Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Parking Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also can't get over a 1" lip to pull the car in reliably. Maybe it worked 10% of the time tonight while playing around with it.

Even backing out, it occasionally stopped with the car half in/half out with a flat driveway - the garage door would have hit the middle of the roof had it tried to close. There weren't any random obstructions to make it stop. Also noticed the car really wants to back WAY out when it does make it all the way out. Sees like the car should be able to be told to back out 15' or 25' or something concrete before stopping.

Yeah, i can't really use it in garage parking yet. We have an X5 and MS. I park on the right and pull closer to the right wall and my other half parks on the left and backs in to garage closer to left wall - that way we leave the widest space between our driver side doors.

I lined up the MS tight to right like I park it, and it pulls straight in, but then tries to center too close to the other car instead of just going straight in for me. Tried a couple of times. The backing out is fine as it seem to avoid the garage door lip, but parking not so much :-/

I have the same parking experience. Hoping that there's a future update that allows us to choose if we want the car "right justified" when parking :smile:

Mine backs out fine, no lip, but the driveway is at about a 15% grade and once it hits that it aborts. It will then not pull back into the garage, I assume for the same reason. Have to wait for a fix for this. Not a big deal as I wasn't intending on getting in my car outside of my garage anyway. I'll find more places to summon today that are flat. Off to play!

Update: When I got home the garage door opened on its own. That was a nice surprise! And so easy.

But, Autopark would not give me the P in the grocery store parking lot even though it was a perfect spot for it and I easily backed it in myself between the two cars.

Last edited:
How far when backing up until it stops? Looks like it's going to roll out into the street! I, like others, cannot use it to pull in because it won't go over the lip... :-/

Can't Summon my Model S over my garage lip either :(

I got it to work a couple of times after restarting the Summon process. Any other tricks to get this to work over a garage lip?

I have the same parking experience. Hoping that there's a future update that allows us to choose if we want the car "right justified" when parking :smile:

Same here but need "left justified". Also would like it a little tighter to the wall than its letting me get with summon. Maybe allow configuration of side sensors like they do for front/rear parking sensor. The cardboard box kludge doesn't work for me. Summon tries to maneuver around it but ultimately can't figure out what to do and stops before finishing parking.

I honestly cannot imagine a time I'd use the feature to pull into a spot. If the spot is that tight, I'm not going to park there... you never know if the person next to you has a passenger that might ding you.

Now pulling out of a spot, that'll come in handy if some jerkwad parks too close.

Unfortunately my current garage situation (90° turn in reverse to back into the garage with ~2" combined clearance of mirrors) will continue to require a human's touch. The car sensors constantly tell me to stop, so I dont think the car will ever be able to do it itself.

Just found a great use for Summon: Needed to back car out of garage just a bit to get into a corner to clean out the litterbox. Not having to get in the car, but just being able to move her backward about 10 feet was perfect! But, I didn't let her go too far or she would not have been able to get back in. Need update to apply a little more power up a very small incline. At least that's all I can surmise. Without an actual error other than "summon aborted" or "your car is not available right now" I really have no idea why she can't pull back in or aborts halfway down the drive. Garage door autoclosed perfectly after summoning her back in, though!

Tesla, are you listening?

Just found a great use for Summon: Needed to back car out of garage just a bit to get into a corner to clean out the litterbox. Not having to get in the car, but just being able to move her backward about 10 feet was perfect! But, I didn't let her go too far or she would not have been able to get back in. Need update to apply a little more power up a very small incline. At least that's all I can surmise. Without an actual error other than "summon aborted" or "your car is not available right now" I really have no idea why she can't pull back in or aborts halfway down the drive. Garage door autoclosed perfectly after summoning her back in, though!

Tesla, are you listening?

A bit off topic :biggrin: but have you looked at the Litter Robot? We've had one for about 3 years, and not to be overly enthusiastic, I'll just say that it is life changing and probably the best money we've spent in a decade.

A bit off topic :biggrin: but have you looked at the Litter Robot? We've had one for about 3 years, and not to be overly enthusiastic, I'll just say that it is life changing and probably the best money we've spent in a decade.

Still going off topic, but I recently got the Litter Robot Open Air version and it works fantastically. Expensive, but worth every penny as long as you have room for it!

I have the same issue now with a lip in my garage. Weird thing is right after the install I tried and worked fine. Then it seemed to make multiple attempts to get over the hump and did it twice. Tonight when just playing with it it gave 1 try and gave up. I tryed backing up and trying again to no avail. Tempted to get a rubber threshold to see if that helps smooth out a little. I am sure with building codes requiring lips in many areas this will probably be something Tesla figures out at some point. My driveway and entry into garage are about as flat as it gets until you hit that 1-2 inch threshold.

PLEASE HELP!!!! -

i have a 3 car garage , but its split into two garage doors, one is a two car garage, one one car garage. they are separated by a post. i normally park the car in the 2 car garage, in the middle spot of the three spots.

i got summons to work fine in my desired spot. i then started messing with the automatic garage open feature (garage door opens when you get close), and now when i do the summons, even when the MODEL S is sitting in front of the right spot (the two car garage), the one car garage door opens now, 2 car garage DOESNT OPEN, and the tesla sits there confused...

whats up with that?

PLEASE HELP!!!! -

i have a 3 car garage , but its split into two garage doors, one is a two car garage, one one car garage. they are separated by a post. i normally park the car in the 2 car garage, in the middle spot of the three spots.

i got summons to work fine in my desired spot. i then started messing with the automatic garage open feature (garage door opens when you get close), and now when i do the summons, even when the MODEL S is sitting in front of the right spot (the two car garage), the one car garage door opens now, 2 car garage DOESNT OPEN, and the tesla sits there confused...

whats up with that?

Are you sure under settings/homelink that you accidentally didn't enable the second garage door to open too?

Are you sure under settings/homelink that you accidentally didn't enable the second garage door to open too?

yea, i checked on that, and under that garage (one car garage), nothing is checked....

the second car garage DOES automatically open when i get near it....but when i park in front of it, get out of the car, summoning will open the other garage

In it's very EARLY infancy stage it's more of a novelty but it will soon grow into something more progressive and useful. As they say, "baby steps... you gotta crawl, then walk, then run"! :)
Indeed, but word is these guys recently landed a first stage rocket upright, on the spot, after delivering a payload into space. Ok, different guys, but one would expect that they should have a firm understanding of slope and gravity and the resistance of a 1" bump and the energy required to overcome it. Especially if there is some geolocation involved where the owner can input "here's my bump(s), give it a little goose, ok?"