Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon Parking Experiences?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm contemplating building some ramps, even though I really have no need for this feature.

LOL. we sooooo can all relate to this feeling/thinking. Its even a kid-like feeling. Why did you do it? I da no. It was fun!

- - - Updated - - -

...one would expect that they should have a firm understanding of slope and gravity and the resistance of a 1" bump and the energy required to overcome it. Especially if there is some geolocation involved where the owner can input "here's my bump(s), give it a little goose, ok?"

I'm sure this is a safety feature. Fear of running over something or someone or pet. That would be bad. Horrible.

It would be great if we could assist in the the cars learning of its environment. Saving pertinent info. Even dimensions or centering offsets for a location, leaving one side with more % room than the other. Tapping on screen to identify objects, or ignore an object (such as a lip) so it doesn't get confused. Such as, Pole here (caution), Pole There(caution), don't worry about this lip here (ignore).

Drawing a path also would be helpful for certain situations. All this could be save into memories.

This is gonna be fun as it develops!

Indeed, but word is these guys recently landed a first stage rocket upright, on the spot, after delivering a payload into space. Ok, different guys, but one would expect that they should have a firm understanding of slope and gravity and the resistance of a 1" bump and the energy required to overcome it. Especially if there is some geolocation involved where the owner can input "here's my bump(s), give it a little goose, ok?"

The odd thing to me is they had ~700 beta testers for 7.0 before it was released to us (still beta for AP). Did they not beta 7.1? This would have easily been identified and even if they couldn't fix it prior to release they could have had this in their release notes.

I also can't get over a 1" lip to pull the car in reliably. Maybe it worked 10% of the time tonight while playing around with it.

Even backing out, it occasionally stopped with the car half in/half out with a flat driveway - the garage door would have hit the middle of the roof had it tried to close. There weren't any random obstructions to make it stop. Also noticed the car really wants to back WAY out when it does make it all the way out. Sees like the car should be able to be told to back out 15' or 25' or something concrete before stopping.

Yup. Same scenario here. My driveway is pretty level, and garage has a 1.5-inch lip. I hope it i just a slight tweak to a torque adjust to get in. It is so close! Rolling out, I do not understand why it stops halfway out. Unless it is hypersensitive to rolling off the lip. I'll try sticking a short board in front of the lip and see if that helps. But this *has* to be slightly adjustable by the SC if not by the customer.

Yup. Same scenario here. My driveway is pretty level, and garage has a 1.5-inch lip. I hope it i just a slight tweak to a torque adjust to get in. It is so close! Rolling out, I do not understand why it stops halfway out. Unless it is hypersensitive to rolling off the lip. I'll try sticking a short board in front of the lip and see if that helps. But this *has* to be slightly adjustable by the SC if not by the customer.

I noticed mine was stopping half way out because one or more of the sensors was close to something. In my case it was a post/pillar. I enabled "allow narrow" and it fixed it.

First three times of summons parking into my garage -> A+, worked better than human. Almost perfect alignment to the wall on both tires near wall. Stopped pretty much exactly 8 inches from the end (what it was set for).

Fourth time -> F, I had it lined up but for some reason when it went in it moved away from the wall further than normal and parked at an angle. It was also well further than the 8 inches from the stop point.

Fifth, and 6th time -> C, I had it lined up, but it still ended up crooked. Did stop 8 inches from the end. No better parking job than I.

Funny, I would have guessed that the BMW driver would have thought it was properly parked.

i shared this post with my wife last night... Today, she texts me picture from a parking lot she is in of a BMW parked diagonally across two spaces... Priceless.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny, I would have guessed that the BMW driver would have thought it was properly parked.

i shared this post with my wife last night... Today, she texts me picture from a parking lot she is in of a BMW parked diagonally across two spaces... Priceless.

I've been having partial success yet it's still very exciting. I have a level driveway but my challenge is the tight fit through the garage door frame-- I have only about 5" on each side with the mirrors folded. I line up the car, about centered across the garage door and had it back in. Has worked like a charm each of the several times I've tried.

It's also fine summoning out to the driveway, though it hasn't heeded my backing-in starting point and I've had to abort before it hits the hedges. I have a post in front of my garage that requires me to be at a slight angle when I back into it, so stopping at the right point is important. I'll keep playing with it.

For a narrow garage, there's great value if the auto park is reliable/trustworthy. If it's late at night and I'm tired, it can be a little sporty navigating the wide Model S into the garage. It would be great in those occasions.

And yes, it's crazy watching the car drive itself-- it's amazing that this is *not* science fiction. I can't wait for this feature to get better and do more things in future releases.

--Rich
MS 70D, #116403, dlvy 12/12/15, Midnight Blue, pano, autopilot

Well, I went and did it. I built two ramps for my one-inch garage lip, and Summon works much better.

I built the ramps using 1/4"x4"x4ft oak planks from Home Depot. I built the ramp as a set of tiny stairs, with the full plank width at the bottom, a layer with 2/3rds of the width above it, and a final layer of 1/3rd the width. Glue them together, and instant cheap ramp. This changes the lip from a single 1" jump to a series of small 1/4" jumps, which to a car tire looks more or less continuous. Each 4ft plank transforms into a 2ft wide ramp, which allows for plenty of slop. I tested it out, and the car went in with no trouble twice, whereas before I couldn't get it to work at all.

I still have no idea why I want this....

I had an odd experience with my Model S backing up in my driveway. There were cars parked on the right side of the driveway and a retaining wall, which has a graduating height from 4 inches at the street to about 2 feet at the garage. The summon park feature works well here in concept as I can open the door fully at the beginning of the driveway, exit the car and have it back up to the higher part of the retaining wall, where I have to be very careful not to hit it when opening the door. Did it a couple of times and it worked great. Then I had backed up and had the car was on a slight angle. Once I engaged the summon mode, the car backed up, correcting steering moving the car to the right (towards the parked cars) then to the left (towards the retaining wall). This last corrective steer put the car at an extreme angle for the space and it was moving in reverse with the left rear corner just about to hit the retaining wall at the 2 foot level. I had to stop the car myself or I do think it would of drove into the wall. So, what I found was that I have to set up the car making sure that it is straight in the driveway. Does the summon have a problem with angles?

My ramp paid off today, I finally found a (very small) practical use for the feature!

Package delivery services like to leave stuff at my garage door, and they almost always place the stuff to block my path. If they deliver while I'm out, then that means I have to stop the car, get out, move the boxes, get back in the car, pull in, and then get back out.

It happened to me again this afternoon, and suddenly I thought, wait! I can skip those last steps! I hop out, grab the boxes, and tell the car to go in by itself. Saved me a precious fifteen seconds or so. It took me maybe an hour to build the ramps, so I just need to repeat this about 239 more times and then I'll be saving time!

I have been loving the autopark as my garage is very narrow. Some things I noticed: When starting autopark it will return to that location when you summon it back out. (Maybe this is listed in the release notes?) There are times when I need the car to pull further out of the garage and I typically plan that by having it park itself from that location.

One other thing - the autopark didn't work as well when my driveway is wet. It stopped many times (I have a slight incline) when wet, whereas it was perfect when dry.

Some things I noticed: When starting autopark it will return to that location when you summon it back out. (Maybe this is listed in the release notes?)

I noted that behavior in an earlier post. I think that is intentional. Manual says that "unpack summon" works only if the car was parked by "summon" (not true, of course, but that was apparently the intention), so I think it is programmed, when summoned, to go 39 feet or back to the starting point of the last summon command, whichever comes first.

I also noticed that you can summon again in the same direction after the car stops itself.