Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon on AP2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering how summon will work with AP2.0. Will we be able to leave the car and have it find a parking spot? And conversely, can we stand outside of a building and have the car leave the parking spot and come automatically pull up to us? I haven't seen any details on this and would love to hear what others know.

The car will according to tesla be able to drive, and park, completely on its own if you purchase FSDC. If you dont, and only go for EAP, youll still have the same hardware, including the same sensors and computer. So the EAP is probably just a software limited version of the FSDC, whereby youll of course not get the full self driving, but be able to let the car drive on its own on your own private property. I bet youll get the feature that AP1.0 owners were "promised": Youll be able to get out of the car anywhere on your property, and it will find the parking spot and park it self. And then in the morning drive itself to your pick up location of your choosing.

I dont think the summon will let you get out of you car in the middle of town and let it go find its own spot

Screen Shot 2016-11-30 at 11.24.29 AM.png

This is from the Tesla site. It's listed as a feature of EAP. Autopilot

Reactions: 3s-a-charm
I'm now imagining several driver-less Teslas circling around my local high street, all looking for a parking space (just like I have to do!).

If two Teslas converge on a space at the same time, will they have some sort of Transformers-like battle to determine which one of them gets it?

I upgraded to EAP, but not FSDC because I felt it was years away, especially with regulation concerns

Now it's appearing to be within months. My car is still in production, so I'm considering upgrading if it's only a few months away. Any opinions on this?

I upgraded to EAP, but not FSDC because I felt it was years away, especially with regulation concerns

Now it's appearing to be within months. My car is still in production, so I'm considering upgrading if it's only a few months away. Any opinions on this?

What info has shown FSDC is months away (including legalities)? I have been trying to keep an ear out for any movement towards this topic but all I've read is speculation from Tesla owners.

I still have a lot of "what if?" questions in scenarios where a driverless Tesla is involved in some type of accident or situation that I haven't heard answers to.

What if there is road construction and someone is marshaling traffic?
What if road construction has you drive on the wrong side of the road?
What if there is a car/obstacle in the middle of the road requiring you to drive around the shoulder (or similar situation)
What if the car is rear ended? Will it pull over out of the road after the accident or stay put? How will the other person get insurance info?
What if....goes on and on for me at least.

All these can be answered by Tesla, insurance companies, or State Governments but I haven't heard anything official from any of those parties yet. In fact I haven't even heard if they are working on it yet.

What info has shown FSDC is months away (including legalities)? I have been trying to keep an ear out for any movement towards this topic but all I've read is speculation from Tesla owners.

Tesla has released a couple of demos, including one that was unedited. It seems they have made quite a bit of progress. In terms of level 5 driving, they may be a ways off, but level 4 in the city seems extremely close. My commute to work is in city, and having the ability to just autopilot when there's traffic sounds amazing. My concern is that such features might get held up.

Tesla has released a couple of demos, including one that was unedited. It seems they have made quite a bit of progress. In terms of level 5 driving, they may be a ways off, but level 4 in the city seems extremely close. My commute to work is in city, and having the ability to just autopilot when there's traffic sounds amazing. My concern is that such features might get held up.
I'm among the FSD timeline optimists in the investors section, but I would be absolutely shocked if it is ready to go and approved in a few months, I'm guessing at least a year.

Reactions: hollywood
If I were buying today I'd forgo the FSD payment right now. I think it was a $1k savings if you buy now rather than later, right? I'm among those that think it will take quite a while before approval comes along and it's a pricey gamble for something that you don't know when it's going to come and what the final product is going to look like.

I would think just from a legal standpoint - if your car is rolling through the Costco lot and takes down a pedestrian, in theory, you should be the one responsible but what about when someone makes the argument they were elbow-deep into the toilet paper display and thus shouldn't be held liable. Who then, Tesla? Or is it like your dog running into the neighbor yard and biting someone?

Lots of stuff to sort out beyond the technology that will probably move a lot slower and the real test will be when something happens and it gets tested in court. There may be a lot of states that have a "wait and see" before allowing to see how it goes elsewhere. Look how skittish they are over AP 1.0 already.

• Helpful
Reactions: hollywood
Don't you think small releases are likely, like stopping at red lights and going on green, etc?

Yes, Elon has indicated they will do monthly rollouts of features. For example, Dec 17th update (just a guess) will be 8.1 which will give TACC and Autosteer (as well as auto lights and wipers, etc.). I think after that they, every couple months, will roll out summon+ autosteer+, TACC+, etc. until its EAP.

Yes, Elon has indicated they will do monthly rollouts of features. For example, Dec 17th update (just a guess) will be 8.1 which will give TACC and Autosteer (as well as auto lights and wipers, etc.). I think after that they, every couple months, will roll out summon+ autosteer+, TACC+, etc. until its EAP.
I will be happy if My FSD payment gets me "sit in the car and monitor" driving by end of 2017 and better summon. So the legal situation need not change for me to be happy.

I will be happy if My FSD payment gets me "sit in the car and monitor" driving by end of 2017 and better summon. So the legal situation need not change for me to be happy.

Good expectation, except that will be way later than YE 2017. I'm hoping for AP 2.0 to support reliable entrance to exit highway plus summon from non-straight-in parking spot (which I have) at some point (maybe by YE 2018) in fairly robust weather conditions. Fully self driving will never happen with this hardware set, but it is good enough for pretty good highway assisted driving, lane changing with better blind-spot detection than I can do, etc. Collision avoidance should improve as well. That more than enough for 2016 hardware.

I'm pretty sure that AP 3.0 will include lots more radars and possibly LIDAR + more processing power and memory, but actual driverless operation will still be years away.

I'm pretty sure saying FSD will never happen with this hardware set is pure speculation. You don't know. Tesla says it will happen and the videos are fairly compelling. The software will learn. AP 1.0 has made leaps and bounds improvements since going online, AP2.0 will happen. It might take longer than 1 year but it will be capable.

If it was my money I would save the $1000 and just get the standard AP 2.0, I am guessing by the time the FSD comes into effect in its full glory it will be time for a new Model S/3?
having AP2.0 future proofs your vehicle for the time being and you can always get it later if Elon does bring out FSD on this year in full

Reactions: 3s-a-charm