TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Summon ready for turning into perpendicular parking slots

Discussion in 'Model S' started by skip8jj, May 22, 2016.

1. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

I am not talking about exiting/entering a parking slot by commanding the car to go straight in or out of the parking slot. Our parking slot is in an underground parking garage that has a 19 foot wide open lane between the two rows of perpendicular parking slots, each roughly 9 feet across. There is not enough room to turn a car crossways in the open lane in front of the parking slot so it is necessary to swing the car diagonally across the lane and then back while turning into the parking slot.

After owning the car for a bit more than a month, I was pleasantly surprised to notice the "park" option show up on the display as I shifted the car into reverse from my diagonal position in the lane. Sure enough, it backed and turned itself into the slot. The car isn't always parked straight, neat relative to wall and next car, but it gets into the slot as fast or faster than when I park it.

I realized this morning that if the car will park itself from a position that requires it to turn itself into the slot, it is only a few lines of code away from incorporating the Summon feature that allows the driver to exit the car before the car parks itself. Or maybe you all already knew that the MS would do this. By the way, I have not activated Summon.

In any event, the car is amazing.

• Like x 1
  2. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

You shouldn't need to do anything other than cruise slowly past the open space -- no diagonal turning required.
    It may even wind up parked straighter that way.
    You want to exit before parking because it is difficult to get out between the parked cars?

3. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Yes, it is tight and exiting before parking in this situation would be nice.

4. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Tesla needs to sever the connection between the various auto-park/summon/etc. operations and whether the driver is in or out of the car.
    Pretty much all of the permutations make sense for some drivers, so they should all be available -- and without utterly ridiculous UI
    contortions (think about what you have to do today to trick double-press-of-the-park-button auto-park into letting you stay in the car
    while parking).