TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Summon Mode

Discussion in 'Model S' started by aollivierre, Nov 3, 2018.

1. aollivierre

aollivierre Member

Why don’t tesla give us all who have sensors summon mode?

2. drklain

drklain Member

Do you mean an autopilot hardware 2.0 or 2.5 car doesn't have summon yet has EAP purchased/enabled? Are you saying summon should be a feature offered to all cars even if they didn't pay extra for EAP?

• Disagree x 1
  3. Muhammad

Muhammad Member

Agreed. As a matter of fact everyone with a garage should just get a free Tesla.

• Funny x 4
  4. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Assume the software needs to use the cameras to maneuver properly. Us guys with AP1 and lower are SOL I guess.

5. cellphonechris

I have AP1 and Summon.

6. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

So do I.

7. diplomat33

diplomat33 Active Member

The current Summon just uses the ultrasonic sensors and front radar. But the new Advanced Summon that Musk has promised is coming in a few months, will purportedly use all 8 cameras for improved functionality. So the current Summon is available for AP1 cars with Autopilot but the Advanced Summon will only be available for AP2 cars that have EAP.

8. drklain

drklain Member

So what are you saying? All Teslas should have summon enabled even if EAP wasn't purchased? Or are you saying something different? Your sentence is confusing...

9. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Cars built previous to the introduction of the D models don't have computer operated brakes or steering. Both are required for Summon to work.

10. steve in socal

The OP is saying that it would be cool have Summon free (on an a la carte basis) on all new Tesla’s. I think it is an interesting idea and the question for Tesla would be does that sell more cars and make them more money or would that erode EAP upsells. I do think that if they charged something like $2k for summon and $5k for EAP then they might actually garner more revenue..who knows...

11. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

Summon only uses the parking sensors, meaning even cars with no AP hardware could technically have it enabled (but without AP's ibooster brake controller non-AP summon stopping would be harsh because it would have to lock the parking brake).

Tesla doesn't even enable TACC without buying AP - they are up selling everything they can into more expensive packages.

12. steve in socal

My free trial of EAP started this morning so I have been testing out the Summon function. Pretty cool for sure but not perfect yet. Will be better once the new upgrade rolls out and it uses all of the sensors and cameras for feedback.