Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cameras offer 360 degree coverage around the car.

The forward looking side cams absolutely see at 3 and 9 o'clock Again see diagram above.

It's my hope that the HW3 upgrade enables the 360-degree camera view. My guess (and it's not based on anything) is that the faster processors on HW3 enable realtime image stitching and simultaneous display of as much of that camera data as needed to make the full 360-view.

That's my wife's biggest complaint about the Model 3 -- her Buick can do it, why can't the super-advanced Tesla?

It's my hope that the HW3 upgrade enables the 360-degree camera view. My guess (and it's not based on anything) is that the faster processors on HW3 enable realtime image stitching and simultaneous display of as much of that camera data as needed to make the full 360-view.

That's my wife's biggest complaint about the Model 3 -- her Buick can do it, why can't the super-advanced Tesla?

the car has a 360 degree view now. The 2.5 computer means it's not running full resolution/frame-rate, but all the cameras are running.

If you mean the "overhead 360" parking view some cars have, your Tesla will never have that because it's physically impossible... the cameras aren't in the right location, or the right type, to be able to see the areas basically "under" the car like the bumper/fisheye lenses used in other cars for this feature- they're instead there to see other cars for driver-assist/eventual self driving purposes.

I mean- they do though. Check out the videos of what the cameras see. Or look at the diagram of the sensor coverage.View attachment 410884

The cameras offer 360 degree coverage around the car.

The forward looking side cams absolutely see at 3 and 9 o'clock Again see diagram above.
You seem to have an issue reading your own diagram. The diagram plainly shows ultrasonics only and only out to 8m at the 3 and 9 o’clock.

Can we put this stupidity to rest yet? It will not be able to detect on coming traffic.

You seem to have an issue reading your own diagram. The diagram plainly shows ultrasonics only and only out to 8m at the 3 and 9 o’clock.

No, it does no such thing.

Maybe you need some glasses?

The ultrasonics are the TINY bubble all around the car in the picture.

The forward looking side cameras are the MUCH LARGER arcs to the front/sides including at 9 and 3 o'clock that are labeled as going out to 80 meters.

Here's a marked up version to help you out since you're having so much trouble... red is the ultrasonic bubble.... blue is the side cameras vision of the sides

apmark.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
When moving forward, possibly what it has will be good enough (depends primarily on the radar capabilities). But assuming the Owner's Manual properly describes all the sensors and is not failing to mention some, there simply are not enough sensors in the rear to develop a good enough picture for the case of backing up. There isn't any amount of forward thinking that can change that.
Then why not always back in? Problem solved.

No matter how reasoned and thought out any of our arguments are, it's all speculation or at least based on speculation.

Something more to speculate on... even if the sensor suite isn't good enough, what's stopping them from providing a retrofit? They're already going to do that with the computer. Since they aren't using lidar, all of the sensors they're using are relatively cheap. There's already full coverage on the ultrasonic, maybe there's a spot where they can add radar to the rear. Not saying they need to but I'm reasonably sure that they've thought that part through.

Then why not always back in? Problem solved.

Exactly. That is what I and @Knightshade said earlier. The only question is the capability of the front radar, which will need to be quite wide angle in the case of flanking by two Escalades in a parking spot. There will be no other sensor other than the radar and ultrasonics available for use in this case.

@Knightshade TY very much for providing that person with evidence that he was so very clearly wrong.

It was bugging me greatly reading this thread at work and watching him act like a stubborn donkey.. "no.. no.. NO!!!!"

I just got home and was about to post the same proof you did. So yes.. let's please put this discussion of SIDE view cameras to rest.

the car has a 360 degree view now. The 2.5 computer means it's not running full resolution/frame-rate, but all the cameras are running.

If you mean the "overhead 360" parking view some cars have, your Tesla will never have that because it's physically impossible... the cameras aren't in the right location, or the right type, to be able to see the areas basically "under" the car like the bumper/fisheye lenses used in other cars for this feature- they're instead there to see other cars for driver-assist/eventual self driving purposes.

Understood - It won’t be the same presentation as other vehicles - ie the fisheye lenses all around - but we do have 360-degree data. If I could just have, say, the side cameras on display along with the rear when I’m in reverse, that would be useful in parking situations. That’s what I’m hoping HW3 brings - live presentation of more than 1 camera feed.

I do miss being able to see the curb as I parallel park. Or, even the stall lines when perpendicular parking.

Sure, Autopark should handle some of those use cases on its own, but there’s plenty of times I have to parallel park without its assist.

You messed up the quotes there but here's the relevant bits of what you said-

The sensor specs say the forward looking wide camera can see ~500 feet, the forward looking side cameras ~263 feet, and the radar ~550 feet... So seeing a car 200, or even 250, feet away is already within existing specs even far to the side of the car.

So your claim it can't see a car 50-100 left or right is simply not remotely factual.
We don't have radar right?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
;)
Exactly. That is what I and @Knightshade said earlier. The only question is the capability of the front radar, which will need to be quite wide angle in the case of flanking by two Escalades in a parking spot. There will be no other sensor other than the radar and ultrasonics available for use in this case.
Don't you think they would just have the car pull out of the space slowly & cautiously until the view improves? That's what I would do in that situation. I usually don't have a spotter watching for cross traffic for me & I've never crashed in a parking lot in almost 30 years of driving.;)

;)
Don't you think they would just have the car pull out of the space slowly & cautiously until the view improves? That's what I would do in that situation. I usually don't have a spotter watching for cross traffic for me & I've never crashed in a parking lot in almost 30 years of driving.;)

It’s a rare situation and usually this approach is ok, though it is your fault if someone hits you, even if you are going very slowly. This exact situation has never actually happened to me, though certainly I have used the go slow approach before.

That being said, the car will have to pull out even further than you would, before it can see. (If it is pulling out forward and radar does not have the angle.)