Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon over Bluetooth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to use Summon in my workday parking garage, and could not get the car to respond. This is an underground garage with NO cell reception - a total dead zone.
I then tried Summon at home (outside with clear cell reception and also connected to local WiFi) and it worked fine.

Can Summon work over Bluetooth from the phone, or is cell or WiFi service required? Asking as my workday garage has tight parking spaces and I some times want to pull the car back out of the spot so that I have room to open the door and get in.

2020 Model 3 with FSD. I have NOT activated Smart Summon in the car. I am only trying to use the standard Summon feature.

Reactions: APotatoGod
You must have GPS access for your location to be known. I had this happen too and had to run outside and have my iPhone acquire GPS signal then run back in to Summon out of the space.

IMG_1398.jpeg

OK, now I am finding that my Tesla iPhone app won’t even connect to the car while in this garage. Since the car gets no cell reception while in this underground garage, there is no communication, so I cannot Summon, or do anything else.

So, over Bluetooth, the car will unlock, and the app will show that it is unlocked, but it won’t connect and show battery status, etc,

I find it really annoying that I cannot use Summon in this garage, as it would make it a lot easier to get in the car when it is in a tight space,

What they need is a remote steer option. Something that just shows you the front camera and givens you a game controller like UI so you can drive the car remotely like a drone. Then it wouldn't need GPS or cell reception to work. BT would work just fine. Or if BT didn't have enough bandwidth then a local peer to peer wifi network would work.

All I want to do is back the car up straight out of the parking space. But I cannot without cell reception which makes no sense.

How does that make no sense? The car uses it's LTE connection for all app communication. It uses a special connection called a web socket for live communication, like summon, but it's still using LTE. If the car has no LTE signal it can't function.

Bluetooth might possibly be used for it to function, but that car wasn't designed to do that, which is why it doesn't work. Why not just park in a space where your driver door isn't 3" from a concrete post? No other car on the market could do what you want either.

Reactions: buckets0fun
Bluetooth range is crap. Makes no sense to use summon based on Bluetooth.

For this one specific case it would work, since you'd likely be standing right in front of the car. But you're right that BT range is like 30' so it wouldn't work for enhanced summon. Plus enhanced summon still requires a GPS signal and it sounds like the OP doesn't get that down in his dungeon garage either.