Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon seems like a silly party trick to me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was established earlier that @SandiaGrunt works in the autonomous vehicles industry, apparently on a pretty senior level. It is not an uncommon opinion apparently in the AV industry that Tesla is an odd one out.

If it helps, I don’t care for the attack style but I do think @SandiaGrunt knows quite a bit more about this topic than you or I.
If he works in the AV industry - he is being unethical in attacking Tesla here without disclosing his potential ties to a Tesla competitor.

I worked for MS for over a decade and I didn't make a single comment about any of MS competitors without disclosure.

Anyway, his comments should stand on their own - without having to attack other members - esp. for being pro-Tesla in a Tesla centric forum. Try his in any other forum - you will be packed off within minutes.

Reactions: PACEMD
That explains a lot.
A lot of what ?

You are the one spewing anti-Tesla comments and not disclosing your ties to AV industry.

ps :

I can't use arguments from authority, because I'm not permitted to identify myself -- and such arguments don't usually work anyway.

You don't have to identify yourself - just disclose that you work for a Tesla competitor.

Popping in/seeing the back and forth in this thread for the past few days, it seems evident (kinda like with the polarized Tesla “Shorts / Longs”) that folks are kinda dug in and not of one mind where Smart Summon Beta is concerned.

Rather than breaking down the technical / statistical likelihood of crashing, mine is just a candid info share on my experience, thus far, in the use of Smart Summon for those who might have interest.

Today, I used Smart Summon a total of 4 times. I did not try to make its job overly complex. I thought I would simply ask it complete a relatively easy path of travel, with not too many turns, cars or pedestrians to stretch its limits.

I was (am) really pleased that in the first three of these instances, Smart Summon actually responded largely flawlessly.

In each event, it quickly reacted to my holding down the “come to me” screen selection and did so, first time out, each time. I did this at different locations each time.

It reversed out of stalls, turned and then travelled straightaways and required turns properly.

While there were no pedestrians who stepped in the way, or cars that were backing toward my Tesla, in these simple scenarios, it actually worked really quite well.

The only thing I noticed (that was a bit perplexing), was a couple of times where it started moving in a direction (for a moment) that I, as a driver, wouldn’t have and made me mentally ready to intervene (if it had continued). It didn’t however and self corrected, re-orienting it’s front wheels and trajectory and found its way back to the center of the pathway it needed to travel.

I didn’t perceive these instances as dangerous, but concede it did make me a little more alert and ready to intervene, if it were to continue. It didn’t though and each time it self re-oriented and I felt wholly comfortable I could just stop it if I had to.

There were two other times (Instances of use 5 and 6) that it did not function when I pressed the “come to me” selection and then displayed a message saying that smart summon had aborted.

I’ve experienced that particular failing probably the most over the last series of days.

In summary, when it worked, it was very cool and was certainly a fun and attention garnering activity for folks who happened to be nearby and watching. I’ve found it affords great opportunities to share about all the amazing tech and functions the cars have, as largely...most people really don’t know much about Tesla and the diverse capabilities and benefits the cars afford.

You always have to be wary of one that is so fiercely adamant about a particular topic.

SanidaGrunt makes a lot of great points once you strip out all the vitriol. It's hard to agree with him because of his overly aggresive nature but if you force yourself to be objective then there's some merit to what he's seeing.

Having said that - we don't live in a binary world and he appears to have trouble with that. I see potential. He feels fear and uses examples WAY out in the margin in a (likely self serving) attempt at fear mongering.

It is what it is. I'll still happily lay my fat redneck fingers on the Summon button while carefully watching. Carry on!

Reactions: FunSecured
SanidaGrunt makes a lot of great points once you strip out all the vitriol. It's hard to agree with him because of his overly aggresive nature but if you force yourself to be objective then there's some merit to what he's seeing.

IRL, people listen when I talk. Online, no one gives a **** about anything I say. It can be pretty frustrating. My wife periodically forces me to delete the Twitter app from my phone.

IRL, people listen when I talk. Online, no one gives a **** about anything I say. It can be pretty frustrating. My wife periodically forces me to delete the Twitter app from my phone.
Obligatory:
duty_calls.png

Its because you are really quite rude and state opinions as facts following them with 'but I'm an expert and I'm smarter than you so you better listen". I'll tell you what, in my field of work I'm damn near a god, but I'm not going to use that as an excuse to be terribly rude or shut people down because my opinion is more important. I'd venture to say that most of the people in this thread are very intelligent, many are engineers or software guys. We know how the world works, we know how technologies evolve, we know how to do risk analyses. Working in AV does not make you an instant expert on what tesla is doing any more than me doing what I do makes me an expert on what tesla is doing. It gives you an insight that our group would love to hear. We don't want to hear how much smarter you are then us.

There are plenty of technical experts on this forum that regularly voice their opinions, often negative, and get a very good hearing because they have built their reputation as you would in real life. With consistent accurate representation of the facts, clearly voiced opinions, and accuracy of outcomes when you look back. There are no short cuts.

Reactions: PACEMD
So does drunk driving, but people are expected to be responsible when they drive and NOT drink and drive.

Similarly, some people get angry and become
involved in Road Rage events and then use their cars as weapons.

That doesn’t mean cars should be eradicated because some are doing what they shouldn’t with it.

It’s similar.

Smart Summon is beta and has known limitations.

People should be -smart- about HOW they use “Smart Summon” and simply regard the limitations and instructions afforded on its use.

Reality:

- It travels slow.

It can be manually disengaged virtually immediately.

- it’s supposed to be monitored at all times and in sight.

- it’s Range and case uses are presently super limited

Seems like personal responsibility is a component in all this that should be regarded.

Reactions: alsetym
Its because you are really quite rude and state opinions as facts following them with 'but I'm an expert and I'm smarter than you so you better listen".

You're wrong. I never said a goddamn word about my credentials until that asshole @electronblue outed me on like page 7. I actually didn't even want to mention my credentials.

(I'm kidding @electronblue, you have my greatest respect -- you're the only rational voice I've seen on this site in months.)

• Funny
Reactions: electronblue
Jesus f'in Christ you just listed every single misconception in this thread all over again.

Gosh..so...I’ve really endeavored to simply be pleasant and afford my perspective (in this topic) but you’re largely defaming of all in this thread that you speak with.

If you look back through the comments, all my representations are experiential (from my personal experience with Smart Summon). While you’re welcome to harbor your opinion (un-dissuaded by contrarian thoughts of others), it’s a bit laughable in you perceiving you’re right because you’re right (in your mind) and everyone that has an alternate view is wrong because you say so. A simpleton perspective and unfortunate.
I’ve no additional comments but think you’d get further with less venom...in -this-...and life.

I hope at least some of you understand why this is so frustrating for me. Am I a little hot-tempered? Absolutely. Is this thread a total clusterfuck? Definitely.
I understand since I agree that Smart Summon will almost certainly result in additional people getting injured or killed than if it wasn't released. I'm not exactly sure why I'm not as upset as you about it. I guess I see that people do get enjoyment out of it and that's got to be worth something. This is where the whataboutism in this thread has some validity since as a society we clearly don't value safety above all else (nor should we).
I can definitely understand it being frustrating when people say Tesla is way ahead of the competition if you work in the industry. Smart Summon is laughable compared to the state of the art in autonomous vehicles. In other threads people were claiming that it was being worked on by the B team but Musk confirmed that this is the work of the best minds at Tesla.