Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons Fail - Crashed - Body Shop Repair Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies. This should be two post.

After an extreme test of patience, finally got my PM3. I've been in new relationship mode. Less than 250 miles within the month, avoiding crowded parking lots; mainly staying in the safest place, the garage.

I'm rather tall and have been using summon to pull in and out of a tight garage. Two nights ago the car just kept going forward. Slow motion roll into the garage wall. Phone lost connection. Typically summon would just stop, but it kept rolling. I sent multiple emails indicating there was a failure - no response. Now, I accept responsibility. I know it was beta. I would think Tesla would be interested in why it failed.

Now I'm experiencing the pain of repairs, of which don't seem too bad. Fortunately, I'm in the Dallas area, which is piloting an in-house body shop. As of now the process is just as grueling as my initial wait for delivery. Instructions across the board have been inconsistent. Try one of these emails and hope for a reply: [email protected], [email protected]. I called support and the DC; they will direct you to utilize email.This video boast 24 turn around -

No idea what contacts or channels made this happen (youtube followers help). Not my experience. As of now I've been told I should receive word within 48 hrs for an estimate, if its possible to perform and in the meantime reach out to the handful of Tesla approves locations which quote 3-6 months for repairs.

I'll update as I go. Hopefully this will help others.

Attachments

• IMG_0990.JPG
    IMG_0990.JPG
    46.2 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0991 (1).JPG
    IMG_0991 (1).JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_0992.JPG
    IMG_0992.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 236
I have been way too chicken sh*t to use summon and this thread provides validation for my fears. There just appear to be too many problems. If I understand correctly summon is actually using the internet to communicate between the car and your phone.... I have no idea why it wouldn't simply use Bluetooth to maintain the continuous connection needed unless it's a range issue.

I could see maybe using it to pull my car out of a really tight spot if someone boxed me in but other than that, nope.

I also don't understand how summon, under ANY circumstances will drive right into something when it has ultrasonic sensors that tell it that it is within centimeters of a solid object.

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. I've posted this before, but in situations where there's going to be a long delay for parts and my Tesla was still safely driveable, I've had luck convincing the insurance company that it's cheaper overall to pay the body shop to reassemble the car after the initial estimate so that I can drive the Tesla instead of a rental. The reassembly and second disassembly cost paid to the body shop is way cheaper than weeks and weeks of a rental car. It took a few phone calls to reach someone at the insurance company with a brain and with some authority, but I was successful in convincing them.

And I've used both John Eagle and Trade Secret and John Eagle did a horrible job on my red Model S. Paint runs, drips, overspray on the glass and rubber. Horrible. Trade Secret is sometimes frustrating in their lack of communication (though they're getting better) and they're a bit chaotic because they're outgrowing their space, but they're currently expanding to improve that. Overall, I'd never let John Eagle paint anything of mine again.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and jrad6515
I don't use summon, but I thought on the S you could always override by touching a door handle. Since the 3 doesnt have touch sensors on the handles, is there no physical backup to stop a summon? Does pushing in on a door handle stop it?

I am also too chicken to try summon, so I dont know its inner workings.

Agree on the damage. Continuous press is/was enabled - likely won't use anymore. Tight settings.
If you have continuous press enabled, isn't it supposed to stop if you release your finger? I don't know why it wouldn't have done it when it lost connection then. I've used Summon a couple of times, mostly as a demo and to test how close it would park to shelves in my garage. Your story scared me enough to think twice about using it again.

i1Tesla has a YouTube video of a demo where he sat in front of his car and summoned it, and he had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit. Definitely holes there in the sensors, but a flat wall of boxes???

And honestly OP you should make this public and take it to an even more public forum like YouTube. If Tesla doesn't get called out on this stuff they aren't going to fix it.

Tesla fixes things via twitter and personal emails as well. Of course....you would never see the personal email fixes because you aren't part of them.

There is no reason to attempt to publicly disgrace Tesla unless you are a shorter.

I just tested my summon:

I have to keep the button held down on my phone for the car to move.

I held the button down and then shut my phone off while holding it and the car stopped immediately.

So what, the OP is a liar because yours worked one time? His also worked right up until it failed and caused thousands of dollars of damage to his new ride.

So what, the OP is a liar because yours worked one time? His also worked right up until it failed and caused thousands of dollars of damage to his new ride.

The OP is a liar? What?

I just reported what my car did so that others may do the same to make sure theirs worked.

Summon didn't fail in his case. Summon just moves the car back and forth. His sensors failed. The same sensors that go berserk in a car wash.

His sensors failed to stop the summon feature for some reason.

You have to make sure you tell Tesla what failed in a proper fashion is my point.

Hello?

Last edited: