Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon won't always stop.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It happened to me, it can happen to anyone.

I don't use smart summon. I've tried it 2 times and both were disasters.

Sadly, I am a heavy user of dumb summon which this post is about. The version where it goes forward and backwards and that's it. I didn't learn the first time it failed. I parked my car in a parking lot, used the app to press and hold to dumb summon it further into the parking spot. After releasing the button in the app, it took a few seconds for the car to stop. It almost hit the curb but stopped just shy.

That was the last day I used the app. The fob, unlike the app, has always been very responsive to me. After getting my refreshed x recently, I was bouncing off my chair with delight about receiving my x fob through the mail. I set it up a few weeks ago and went back to dumb summon bliss.

It happened again. I didn't park fully in a parking lot. I happily pulled out my fob. Press and held for 2 seconds to get the flashers going, and told the car to dumb summon forward with a hood press. I was delighted to see it straighten out as it pulled in. I hit the fob to tell it to stop.

MUH GAWD ITS NOT STOPPING.

press press PRESS , walk fast towards car, PRESS...

CRUNCH

My tesla drove into the sidewalk with its right tire, the front half of the right door trim popped off, the little front flap pushed up into the body, and the plastic shroud in the wheel well cracked. An explosion of plastic clips. I hurriedly went back to my tesla, pushed the trim back together and drove home. When I got home I pressed in the trim all the way. The lower right corned is completely loose but it looks otherwise pretty undamaged. Pictures post amateur repair are below.

I'm awaiting service to give estimates and repair.

In hindsight, I don't think there's much I could have done. The app would have taken too long to open. The fob was unresponsive, but i feel like if I ran infront of the car it would have stopped. I wish I thought to try sooner. The worst part? If repairs aren't that expensive I may not be deterred from using dumb summon in the future. Don't be like me.

20221126_163153.jpg

Attachments

• 20221126_163129.jpg
    20221126_163129.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 486
  • 20221126_163150.jpg
    20221126_163150.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 385
What software version do you have on the car? I can't remember which specific version it was, but one of my recent previous versions had a bug in it where Summon would fail to stop when I let go of the button on the Tesla app. Mine is set up to require a continuous press and would always stop as soon as I let go of the button. I had never had it fail in the 3 years before. Then in one of the recent FSD Beta software versions I encountered that software bug and twice I had it fail to stop. Luckily I was pretty close to the car both times and pressed on the door handle to make it stop. I very rarely use Summon, but I used it yesterday with the latest FSD Beta (2022.36.20) and it stopped right away like it should. So it looks like the bug was fixed to me, but don't know if any of the previous, more recent Betas fixed it.

By the way, I have a 2018 Model 3 LR RWD.

I'm on fsd beta 10.69.3.1. It could be a bug related to using the fob. I'm considering going back to the app after this. Totally forgot the door handle trick.

It's weird that I experienced this twice, both times in a parking lot. I wonder if there is some internet handshake which has to happen to cancel dumb summon and perhaps that was interrupted by poor connectivity in a parking lot.

Edit: and my tesla is a brand new refreshed x.

I'm on fsd beta 10.69.3.1. It could be a bug related to using the fob. I'm considering going back to the app after this. Totally forgot the door handle trick.

It's weird that I experienced this twice, both times in a parking lot. I wonder if there is some internet handshake which has to happen to cancel dumb summon and perhaps that was interrupted by poor connectivity in a parking lot.

Edit: and my tesla is a brand new refreshed x.
Do you have the setting on (in the Summon settings in the car menu) to only move while you press the button? If you do, the car requires constant communication with your phone/fob telling it that the button is still pressed. Otherwise the car will just stop, even if it or your phone/fob lose connectivity. That's the way it's supposed to work anyway, when there's no bugs.

Then again, using the keyfob might require that option to be disabled (not sure because I've never used a keyfob).

Reactions: ArchHamster
I believe you have to have push to stop enabled to use dumb summon with the fob. When I experienced a similar issue it was on the y and back before the app had some latency updates which is why I'm considering enabling the hold to dumb summon setting for the app again and going back to the app if the repair isn't too bad. Also standing next to the door but I'm my experience, vision only dumb summon is stupid cautious trying to avoid people. In the past, standing too close has always screwed up the parking alignment for this reason.

Fingers crossed the repairs aren't too bad. I'm looking forward to experimenting when I get the car back, in an empty car lot and with a Faraday box to see if I can narrow down what happened. Maybe I have a faulty fob.

Sounds like the new fob is optional (came in the mail), which means it's probably bluetooth (all 3/Y fobs were always optional and bluetooth AFAIK). This might explain the difference between the legacy fob and the new fob. In that case, perhaps if the option to require a continuous press on the fob were enabled, the car would stop when communication with the fob encountered an issue (and while this would be frustrating if it happened often, it sounds better than the alternative experienced by OP). Previous suggestion involving a firmware bug might still prevent such an expected result, though...

