Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 newbie here...
Can someone explain Summon. 1st I did not pay for full self drive option, this car stretched my budget far enough anyway.
I read the manual and wondered afterwards whether 'simple' summon for getting car to back out of garage or a parking space maybe available with no FSB?
Am I wrong, what's the situation on this?
I looked at the autopilot settings on the screen and cannot see anything to do with summon, does that mean its with FSD only?
Just wondered, thanks.

Any form of summon is only available with Enhanced Autopilot (sold infrequently to help end of quarter sales) or Full Self Driving.

Real shame as I'd love to be able to move the car forward/backwards a metre or so without getting in the car but not at the current price.

Summon is way too panicky to reverse the car into a tight spot.

For basic summon you need to be close enough to touch the car at all times or it's liable to lose the key and stop. Pretty sure it only works with good Bluetooth signal. Last time I had to do it to let someone out of the driveway i basically had to walk with the car (it goes at 1 MPH). And reversing back it only did it to original position and no further.

So forget about moving the car while looking out of the house window.

Pretty much the only use is moving it out of a puddle, or if someone parks close to you.

Wasn't brave enough to try enhanced summon yet, and I'm not sure it works in UK.

It may have changed since because I haven't tried it for a few months but 'Summon' in Europe is not like 'Summon' in the USA or one of the many videos you might have seen. As mentioned above, the only way I could get it to sort of work was to be right next to the car.

"Summon" is the same here as it is there. forward and reverse.

"Smart Summon" also has the same functionality here as there (tell the car to drive to point X remotely) but the range it can go and the distance between the phone and the car is much reduced (because regulations)

I think it was available for 2 or 3 weeks last year, it's a little over half the price of FSD.

The upgrade from EAP to FSD has been reduced to £3400 (was £3900) so cost exactly half the price of FSD: Not too bad value at present in UK as has all of the features except ability to stop at traffic lights and stop signs.

I mainly got it for the ability to auto change lanes, but nice to know I can upgrade to FSD if ever worth it for same as I would have paid for it outright anyway.

Let’s hope Tesla offer EAP again in future so others can take a half step to FSD too!

Cheers guys, maybe not that useful then by the sounds of things, don't think I'm missing much
I have used summon to get the car out of the garage (I don’t need to but it was fun!). But... my garage has a short slope at the entrance rising 3 or 4 inches and summon won’t go up the slope.
I did use it in earnest when I wanted to put a garden trailer in the garage behind the car. Summon allowed me to be stand by the bonnet and get the car as close to the end wall as possible.