the question for Tesla would be does that sell more cars and make them more money or would that erode EAP upsells. I do think that if they charged something like $2k for summon and $5k for EAP then they might actually garner more revenue..who knows...

Summon only uses the parking sensors, meaning even cars with no AP hardware could technically have it enabled (but without AP's ibooster brake controller non-AP summon stopping would be harsh because it would have to lock the parking brake).

Tesla doesn't even enable TACC without buying AP - they are up selling everything they can into more expensive packages.