This sounds like FUD.

Summon is a failsafe as it requires a GOOD connection with wither the FOB or app to keep moving. If there is a disconnect or an issue with the signal it will stop.

Sounds like OP didn't realize he was still pressing the button and is now trying to blame it on the car itself.
Man, don't be a troll and try to start something. It's reactions like this to every. Single. Issue. A tesla owner reports which gives us fans an arrogant and unwelcoming reputation. I like teslas like the rest of us here, more than like, I bought two of them in the last year. FSD for both paid up front. Don't assume I have nefarious purposes. Did you see me once say that Tesla should repair my car for free because a bug i experience caused it to crash???
No. No you didn't. I read all the beta disclaimers like the rest of us. I understand the risk and that I'm ultimaltely responsible for these systems even if a bug is the direct cause of an accident. I accepted that risk to be apart of the bleeding edge. My repair estimate is only 600 usd. That's grocery money for me and I'm HAPPY to pay it. It literally costs less than trying to argue i shouldn't be held responible for the many waivers I signed before using these experimental systems. and besides the point, I agree that I am responsible.
I post here for two reasons. One to recieve empathy from other fans who experienced something unfortunate happen to them. Two, so if someone else experiences this bug, then there is a history online of it happening which may get it escalated to someone who has the expertise to debug it and solve it. I'm a HEAVY user of dumb summon, using it almost everytime I drive either of my cars. I had the system become unresponsive two times, I think for different reasons, and I suspect the cause of the first reason was addressed by a latency update to the app. Btw, as I thought I read in the manual. You CANNOT use dumb summon via the fob with press and hold. You have to enable the press to start and press to stop option. I did not make a mistake in pressing the button to try to stop it. My only mistake was forgetting that I could stop it by pressing a door handle, which I'm not going to forget when further testing this car. When something happens to you and your tesla in the future, I hope you post it online and are met with the love and empathy that I believe exists overwhelming in this community and not with trolls invalidating your experience and screaming FUD FUD FUD

Reactions: rpo and henderrj
Sounds like the new fob is optional (came in the mail), which means it's probably bluetooth (all 3/Y fobs were always optional and bluetooth AFAIK). This might explain the difference between the legacy fob and the new fob. In that case, perhaps if the option to require a continuous press on the fob were enabled, the car would stop when communication with the fob encountered an issue (and while this would be frustrating if it happened often, it sounds better than the alternative experienced by OP). Previous suggestion involving a firmware bug might still prevent such an expected result, though...
This is the refresh x on fsd beta with the mail fob since the fobs no longer come with new x's. I'm not sure what wireless protocol it uses to communicate with the car. I thought I remembered reading in the manual that continuous press wasn't compatible with fob initiated dumb summon but I went ahead and gave it a try anyways. As expected you have to have press to stop enabled for fobs.

While waiting for repairs, I gave it more thought. I'm leaning towards it being a faulty fob at the moment. When I first got the fob, I remember my x not responding to some button presses. At the time, I assumed the hard plastic hood button just needed to be worn in, but maybe the button itself is faulty. I'll bring it up to service and see if they can do any testing with it or send it back for deconstruction and testing. Anyways, I have a Faraday box, after I get the car back repaired I'll bring it to a empty school parking lot. Start summon with the fob, while standing close enough to cancel dumb summon with a door press, drop the fob into the box and see what happens for science and report back.

FWIW, I've personally experienced my legacy Model X fail to stop when I release on multiple occassions whenusing summon through my phone. This is true for both versions of summon.
Thank you. Are you on fsd beta too? Have you had experience with the fob? Push and hold or push and stop settings. Or some combination? Away or on wifi? Ask the latter because I feel like there may be a internet/satellite handshake that may need to happen to verify keys and that's why I've only had this bug in parking lots.

For reference my first bug was a year ago on the model y with normal fsd and pre phone latency update via phone. The fob bug this thread is mainly about was on my refresh x with fsd beta in a parking lot with no wifi (so only satellite/4g or whatever tesla uses default uplink), and most of my experience in both cars is dumb summon with fobs, which means push to stop settings but the first bug was phone.

I still wanna run some tests when I get my x back from service (which the appointment for is coming up) to see what happens with phone and fob signal losses (assuming my fob isnt sent in for testing), but it's sounding like this is a reminder to only use summon when there is something close to the front of the car while close to the door handle for emergency disengages. Really good info to know. I'll have to be more careful in the future.

Sadly, I am a heavy user of dumb summon which this post is about. The version where it goes forward and backwards and that's it. I didn't learn the first time it failed. I parked my car in a parking lot, used the app to press and hold to dumb summon it further into the parking spot. After releasing the button in the app, it took a few seconds for the car to stop. It almost hit the curb but stopped just shy.

