Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does your car have WiFi or LTE in the driveway? I’m guessing when it’s in the garage you are connected to WiFi and summon works but while in the driveway your LTE connection is poor and the car doesn’t communicate with your phone?

Does your car have WiFi or LTE in the driveway? I’m guessing when it’s in the garage you are connected to WiFi and summon works but while in the driveway your LTE connection is poor and the car doesn’t communicate with your phone?

or the car is STILL connected to wifi, but only barely, and thus gets a crap connection.

Reactions: DaveRZ
Just the sanity check that if it is on the edge WiFi wise due to being in the driveway, it could be potentially jumping between the two, or at minimum the timeout it uses to decide which to connect to next. My driveway is just like that with my cell phone and my home WiFi and in my Tesla earlier tonight using Spotify IIRC while parked in my driveway. IMHO the M3 network stack isn't the most robust I've seen either.

Maybe try it totally out of WiFi range and see if it works (or temporarily 'forget' your current Wifi connection).

Last edited:
My phone has five bars and max WiFi whether in the car or in the driveway; I don't know what the car's connection is. But when they're both out of range of any WiFi, Summon works.

The Tesla being out of range of wifi will almost always be easy to connect to. The problem seems to be that when the car is in the garage, it has a strong connection to your home which makes it easy to use, but when it is outside it is probably still close enough to connect to your home network but far enough that it is very weak.

This is an issue that will happen to any device that connects to a home network and you start moving away from the signal.

I would recommend moving your wifi router or modem closer to the garage or the front of the house. Another option is you could buy a range extender for your wifi and put it in the garage to boost the signal.

Turn off WiFi on your phone, not necessarily car, prior to pulling out of the garage, and then see if it continues to work in driveway after/if you can summon it out of garage.. I know that’s not a fix, but to help narrow down issues.

Or tear down garage to get summon to work in driveway? Maybe not the best idea.