Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon stopped working after firmware update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar problem on my Model X. When I tried to summon with the mobile app, the breaks went off, lights started blinking but nothing more happend.

Turned out that I had disabled bluetooth on my celllphone. The car and the cellphone needs to be connected with bluetooth for this to work.

When visiting family, we back our X into a very tight garage for overnight charging, with no room to open the driver's door, having to use Summon to pull the car into and out of the garage.

Since receiving the X over a year ago, it's never worked well in this situation.

I have to stand very close to the vehicle to get Summon to engage, and it frequently stops after moving only a few feet.

Plus, the threshold at the front of the garage is fairly high - providing enough resistance that Summon disengages when trying to back into the garage - usually causing us to push the front bumper while it's backing in - to help it get over the threshold.

While I agree with the vehicle immediately stopping if it believes Summon has disengaged (with a very tight garage, you don't want it to move any more than you intend), what should take a minute for pulling into the garage often takes 5 to 10 to keep Summon active long enough to back in completely, especially because pushing is needed to get over the threshold...

Summon & Autopark only use the ultrasonic sensors - it may need them recalibrated or cleaned. You can clean the bumper sensors yourself to see if it helps but if they need calibration you'll have to bring it t Tesla. There are no cameras or bluetooth features used for this.

Summon & Autopark only use the ultrasonic sensors - it may need them recalibrated or cleaned. You can clean the bumper sensors yourself to see if it helps but if they need calibration you'll have to bring it t Tesla. There are no cameras or bluetooth features used for this.[/QUOTE

Your phone has to be connected to the car with bluetooth as a proof that you are standing by the car doing the summon. I think Tesla calls this a Proximity Check.

When visiting family, we back our X into a very tight garage for overnight charging, with no room to open the driver's door, having to use Summon to pull the car into and out of the garage.

Since receiving the X over a year ago, it's never worked well in this situation.

I have to stand very close to the vehicle to get Summon to engage, and it frequently stops after moving only a few feet.

Plus, the threshold at the front of the garage is fairly high - providing enough resistance that Summon disengages when trying to back into the garage - usually causing us to push the front bumper while it's backing in - to help it get over the threshold.

While I agree with the vehicle immediately stopping if it believes Summon has disengaged (with a very tight garage, you don't want it to move any more than you intend), what should take a minute for pulling into the garage often takes 5 to 10 to keep Summon active long enough to back in completely, especially because pushing is needed to get over the threshold...
- Did you check on the the maximal ditance front and rear allowed ?
- Did you check the option "tight garage" ?

Reactions: tranzndance
One of the issues we're having appears to be with the reliability of the Bluetooth connection outside of the vehicle.

And the other is a limit being set too low for how much power Summon will apply to get over thresholds.

Doesn't appears to be an issue with the distances or being a tight garage - since the software seems to be working (when the smartphone can connect) and as long as the smartphone is connected, it will back into the garage if someone helps by pushing the vehicle backward.

One of the issues we're having appears to be with the reliability of the Bluetooth connection outside of the vehicle.

And the other is a limit being set too low for how much power Summon will apply to get over thresholds.

Doesn't appears to be an issue with the distances or being a tight garage - since the software seems to be working (when the smartphone can connect) and as long as the smartphone is connected, it will back into the garage if someone helps by pushing the vehicle backward.
Try using the key fob instead of your phone. Press and hold the top of the fob for 3-5 seconds until the blinkers start flashing. Then press the trunk to move the car in reverse or the hood to move the car forward. Press any button (or door handle) to stop Summon. Alternatively you can initiate summons before you exit the vehicle: instead of pressing the park button once for Park, press it twice in rapid succession. It will park the car and enable summons. On the main display you can choose if you want to go forward or reverse. Then exit the vehicle and close the door. You can stop the summons by pressing any door handle or any button on the fob.
I think you have to enable all the features of beta summons from the main display prior to this working, and I also think it is only available in the United States (?).
My cars issue seems to be software/sensor related. I'm not sure if it's inability to initiate stems from something with the unique setup of my garage/driveway or something else. But, as I mentioned above in a post, I have figured out how to trick it into almost always working by backing the car into the garage to where the back bumper just barely crosses the threshold by an inch or two and then initiating summons. Seems to almost always work. However, if I pull in but don't cross the garage threshold it will not work and I get the same problem as shown in the youtube video. Car doesn't ever put itself in gear or flash the blinkers like summons was initiated. It only displays it on the dash and beeps.

I have been having the issue where my phone connects the car and I can initiate a summon, but it barely moves at all and then stops. I just tried it while still inside the car and noticed that my car is connected to WiFi at the beginning, but as soon as it shifts into reverse, the wifi drops (normal) and it goes to LTE. I'm wondering if that somehow breaks the communication between the phone and car. I thought it was Bluetooth but maybe somehow there is a new bug where that flip over somehow resets the bluetooth session too.

Also, in order to use the FOB, you have to disable the "require continuous press" option.

Summoning still seems to be hit and miss for me. I usually had to try it a few times to get it to work. I haven't tried it since the most recent update. So maybe its better now? Have you had any luck since their newest release?

I have been having the issue where my phone connects the car and I can initiate a summon, but it barely moves at all and then stops. I just tried it while still inside the car and noticed that my car is connected to WiFi at the beginning, but as soon as it shifts into reverse, the wifi drops (normal) and it goes to LTE. I'm wondering if that somehow breaks the communication between the phone and car. I thought it was Bluetooth but maybe somehow there is a new bug where that flip over somehow resets the bluetooth session too.

Also, in order to use the FOB, you have to disable the "require continuous press" option.
When I took mine to the service center with this issue they said that it could be an issue with wifi cutting out and switching over to 3G (I don't have the LTE chip). That wasn't this issue with mine since I tried disabling wifi so that it's always on 3G and it still has the same issue. In your case, though, it might work. Disable your wifi or forget the connection and see if that helps. If it does, you may consider moving your wireless router or adding a booster to increase your wifi in your garage. Best of luck!

Summoning still seems to be hit and miss for me. I usually had to try it a few times to get it to work. I haven't tried it since the most recent update. So maybe its better now? Have you had any luck since their newest release?
Most recent update didn't help in my case. I'm not super hopeful that this will ever be fixed. It does help to know that I can still trick the car by stopping after I've breached the garage, though.