Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons feature flaw

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, you never answered my question.

No, I'm not looking for random quotes nor do I wish to misrepresent anything. I am trying not to go tit-for-tat on every message, though - sometimes they say brevity is a blessing. I don't mean any disrespect if some point gets ignored. I try to make a reasonable effort to voice my opinion in a balanced manner and address the overall responses expressed.

I think this thread should have welcomed OP in a different manner, that's pretty much my message. The second part was discussing the actual concern: Summon functionality in the given scenario. Too bad that got lost in the noise, but at least we got some thoughts on that.

No, I'm not looking for random quotes nor do I wish to misrepresent anything. I am trying not to go tit-for-tat on every message, though - sometimes they say brevity is a blessing. I don't mean any disrespect if some point gets ignored. I try to make a reasonable effort to voice my opinion in a balanced manner and address the overall responses expressed.

I think this thread should have welcomed OP in a different manner, that's pretty much my message. The second part was discussing the actual concern: Summon functionality in the given scenario. Too bad that got lost in the noise, but at least we got some thoughts on that.
I think this is a good place to end it then. Cheers.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Can anybody shed some light on how the phone app actually works ?
I assume phone -> Tesla -> car ?
And then while using the summon function, e.g. pushing the "forward" button, how does the app send that ? Does it send a "still pushing" message every few tenths of second ? Or a simple 'forward on" at start of summon followed by a "forward off" message at the end ? The latter would be very error prone. And in any case, network latency must be a problem.

touche!

To build on my original point, there should be some kind of deterrent from people piling on a new poster because they think they are some fake fudster or something (points-based warning system that eventually leads to banning, timeout...whatever). It's actually amazing wussy put up with the abuse. I'm sure other people would have closed out the browser and never returned to this forum.
The deterrent you refer to is called shame. Also known as a conscience. The forum needs nothing.

Reactions: Max* and croman
Call it what you will... I look at these threads through a very simple set of lenses...

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If you're going to write a post like the OP did then you should be prepared to back that up or save us all the trouble and include your evidence with your post... Is that really too much to ask?

Jeff
Well said. Precisely.

Reactions: Gibson and Max*
I've got a just few 'summon rules' that I go by that have helped me to enjoy my summon experience:

1) I NEVER use the app. Seemed latent to me on first use and since then I've always used the fob. Especially sine my wifi stinks in the driveway.

2) I don't mess with summon w/ anyone inside the car, especially my kids, or in general pedestrian areas. (sidewalks, etc...) Not worth the risk.

3) Always be ready to physically touch the door handle. This is not difficult to run your car down considering it's going less than 2 mph and you have to be within a certain distance for it to even work.

Anyone that utilizes the summon feature on a regular basis knows that it does everything SO tentatively and slowly that I think most people found it shocking that wussy could not catch up with the car to tap the handle. Also, not attempting to use the fob seemed like an odd choice as well. Although some of the knee jerk reactions were harsh, I can absolutely see why there was skepticism here.

From his story, the car going all the way down the driveway, across the street and into the curb on the other side (to me) would've taken about 2.5 minutes at the speed and tentativeness that I am used to. I believe that there was possibly a malfunction here and I think it's a great lesson to everyone using this feature that we should all understand the different methods of shutting down summon. Also, most importantly as mentioned by many users in this thread, this car is not a toy.

Can anybody shed some light on how the phone app actually works ?
I assume phone -> Tesla -> car ?
And then while using the summon function, e.g. pushing the "forward" button, how does the app send that ? Does it send a "still pushing" message every few tenths of second ? Or a simple 'forward on" at start of summon followed by a "forward off" message at the end ? The latter would be very error prone. And in any case, network latency must be a problem.

Now this is a very good question. Thank you!

From his story, the car going all the way down the driveway, across the street and into the curb on the other side (to me) would've taken about 2.5 minutes at the speed and tentativeness that I am used to

Apparently in this case this may have also been a downhill scenario?

I believe that there was possibly a malfunction here and I think it's a great lesson to everyone using this feature that we should all understand the different methods of shutting down summon.

Agreed that knowledge how to shut down Summon is useful. The malfunction still seems interesting to me. @TomVdP raised a good question about that. There could be a vulnerability there?

I NEVER use the app. Seemed latent to me on first use and since then I've always used the fob. Especially sine my wifi stinks in the driveway.

Unfortunately not an option for us in Europe, though it would have been for OP. In Europe the keyfob Summon is disabled.

My thoughts on the whole phone activation of Summon is that the original idea/dream/desire (being careful not to use the word promise) was to summon the car from a long distance to arrive at your doorstep. The fob doesn't have the range to do that. They developed the phone activation of summon to 1) allow long distance Summon, and 2) tell the car where YOU are so it knows where to go (via the phone location).

Tesla found out that they were not ready to allow the car to, basically, FSD alone across a distance, but they still did the limited Summon to allow going directly forward and backward on a flat surface. They had already developed the phone activation and it was cool, so they released it.

It works great if the phone works great and the car has good connectivity, which is probably the case everywhere that it was tested.

Government ruling, so no logic required. :rolleyes:

How is it that no other government but US has approved this? Seems very specific and to apply so broadly indicates more than regulatory or administrative block. Maybe the EU could legislate on this but it seems odd its so specifically US only (maybe North American but that's still odd keyfob summon is not in a patchwork of countries).

I have to say, I've learned alot from reading this thread - unexpectedly. While I started out thinking "why would soneone do this, it's almost an honorary Darwin award contender (thankfully not, btw OP is not alone in doing unwise things..)," I ended up learning some useful things about how summon works best. Personally I've never used it, but ironically I did experience a good use case for it yesterday. I test drove a 100D yesterday (am approaching end of lease), and when I parked the car I didnt back it into the space far enough as I was trying to avoid abraiding the underside of the car on the concrete bar at the back of the space. The OA used summon to perfectly move the car the rest of the way into the space. Between that and the comments in the thread, I will probably start to use Summon now.

I must say the OP showed a very thick skin, to his/her credit.
Despite having chosen the handle wussy: the definition of wussy.

Does anyone see the irony of the discussion on bullying the OP? :) FTR, I value the information revealed by the subsequent discussion of the Summon feature, and hope all participants remain (or become) civil. At least to internet minimum standards. ;)

Despite having chosen the handle wussy: the definition of wussy.

Does anyone see the irony of the discussion on bullying the OP? :) FTR, I value the information revealed by the subsequent discussion of the Summon feature, and hope all participants remain (or become) civil. At least to internet minimum standards. ;)
This thread is already civil by internet standards, I've not seen a single death threat.

Since we're on the topic of summon though, I was reading some old 7.1 release notes and it mentioned enabling auto-park by double clicking the park button, getting out and closing the door.

Has anyone tried that? Curious if it still works in the current firmware, but apparently not curious enough to walk downstairs and try it.

• Funny
Reactions: unbelievable