Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With AP1, when initiating summon, must the front wheels be oriented straight ahead? Our parking slot is in an underground parking garage and I have been yet to use summon because of the tight quarters. On the other hand it would be handy to have the car pull out a far enough to easily get in or get out of the car before it goes all the way into its slot. I see that I can set the distance it drives out of the spot and understand that the car needs to be lined up to enter the slot but does that rule also apply to the front wheels being straight as opposed to still turned one way or the other. Thank you for your response.

If you initiate summons with the wheels turned, the very first thing it will do is straighten the wheels. After that, it will try to follow the trajectory of the car, making slight adjustments not to hit anything, based on the setting you have made for side clearance (tight or standard). You don't have to change the setting for the distance it drives out, as you can just press a button on the key fob or any door handle, and it will stop the car. I use this in garages all the time. I like to park at an end spot next to the wall. I'll line the car up with the spot, pull (or back) in far enough where I can still get out, and then get out and have it summon ( or autopark) the rest of the way. When I get back to the car, I just summon it out. It will only come out as far as it went in (it remembers where it started from) and then stop. I can now get in and take off.

It won't, however, perpendicular park or parallel park without you in the car. As the same, it won't summon into or out of a spot where it has to make a drastic change in trajectory.
I hope that answered your question?

I've been using it the past 2 weeks. I use it to back into the garage and drive out of the garage. It only work well if the trajectory backing into the garage is a straight line in. If the trajectory is at a slight angle, you might end up too close to a box on the side of the garage or something and the summon feature will just abandon. Otherwise work well in tight spaces.

I might try driving into the garage and backing out of the garage to see if that work better or differently.

Just adding my 2 cents, as I usually use the summons to get my car (AP1) out and back in the garage before and after I wash it. I control where it will steer by standing off the the corner of the car I want it to move away from, as the sensors will sense me and turn away to park, I think it also has to do with the setting you select, as I have mine at "tight fit" or something like that... :)