Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon out of garage, did NOT open door! Bump!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I unplugged my car this morning and on a whim decided to use "summon" to bring it out of the garage. Its a beautiful 70 degree day, sunny, so why not celebrate the greatest car in the world?

Did not go as planned!!!

I stood outside in front of my garage door, summoned the car, and the next thing I heard was a soft "bump". WTF???

Went inside and sure enough, the S was parked up against the door!

My best guess is that the S was too close to the door when I started the summons?? Is there a range on the ultrasonic sensors such that if you're too close it won't sense anything?

There was no damage to the door or the car. Below are pictures of the car parked up against the door, and the place on the bumper where it hit the garage door. I wiped it off with my finger - didn't leave any mark on the car.

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

Last edited:
There is no minimum range on the sensors. Seems like a bug.

I have a different problem. My MS tries to close the door when pulling out while I'm still in the doorway. If I back out quickly I can often beat the signal and the door will close, but most of the time I'm in the doorway and the garage door opener light flickers telling me that it can't close because the photobeam is obstructed.

Perhaps it's because I park in the back of my 40 x 40 garage. It seems like it's set to close after backing out 23 feet or so. I think it's assuming the garage is a standard depth garage. It's frustrating and so easily fixed with some extra settings.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, that slight abrasion in the clearcoat should come out completely with a liquid rubbing compound.

There is no minimum range on the sensors. Seems like a bug.

I have a different problem. My MS tries to close the door when pulling out while I'm still in the doorway. If I back out quickly I can often beat the signal and the door will close, but most of the time I'm in the doorway and the garage door opener light flickers telling me that it can't close because the photobeam is obstructed.

Perhaps it's because I park in the back of my 40 x 40 garage. It seems like it's set to close after backing out 23 feet or so. I think it's assuming the garage is a standard depth garage. It's frustrating and so easily fixed with some extra settings.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, that slight abrasion in the clearcoat should come out completely with a liquid rubbing compound.

You can fix this by resetting the location that homelink stored when you programmed it. You want to program it on your driveway, not in the garage. With 7.1, tesla introduced a reset location option.

You can fix this by resetting the location that homelink stored when you programmed it. You want to program it on your driveway, not in the garage. With 7.1, tesla introduced a reset location option.

That's what I did and if it was further back, it would send the open command when I get home too far away from the driveway. It already opens the door about 45 feet from reaching the door.

I was showing off summon this weekend and my car got close enough to the door that I had to stop it. There was no way it was going to stop and open the door at the distance I'm used to it doing it at.

I agree - neat show-off feature. Not something I'll probably ever use. I get that it's part of the bigger picture though.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkKW
I think it is important to keep in mind that the V1 release of Summon is just the beginning. It will improve and become much more capable. I agree that for many people it is not useful, yet. The "snake" charger is needed. But it's a start. I just love the way Tesla continues to push the bounds of what is possible.

To me this is a completely pointless feature. I'll probably do it once or twice to check it out, but I have no idea why you would want to get in and out of your car outside in the weather instead of inside your garage.

I use this feature twice a week -- on trash/recycling days. When taking out the trash cans, I have the car pull out first by itself and then I roll the cans to the curb. When I get home from work, I park in the driveway, drag both cans back into the garage and then tell the car to park itself while I go wash my hands.

Like I said, use it twice a week ever since the feature came out. Not a single hiccup and it works perfectly. By the way, I have a tight two car garage. On the right side of the Tesla is the BMW and on the left side against the wall are the summer tires. It has no problem slotting itself in there.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Like you, I would have considered this feature nothing more than a party trick until yesterday, when I could not have parked my car without it!

I was hunting for a parking space in a parking structure but could only find one which although I could just barley pull into, once in, there was no room to open my door!

so, I lined up to pull into the space, got out and had the car pull itself into the space. Although to me it is still largely a party trick, I no longer feel it is useless.

To me this is a completely pointless feature. I'll probably do it once or twice to check it out, but I have no idea why you would want to get in and out of your car outside in the weather instead of inside your garage.

This is a really very useful feature for those of us with tight garages.

Our garage is so narrow that the Model S barely fits in there and you can only open the driver's side door barely enough for us to get out of the car.

This is a really useful feature but the car obviously must never crash into an obstacle, wall, or garage door.

I use this feature twice a week -- on trash/recycling days. When taking out the trash cans, I have the car pull out first by itself and then I roll the cans to the curb. When I get home from work, I park in the driveway, drag both cans back into the garage and then tell the car to park itself while I go wash my hands.

Eew. Your fob must really be skanky. :smile:

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
we don't have the summon feature here in Canada yet, but this thread has me wondering...

in videos I've seen of summon, I notice the car first backs up a tiny bit, seems to sense the door is there and stops, and then opens the garage door.
Q1: how far does the car back up in that first initial step before detecting the door?
Q2: also, how close to the front wall can summon pull the car into the garage when parking?
Q3: how narrow a space can summon safely pull into/out of?

reason I ask is that I have a very tight garage. Lengthwise with my MS parked inside and front bumper basically touching the front wall, there is about 9" of clearance between rear bumper and the inside of the garage door. Just enought to safely open the trunk with the garage closed. Widthwise there's lots of room to open the car doors once inside, but the garage door frame opening has only a few inches to spare on each side as I pull the car in, with mirrors closed.

I have to pull the car in well past where the ultrasonic sensors are yelling "STOP" - as I said, almost touching the front wall. I can't see any practical use for me to use summon (if & when it becomes available here), and aside from that I don't know if I could trust it to pull in and out with the very small margins of error I have in my garage. Oh and aside from that, I'm having problems getting auto-Homelink to always work, so I'd worry about the OP's reported problem occuring, but that's a whole other story. Anybody else using summon in such a tight garage? Just curious the minimum margins in which summon will operate (or perhaps in which anyone has dared try)