Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Parking Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine was not so great. I tried it this morning for the first time.

I put my car in front of a parking space in my parking garage at work. I got out, and followed the instructions (press and hold middle key fob until hazards blink, then press frunk button to tell it to go forward).

The car started driving into the spot and then inexplicably turned left, leaving it parked diagonally in two spots.

I backed out, straightened the car out, and tried it again. same result. I ended up parking it manually the way I have every other day.

The most interesting aspect of the experience is that it is odd to watch your car drive itself with you on the outside and no one inside. They've still got a ways to go on the self-parking thing though.

A guy who had just parked his BMW SUV two spots away watched this and commented "Yeah, that could be cool someday if it works."

I put my car in front of a parking space in my parking garage at work. I got out, and followed the instructions (press and hold middle key fob until hazards blink, then press frunk button to tell it to go forward).

The car started driving into the spot and then inexplicably turned left, leaving it parked diagonally in two spots.

I backed out, straightened the car out, and tried it again. same result. I ended up parking it manually the way I have every other day.

The most interesting aspect of the experience is that it is odd to watch your car drive itself with you on the outside and no one inside. They've still got a ways to go on the self-parking thing though.

A guy who had just parked his BMW SUV two spots away watched this and commented "Yeah, that could be cool someday if it works."

I don't have the update yet so I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I thought for that type of parking you were supposed be perpendicular to the spot. Is that how you are doing it?

Maybe it's Tesla's "self defense" parking feature that protects against 3rd party dings in your doors...:wink:

Yeah, i can't really use it in garage parking yet. We have an X5 and MS. I park on the right and pull closer to the right wall and my other half parks on the left and backs in to garage closer to left wall - that way we leave the widest space between our driver side doors.

I lined up the MS tight to right like I park it, and it pulls straight in, but then tries to center too close to the other car instead of just going straight in for me. Tried a couple of times. The backing out is fine as it seem to avoid the garage door lip, but parking not so much :-/

I've played some with simple parking to a degree of success but I have always stopped it manually (with the app) before it stopped itself out of fear of scratches. Frankly, it scares me *much* more than (the notably improved 7.1) Autopilot running at 65 mph. Maybe with time I will grow accustom.

I have noted that the "summon abandoned" message pops up from the Tesla App more than I'd like (like when I walked away from the car even after not running a summons), not sure if this is a bug or user error.

Yes, this was perpendicular. The first time, I was not lined up perfectly - I was at a slight angle and the car over-corrected. The second time, I lined it up perfectly, and it turned diagonally at the last minute.

To be fair, Tesla does call this "beta". But it seems more like what we could call "alpha" at my company.

Mine wont pull into my garage because it cannot climb a 1/ inch lip.

Mine has the same problem with a 2" lip. It tried, though, by carefully applying throttle in an attempt to crest the lip, but no luck. After a few seconds of trying, the car stopped and put itself in Park. I tried to help it out by then climbing into the car, moving forward a few inches so that the front wheels cleared the lip, and then trying again. The same thing happened when the rear wheels hit the lip. It's clear that the car is very torque limited when in Summon mode. A perfectly understandable precaution.

Exiting the garage (and my parking space at work), functioned perfectly, however. I used the fob, as I think using the phone app introduces another point of failure, which I'm not ready to risk.

I have trouble with a 1" lip in my garage as well. Mine must be right at the threshold of what the car can overcome, because it will (with some trying) get past the lip with the front wheels, but then get stuck with the back wheels.

I'm contemplating building some ramps, even though I really have no need for this feature.

Mine has the same problem with a 2" lip. It tried, though, by carefully applying throttle in an attempt to crest the lip, but no luck. After a few seconds of trying, the car stopped and put itself in Park. I tried to help it out by then climbing into the car, moving forward a few inches so that the front wheels cleared the lip, and then trying again. The same thing happened when the rear wheels hit the lip. It's clear that the car is very torque limited when in Summon mode. A perfectly understandable precaution.

Exiting the garage (and my parking space at work), functioned perfectly, however. I used the fob, as I think using the phone app introduces another point of failure, which I'm not ready to risk.

I used the fob as well. Were there cars parked on either side of your space when you were at work?

As for my garage at home, the car wants to park in the middle every time. I haven't tried to see what happens when the other car is in there and the clearance on either side to get in is literally less than 6".

Did the summon to pull straight in and out of the garage and it did it perfectly with no issues. I've got limited area on each side of a single garage door, I initiated it pulling out and it pulled straight out and closed the garage door, stopped in the middle of hte drive way. Tried it in reverse and it opened the garage and backed right back in perfectly. I was standing between the tesla and my slingshot as it backed it and it was a bit of a butt puckering moment as it sped up wiht about 2-3' gap and then hit the brakes hard to park at 12" as designated.

Would this ramp work for the garage door lip?
61oFle7in+L._SL1344_.jpg

Raises 1/2 in. over 2.5 in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009RI6LUO/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g60_i1_bs

Yes, this was perpendicular. The first time, I was not lined up perfectly - I was at a slight angle and the car over-corrected. The second time, I lined it up perfectly, and it turned diagonally at the last minute.

To be fair, Tesla does call this "beta". But it seems more like what we could call "alpha" at my company.

I think it only turns when it thinks it needs to avoid something. It does seem to try to center itself between two obstructions in that scenario.