Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon on AP2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering how summon will work with AP2.0. Will we be able to leave the car and have it find a parking spot? And conversely, can we stand outside of a building and have the car leave the parking spot and come automatically pull up to us? I haven't seen any details on this and would love to hear what others know.

It's worth noting these were both promised on AP1 hardware.

Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
Well robby I wouldn't exactly put it that way, but youre kind of right: We were promised something a bit more advanced than the summon functionality we have today. (At least us europeans, all we can do is hold the APP button "forward" or "reverse" in order to make the car move, um, forward and backwards.)

Local regulations will have more to do with FSD than Tesla. EAP is basically the stand in for states or nations that drag their feet at approving FSD cars. Currently IL, my state, does not have any laws prohibiting self driving vehicles. Thus it is not illegal. Thus, if Tesla were to enable FSD, I would use it and it wouldn't be illegal. There are many states where this legal gray area exists because laws could not be written to envision this reality. Few states actually bar FSD (NY is one). Some states have already put regulations into place to allow for limited FSD (Nevada, CA, among others). If you live in an area that is behind the times (like New York), then save your money. Otherwise you can gamble on whether your state legislature will get its act together and ban or outright approve FSD or whether they will sit on their fat butts and do nothing. My money is on our legislators doing nothing.

Reactions: hollywood
Local regulations will have more to do with FSD than Tesla. EAP is basically the stand in for states or nations that drag their feet at approving FSD cars. Currently IL, my state, does not have any laws prohibiting self driving vehicles. Thus it is not illegal. Thus, if Tesla were to enable FSD, I would use it and it wouldn't be illegal. There are many states where this legal gray area exists because laws could not be written to envision this reality. Few states actually bar FSD (NY is one). Some states have already put regulations into place to allow for limited FSD (Nevada, CA, among others). If you live in an area that is behind the times (like New York), then save your money. Otherwise you can gamble on whether your state legislature will get its act together and ban or outright approve FSD or whether they will sit on their fat butts and do nothing. My money is on our legislators doing nothing.

GA intentionally decided not to create any legislation regarding autonomous driving yet because they were concerned that creating rules before the technology is fully baked might slow down or inhibit innovation and they wanted GA to be a leader in the industry.

Well robby I wouldn't exactly put it that way, but youre kind of right: We were promised something a bit more advanced than the summon functionality we have today. (At least us europeans, all we can do is hold the APP button "forward" or "reverse" in order to make the car move, um, forward and backwards.)
Same thing in Canada and I expect everywhere outside the US. Makes Summon almost useless for us - waiting for the app to connect can be longer than just getting in the car and moving it. Wish we could use the key fob on its own for Summon.

I remember Elon talking about the car being able to drive around on its own to pick you up (with AP1) but it turned into a simple forward/backward "party trick".

Self parking at a mall or restaurant would really appeal to me. I'm changing to AP2 and as soon as there is some proven reason to unlock FSD I will do so.

Same thing in Canada and I expect everywhere outside the US. Makes Summon almost useless for us - waiting for the app to connect can be longer than just getting in the car and moving it. Wish we could use the key fob on its own for Summon.

I remember Elon talking about the car being able to drive around on its own to pick you up (with AP1) but it turned into a simple forward/backward "party trick".

Self parking at a mall or restaurant would really appeal to me. I'm changing to AP2 and as soon as there is some proven reason to unlock FSD I will do so.
I don't have the car yet but I'm pretty sure you can summon the car with the fob.

I upgraded to EAP, but not FSDC because I felt it was years away, especially with regulation concerns

Now it's appearing to be within months. My car is still in production, so I'm considering upgrading if it's only a few months away. Any opinions on this?
Fully autonomous driving and summoning in parking lots is years away thanks to various legislation.

This derailed into an AP2 speculation thread pretty quickly.

I would assume that Enhanced Summon will be fairly close to the original Summon on launch and will hopefully be available in 8.1 in the next couple weeks. Navigating curved driveways and improved sensing within narrow garages. That would be a very basic implementation to show of the power of the new sensor suite. Or maybe a way for the car to "learn" your driveway after having you park the car 10-15 times. That would be sweet!

We used Summon on previous Model S with AP1. It makes parking two Model S in garage easy, as you don't need room to open doors. We now have two Model S without Summon and one ends up in the driveway. We have been waiting for Summon update since Dec 2016.

PLEASE TESLA BRING BACK SUMMON FOR AP2! I hate to think we traded in P85D for P100D which now has to sit in the driveway.

(And to avoid haters...yes, 1st world problems)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: brianman and croman