That was the last day I used the app. The fob, unlike the app, has always been very responsive to me. After getting my refreshed x recently, I was bouncing off my chair with delight about receiving my x fob through the mail. I set it up a few weeks ago and went back to dumb summon bliss.

It happened again. I didn't park fully in a parking lot. I happily pulled out my fob. Press and held for 2 seconds to get the flashers going, and told the car to dumb summon forward with a hood press. I was delighted to see it straighten out as it pulled in. I hit the fob to tell it to stop.

CRUNCH

My tesla drove into the sidewalk with its right tire, the front half of the right door trim popped off, the little front flap pushed up into the body, and the plastic shroud in the wheel well cracked. An explosion of plastic clips. I hurriedly went back to my tesla, pushed the trim back together and drove home. When I got home I pressed in the trim all the way. The lower right corned is completely loose but it looks otherwise pretty undamaged. Pictures post amateur repair are below.

In hindsight, I don't think there's much I could have done. The app would have taken too long to open. The fob was unresponsive, but i feel like if I ran infront of the car it would have stopped. I wish I thought to try sooner. The worst part? If repairs aren't that expensive I may not be deterred from using dumb summon in the future. Don't be like me.

View attachment 878682
I have EAP and in Australia, I have tired Summon to back out of a Parking spot in Shopping centre and it fails all the time. When using in tight car spots to park forward it just will not move at all. I have also tired to use Auto park and it fails on both types. I am running 2022.40.4.2 I hope that it improves as presently even EAP is bad, the wife hates it so much she will not ride int hat car if I am going to use it. When I have tested it on open highways to change to another highway it fails all the time almost hitting guard rails as it wanders across the exit, have to take over control.

CRUNCH

View attachment 878682)

CRUNCH

View attachment 878682
Try deleting the app and reinstalling... I had connection problems and they disappeared after reloading. I did have LTE latest app upgrade at the time.

Moderator note: Moved an argument that was getting personal and off-topic to snippiness. Please be civil in your disagreements.

Thanks for understanding,

Bruce.
TMT needs a method for those moved to Snippiness to appeal to moderators to state their case. My OP and follow-up comment was moved to snippiness, but the person who replied to my OP was the one who was being snippy.

Thank you. Are you on fsd beta too? Have you had experience with the fob? Push and hold or push and stop settings. Or some combination? Away or on wifi? Ask the latter because I feel like there may be a internet/satellite handshake that may need to happen to verify keys and that's why I've only had this bug in parking lots.

For reference my first bug was a year ago on the model y with normal fsd and pre phone latency update via phone. The fob bug this thread is mainly about was on my refresh x with fsd beta in a parking lot with no wifi (so only satellite/4g or whatever tesla uses default uplink), and most of my experience in both cars is dumb summon with fobs, which means push to stop settings but the first bug was phone.

I still wanna run some tests when I get my x back from service (which the appointment for is coming up) to see what happens with phone and fob signal losses (assuming my fob isnt sent in for testing), but it's sounding like this is a reminder to only use summon when there is something close to the front of the car while close to the door handle for emergency disengages. Really good info to know. I'll have to be more careful in the future.
I am running FSD beta, but as I indicated, my X is legacy. I've never needed to set my fob to hold, so I can't say whether or not that would have a similar failure. I can say that there is definitely some latency even with the legacy fob or a door handle press, but that doesn't sound like what you experienced. My experience with latency via the fob vs a release not triggering a stop with the app is what lead to my suggestion that a bluetooth fob may behave moe like the app to begin with. Put another way, and thinking "out loud" without any real supporting information, I figure the legacy fob triggers a door control system that is always listening for specific fixed signals and has IRQ access to something internal while the bluetooth fob might have to connect to a computer system that only listens after a handshake where a lapse in communication could lead to input being lost if it is made during an additional handshake to reestablish communication. Note that the fobs are Bluetooth LE, and Bluetoothe LE may well have a way to circumvent that theory, but even inf the problem lies elsewhere, like in radio band interference (AFAIK, Bluetooth uses much more crowded bands), I figured it should stop regardless if you could require hold and the system couldn't see you were holding.

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps EAP is optimized or more mature here in the USA and less so (or not at all) down unda?
You could be right as when looking at Videos of EAP and FSD it shows always good drives, yet I have not had any luck with EAP. The drifting within a lane is bad and swerving when exiting is Dangerous and nearly hit guard rail split head on. I was even pulled over by police as they thought I was under the influence as the car was drifting so much and the the Exist swerving. The Police suggested I stop using it till it is working. I have 2022.44.25.3 Model 3SR+ 2021 with EAP.