Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon via Key Fob outside USA (in Canada)

Who would like Tesla to bring back Summon via key fob outside of usa (Canada)?

• Bring back Summon via Key fob, summon via phone is not as pratical

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Summon via phone alone is fine by me.

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was an article (see link below) that stated Consumer Reports review of the Tesla Summon feature lead Tesla to release a “dead man’s switch” update shortly after. However, many customers expressed their frustrations online, saying the removed ability to summon via key fob severely handicapped the feature (for example, tight underground parking where cell phone reception is limited, or if phone is not on person, or very low battery, etc). Even now Canadians and many other countries don’t’ have the ability to summon from key fob only via phone. As with summon in the USA, the default setting can be Summon via mobile app, but there should be an option to summon via key fob (with acceptance of responsibility warning message). When will Tesla bring back the option for customers to use summon via key fob outside USA (Canada)?

Note: Please don’t say it’s because of government regulations (without proof), as I called Transport Canada and they said they are not aware of any restrictions on this feature by the government, and that the restriction is most likely a decision of the manufacture (Tesla).

Tesla to Fix Self-Parking Feature After Consumer Reports Raises Safety Concern

Hi folks, there is an new opportunity for Tesla to bring Summon via Key Fob outside of the USA (Canada, etc). On twitter Elon Musk ask for feedback on what features we'll like. For those who want Summon via Key Fob please use the link below and like the twitter post. The more likes, the more visibility I think. Note you don't have to have a twitter account to like, but to vote, yes.

KandK on Twitter

Summon via phone is completely useless. 90% of the time it can't even connect and would fail to activate… but not before making me stand next to the car with phone in hand looking like an idiot for 2 minutes.

Hey cynix, I completely agree. Now there is an new opportunity for Tesla to bring Summon via Key Fob outside of the USA (Canada, etc). On twitter Elon Musk ask for feedback on what features we'll like. For those who want Summon via Key Fob please use the link below and like the twitter post. The more likes, the more visibility I think. Note you don't have to have a twitter account to like, but to vote, yes.

KandK on Twitter

Hey cynix, I completely agree. Now there is an new opportunity for Tesla to bring Summon via Key Fob outside of the USA (Canada, etc). On twitter Elon Musk ask for feedback on what features we'll like. For those who want Summon via Key Fob please use the link below and like the twitter post. The more likes, the more visibility I think. Note you don't have to have a twitter account to like, but to vote, yes.

KandK on Twitter
Thanks for the reminder, I've replied to his tweet. I doubt it really makes any difference though. They've solicited suggestions many times in the past and hardly any requests made it through.

I am in Canada and hate summon by app.
Don’t get me wrong, the concept is actually fine, but in practice it doesn’t work. It only connects maybe one in 3 tries and when t does work (or times out) it takes over 30 seconds activate. Once you got it working, it will have a 5% chance of disconnection per second so maybe you can get it to finish once it actually starts every other try. Don’t even bother...

I won’t mind summon via app, as long as it actually works. Right now, it doesn’t.

Same deal in Australia, need to use the phone. Talk to Tesla salespeople, and they'll wax lyrical about Australian regulations... except the BMW 5/7 series have Summon via the keyfob in this market.

We also don't get a browser, with the same reasons given, but every Mercedes in the last 6 or 7 years has a built in browser.

Yeah, summon in the EU works very badly this is because there isn't a direct connection between the phone and the car. The connection is relayed via US servers which also adds additional latency.

Not sure how it is for Australians but I guess comparable issues. Tesla should have cars connect to local servers for car streaming services like Summon but I would also like summon to work with the keyfob as all times I wanted to use Summon was in a parking garage without any cellphone reception :-(

Tesla should have cars connect to local servers for car streaming services like Summon but I would also like summon to work with the keyfob as all times I wanted to use Summon was in a parking garage without any cellphone reception :-(
Our phones already connect to our cars directly via Bluetooth so there's really no reason to use a remote server at all. I wouldn't mind using the app for Summon if it can use the direct Bluetooth connection and can work in places without cellular connectivity, which tends to be places where Summon is needed the most, e.g. in tight underground parking spaces.

Same deal in Australia, need to use the phone. Talk to Tesla salespeople, and they'll wax lyrical about Australian regulations... except the BMW 5/7 series have Summon via the keyfob in this market.

We also don't get a browser, with the same reasons given, but every Mercedes in the last 6 or 7 years has a built in browser.

Yeah, that's not cool. So, i'm going to start a website and with enough backing i'm going to try and take these ideas/ customer feedback directly to Tesla. First online then maybe try and schedule a meeting at the California location with someone in charge of regional firmware updates and releases. I will try to also document my experience and post on YouTube. So for the things that really bug owners especially in other regions (outside the USA), so we can have a voice.

Reactions: Burnt Toast
Yeah, that's not cool. So, i'm going to start a website and with enough backing i'm going to try and take these ideas/ customer feedback directly to Tesla. First online then maybe try and schedule a meeting at the California location with someone in charge of regional firmware updates and releases. I will try to also document my experience and post on YouTube. So for the things that really bug owners especially in other regions (outside the USA), so we can have a voice.
One already exists. I believe it’s called ‘MoreTesla’ or something like that.
Check the Now You Know YouTube channel for a link.