Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon out of my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Till today, I thought using summon was a nice trick to show off a pretty useless feature. Useless but fun to show kids.

That's till today, I was running late so I summoned 'Lusy', out of the garage, with the fob, while i was eating breakfast.
Garage door opened, Lucy rolled out and then the garage door closed.
Ok, I'm sold
I love this car everyday!

Yes, a cool feature that I actually use on occasion.

A bit of a mystery to me is how long the car waits to actually start backing out of the garage.
Like...what if the garage is really slow to open? Or it gets stuck or stopped and doesn't open all of the way?
Does the car know if it will actually clear the bottom of the garage door?

And what if the car doesn't quite pull out far enough to clear the garage door coming back down?

Curious minds want to know...but not enough to do testing to find out :eek:

Reactions: ESoCal

A bit of a mystery to me is how long the car waits to actually start backing out of the garage.
Like...what if the garage is really slow to open? Or it gets stuck or stopped and doesn't open all of the way?

And what if the car doesn't quite pull out far enough to clear the garage door coming back down?

It uses ultrasonics to determine when garage door is no longer an obstacle. It doesn't work so well and sometimes just sits there and gives up even though door opened just fine.

My garage is probably too small or something else, but I find summon just too finicky. Unless I have the fob sitting on the trunk or closer to the front of the car, Summon does not work properly. It keeps saying that the fob is out of range.

Crazy stuff. We've fell in love with a Tesla years ago. It's so much fun now to actually own one. Can't wait for all the new stuff that is in our future. We are not game players but find out self's driving beach buggy racing

Till today, I thought using summon was a nice trick to show off a pretty useless feature. Useless but fun to show kids.

That's till today, I was running late so I summoned 'Lusy', out of the garage, with the fob, while i was eating breakfast.
Ok, I'm sold

ONLY USE THIS WHEN THE CAR IS IN YOUR SIGHT. If the door stops above the sensors, the car may drive right into/through it. There have been people who have hit the fenders etc so be careful.

So for those of us that have never used this explain how you do it. I've a 90D late 2017 build and used summon to move the car around while standing a few feet away but never tried something while I'm in the house and can't see anything. Please don't tell me you just select summon on your phone and press reverse! That just seems like .... crazy risky. I admit I've heard about this for years but never tried it. Seems like the old videos had folks in the garage watching.

Yea, I would never trust summon to work flawlessly, without standing there with my “finger on the button”. I’ve just seen basic summon do too many weird things over the past year I’ve had the car.

That in mind (having to stand by the car), it makes it much more of a party trick than serving any practical function. The only exception to that would be the few times I’ve used it to park the car into a tight spot (hence, not having to open the car door while parked in said tight spot). But, like most, that’s few and far between, as I usually baby the car and park in some remote spot to avoid any potential for a door ding.

Reactions: PhilDavid
I use it every day. Live in an older house with a small garage. Garage door is only wide enough to have about 6-8" of clearance on either side when the side view mirrors are folded. I park in front and hit the forward summon to get the car in and reverse to get it out.

The one thing that autosteer is really good at is staying right in the middle of its target. The car parks itself in the garage much better than I can. If you are off by a decent margin it will change its direction and go right into the middle of the garage. Im newer to Tesla, only had my model 3 for 2 months, but it has probably 50 iterations and hasnt hit or come close to anything yet. I turned off the feature where you have to hold the FW or REV button to keep summon on a few weeks back. My standard process is hit the FW button and the Summon feature stops the car 8" from the back of the garage and shuts the garage door behind it. I touch one button when I park and one when I want to get back in.... It is very useful

Reactions: alset85d
I have a narrow one-car garage and tandem carport that connects to a sidewalk where the view is blocked by my house. I use the car so I can stand on the sidewalk while I watch out for approaching pedestrians or cars. I keep a close eye on the car since there are inches of tolerance before the stucco wall messes up the car. Sometimes I have to check both sides of the car to ensure that it's not dangerously close on either side.

Summon is also great when I wash my car. Due to the tightness of the space around the car in the carport, I move the car back and forth to avoid the sunlight depending on the part of the washing/drying process.

Reactions: alset85d
We had our first genuinely useful opportunity to use Summon today when a Ford F150 parked in a compact space next to our Tesla's driver door which made it impossible to get into the car. It was a very busy parking lot at lunchtime in Southern California. I wasn't looking forward to Summon failing while cars were lined up waiting for us. Much to our relief and joy, Summon worked like a champ and allowed us easy and quick entry into the Model 3.

One thumbs up for Summon.

• Informative
Reactions: erik_k and alset85d

Ok, I'm sold
I almost forgot about this feature because sadly we can’t do this in Canada.

All I know is it works ;)

ONLY USE THIS WHEN THE CAR IS IN YOUR SIGHT. If the door stops above the sensors, the car may drive right into/through it. There have been people who have hit the fenders etc so be careful.

If that happens it will be too late even if I'm looking at it.
I've been doing it almost every day now from my bedroom, out of sight twice it didnt work at all, the other 12ish times it was waiting for me ;)