Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon stopped working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a new firmware update yesterday but I still have no summon. "Go to target" gets the wheels to move left and right but it won't go forward or backwards. Dumb summon still just disengages the parking break and then reapplies it again with no movement. Annoying.

Reactions: Neilio
Following the car update the other day, and another app update today, I tried all this again. Still not working for me either. My wife's phone, the older app version, it works fine. I'm thinking the next step is with getting an email to the app developers, somehow.

To hazard a guess, I imagine it's the app not connecting to the streaming telemetry API (I think that's what it's called) that is responsible for the realtime data. The car API for engaging summon and putting it into drive may just be one off calls to the car rather than a continual connection stream.

Update from the service centre says that they know what the problem is and are expecting a fix in the next version of the app.

I agree with you - the car is getting the initial "move" command but not the continuous "button held down" information, so it considers the operation complete before it even moves.

Hello, guys! Have the same issue, just bought tesla m3p 2019, european, and summon is not working at all. I've tried tessie, as mentioned here. Also, have latest tesla app on my samsung s20+, just release brakes, some movement of wheels, and that's it. Firmware is 2021.36.5.5.
But, here in ukraine, we dont have official service, nearest is in Poland, so, it's not the solution for me

I have the same problem. Very intermittent for no apparent reason. It hardly ever works for my wife so that is a very big problem. Since I paid up front for FSD just to get this feature I am more than a little bit annoyed.
For a 'connected car' this seems like it should be a simple problem to solve. All other app feature work fine, lock , unlock etc why can't they get summon to work!

Reactions: Neilio
I tried this with my 2018 S on MCU1 and found it works, provided that home Wi-Fi isn't active, or if it is that it has been configured to stay active in Drive. It seems the transition for Summon from Parked to Drive is what causes the “Connection Interrupted” message on Android due to the sudden loss of wi-fi, despite having Bluetooth proximity (sat inside no less). Tried outside too, similar result.

Weirdly also starts up the infotainment music Internet stream, fairly loudly as heard from outside (inside volume only 4).

Not an ideal workaround, as it involves wasting energy during drives with Premium Connectivity.

Last edited:
I tried this with my 2018 S on MCU1 and found it works, provided that home Wi-Fi isn't active, or if it is that it has been configured to stay active in Drive. It seems the transition for Summon from Parked to Drive is what causes the “Connection Interrupted” message on Android due to the sudden loss of wi-fi, despite having Bluetooth proximity (sat inside no less). Tried outside too, similar result.

Weirdly also starts up the infotainment music Internet stream, fairly loudly as heard from outside (inside volume only 4).

Not an ideal workaround, as it involves wasting energy during drives with Premium Connectivity.
If it helps at all, the energy loss through keeping WiFi on during a drive is so small as to be unmeasurable.

It’s essentially a Tesla software bug, the manual for EU only talks of paired Bluetooth being within 6 metre and Summon travel limit of 12 metre. Nothing about Wi-Fi connectivity. There's also cancellation if "Your phone… loses connectivity to Model S", which I reckon they are handling by a connection loss event in code without checking for other concurrent/available connections. All Wi-Fi scanning comes with an energy hit, albeit a relatively small one compared to everything else while driving.