Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons ? for current owners: How far off line can you start

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Intrigued about using summons to auto-park my MX in single car garage spot. I have the width issue worked out as well as depth and height of garage doors. Problem is that my driveway length is perpendicular to the garage door. I have 26 feet between my garage door and tall hedges on far side of driveway. I can 3-point turn my big SUV into that garage spot with no problem. If I have to do same thing manually for X, it kind of defeats purpose of getting out just to use summons to self-park, so my question is how far off the "ideal" line can the X start its auto-park in summons mode? Could you start 90 degrees off that line (parallel to long line of driveway) or do I have to be within 30 degrees of that line for summons to work, or 10 degrees, or right on the money? I'm just wondering how much prep work the driver must do to set-up the summons to work out the last part of finding that perfect line to self park. Thanks owners!

I don't have any hard numbers or experience with this exact scenario of a perpendicular driveway, but in my experience for summon to work it needs to be pretty much a straight shot.

Also, if there is any grade to your driveway that could also prevent summon from initiating. I can't remember exactly what my driveway incline is (maybe something close to 25%) but it has issues with summon; it has gotten better with recent firmware updates but it is still inconsistent. Backing out of the garage and down the driveway is not an issue; climbing the driveway is the issue.

I have a somewhat similar situation. I have my garage entrance at the back of the house, parallel to the drive. Therefore, I plan to reverse up the drive, and then drive forward + veer right, into the garage. I don't think summons will be able to work in this situation, but plan on asking at the Summons Event this coming Sunday (Toronto).

Intrigued about using summons to auto-park my MX in single car garage spot. I have the width issue worked out as well as depth and height of garage doors. Problem is that my driveway length is perpendicular to the garage door. I have 26 feet between my garage door and tall hedges on far side of driveway. I can 3-point turn my big SUV into that garage spot with no problem. If I have to do same thing manually for X, it kind of defeats purpose of getting out just to use summons to self-park, so my question is how far off the "ideal" line can the X start its auto-park in summons mode? Could you start 90 degrees off that line (parallel to long line of driveway) or do I have to be within 30 degrees of that line for summons to work, or 10 degrees, or right on the money? I'm just wondering how much prep work the driver must do to set-up the summons to work out the last part of finding that perfect line to self park. Thanks owners!
I wonder if you could use the "perpendicular AutoPark" function to park in your garage?

Reactions: loganintx
I've been told perpendicular autopark seeks white painted parallel lines for the cameras to spot. Unless I'm painted racing stripes across my driveway, dunno about that option, but I have previously asked about that one. Driveway is flat and I have not seen any invites for the social events this weekend, but will check your links. Thanks. Still hoping for real info on this feature...

I've been told perpendicular autopark seeks white painted parallel lines for the cameras to spot. Unless I'm painted racing stripes across my driveway, dunno about that option, but I have previously asked about that one. Driveway is flat and I have not seen any invites for the social events this weekend, but will check your links. Thanks. Still hoping for real info on this feature...
Autopark uses the ultrasound sensors to look for a gap as you drive along. If you can drive slowly past the front of the garage it might work.

Racing stripes would be worth it to get the car parked in a tight fit garage. I think I'll give it a try with some white sign vinyl. I know unless my X car is pointing somewhat perfect it's has problems.

Engineers at today's social event said it's not just white stripes on the ground it looks for but it is also looking for to sonar signals from cars on either the left or right side of those stripes. Unless there is some solid object on both sides, it won't turn in between those white stripes to park.

Engineers at today's social event said it's not just white stripes on the ground it looks for but it is also looking for to sonar signals from cars on either the left or right side of those stripes. Unless there is some solid object on both sides, it won't turn in between those white stripes to park.
I actually set out today to try AutoPark for the first time. What you express is exactly how the car worked. It under no circumstance recognized a parking spot based on lines, no matter how well they were visible. The only time it recognized a parking spot was when there was a large enough space between two vehicles and there were painted lines. Not once did it pick up a parking spot in unpainted parking areas even when there were two vehicles and a large enough space between them.

However, when it did pick up a parking spot, it worked great. My only concern was a couple times it would back into the space and then pull forward, out of the space, and then backup to recenter in the space. I am curious how it would handle a situation where another vehicle proceeded when it had backed in the first time, before it darted back out. Would it sense the cross traffic and stop, or pull out in front of it?

OK. Vehicles on both sides of my Model X makes my sonar automatically dismiss any parking space.:D