Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon question...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I just got my first referral this weekend. Yah me. My friend is the new owner of a Blue Model 3 Long Range with FSD. We drove the M3 to a parking lot to test parking and summon. Summon only working with a move forward and backward option. I seem to recall that you could touch anywhere on a map and the car would navigate through a parking lot to your spot. We couldn't find that option.

Also when we tried to park, the option never appeared on the screen. We tried to parallel park on a street about 10 times to get the option to appear. Each time with cars and spots where the M3 could fit.

I don't have FSD on my M3, so I don't have any experience with this.

Any suggestions on how to get the summon to work on the map and parking?

Thanks

The car has to calibrate before AP features are fully available, and if it isn’t calibrated yet, you should see a progress indicator on the screen.

if that’s not it, make sure your friend has checked the settings and enabled everything. I think most AP features are disabled by default. Autopark is hit and miss for many people.

I thought auto park was quietly removed years ago.
There is nothing about Tesla that can be done quietly, there are at least 10 click-bait headlines from both sides. If it gets posted anywhere on TMC - and it involves a feature removal, it might make it on CNBC or even the Terminal!
I can confirm AutoPark is there. I use it constantly. Works 99%+ of the time
Can confirm also, still there.

If this is a new car, it doesn't have radar. Non-radar cars do NOT HAVE smart summon right now: Transitioning to Tesla Vision

If this was an older car, it probably needs more calibration for the AP. There are two stages of AP cal, and the second one can take way longer than the first and is needed for more complex things like lane change and smart summon. But again, any 3/Y being delivered right now doesn't have smart summon even if you paid for it.

There is nothing about Tesla that can be done quietly, there are at least 10 click-bait headlines from both sides. If it gets posted anywhere on TMC - and it involves a feature removal, it might make it on CNBC or even the Terminal!

Ironically, removal of smart summon was a huge "click-bait" news story just 10 days ago, dismissed as no big deal, yet we've already forgotten when a car without it shows up and it's impacting owners and causing confusion. Us current owners are like "what, they totally didn't remove that, it works fine on my car!". Tesla don't roll that way, just because it works on the last 3 years of cars doesn't mean it works on a brand new one.

Last edited:
If this is a new car, it doesn't have radar. Non-radar cars do NOT HAVE smart summon right now: Transitioning to Tesla Vision

If this was an older car, it probably needs more calibration for the AP. There are two stages of AP cal, and the second one can take way longer than the first and is needed for more complex things like lane change and smart summon. But again, any 3/Y being delivered right now doesn't have smart summon even if you paid for it.

Ironically, removal of smart summon was a huge "click-bait" news story just 10 days ago, dismissed as no big deal, yet we've already forgotten when a car without it shows up and it's impacting owners and causing confusion. Us current owners are like "what, they totally didn't remove that, it works fine on my car!". Tesla don't roll that way, just because it works on the last 3 years of cars doesn't mean it works on a brand new one.
I think you're correct, about the radar missing. Thanks for the info.

I have a 2017 90D and not only is it gone but all references in the owners manual are also deleted. Funny you never hear anyone beta testing the FSD say squat about summon or autoparking. Guess that's not part of FSD. You'd think they would test everything self driving could control