Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

summons is great although i cant get Iphone 6 app to work with it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used summons several times and it appears to work as expected. used it in driveway and garage opens well and closes behind it. I downloaded the new tesla software on my phone although I am unable to start the summons process with the phone. Do I have to activate it first with the FOB? The software does pop up and allow me to Stop the car, although I cant seem to initiate the forward or backwards process with the phone.

I have used summons several times and it appears to work as expected. used it in driveway and garage opens well and closes behind it. I downloaded the new tesla software on my phone although I am unable to start the summons process with the phone. Do I have to activate it first with the FOB? The software does pop up and allow me to Stop the car, although I cant seem to initiate the forward or backwards process with the phone.

Mines Works with my Phone and Key Fob Iphone 6s Here.....

Last edited:

Are you sure you dont have an android? :p

Make sure you meet all the conditions for Summon to be available. My understanding is that these are:

1. Your phone must be near the car.
  2. Your key fob must be near the car.
  3. The car must not be plugged in.

At this point, a big Summon button will appear above the car on the main screen of the app. Otherwise it does not appear, unfortunately without any indication as to which piece is missing.

Make sure you meet all the conditions for Summon to be available. My understanding is that these are:

1. Your phone must be near the car.
  2. Your key fob must be near the car.
  3. The car must not be plugged in.

At this point, a big Summon button will appear above the car on the main screen of the app. Otherwise it does not appear, unfortunately without any indication as to which piece is missing.

I can confirm that the Summon button will appear on the iOS app without the fob within range. It will complain though, if you push the button, that you need the key fob within range.

yes its a iPhone 6 plus. Yes I am near the car, with the fob without being plugged in. I go on the tesla app and cant find a button to summons. if I summons with the fob the app comes up allowing me to stop. but I cant initiate the summons with the phone.
I have the same problem, and the same phone, though I doubt it's the model of the phone.

I've done everything everyone says to do, and there is just no button on any page of the app to summon. I do get the notifications on the phone when I use the fob to summon.

It's not really a big deal though, as the fob works fine and is probably safer to use to stop the car (the phone response can be laggy)

iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.2 (131C75) [iPhone Settings: General: About]

Tesla app 2.7 (released Jan 9th)

2015 P85D running OS 7.1 (2.9.154)

Summon working exactly as advertised.

The only disappointment Summon not being able to park in our garage "front in" (HPWC is at left rear of our garage) via a 90º turn. Unfortunately our garage sits at right angle to driveway, not straight in access. Hopefully this will come in a future release since our Tesla can now park into a 90º parking space... but unfortunately only backing in which puts the HPWC on the wrong side. 8-(

iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 9.2 (131C75) [iPhone Settings: General: About]

Tesla app 2.7 (released Jan 9th)

2015 P85D running OS 7.1 (2.9.154)

Summon working exactly as advertised.

The only disappointment Summon not being able to park in our garage "front in" (HPWC is at left rear of our garage) via a 90º turn. Unfortunately our garage sits at right angle to driveway, not straight in access. Hopefully this will come in a future release since our Tesla can now park into a 90º parking space... but unfortunately only backing in which puts the HPWC on the wrong side. 8-(

It might be due me having a non AP car in the past. I only recently got it removed from my account (for a few month both cars were in the app), so maybe it still remembers something about it.

I'll try again at lunch, if it still does not show, Ill delete and reinstall the app to see if that helps.

Side note: does the app feature Siri integration at all? If not, it should. August is set to launch hardware this month that lets you lock/unlock the front door with Siri, and also check the status of the lock. Similar functionality for Tesla would be awesome. Also, Apple Watch integration would make it even better.

Is it a good idea to use the app to summon? There's a lot of telecommunication needed (and lots of places where packets can be delayed) with that method, vs using the fob which directly communicates to the car.
I personally won't. It's discussed in other threads, but as you suggest, IMHO there are too many additional variables using WiFi. I'll always use the FOB with this first iteration of Summon.

I removed and reinstalled the app and it still did not show the summon button, even though I was 4 feet from the car.

Then I used the fob to unlock the car, and at that point the summon button appeared on my phone.

Maybe the car needs to be unlocked for summon to work with the phone (or at least the first time)?

I bought I'll ever use the phone for actually summoning the car (the fob is easier and safer), but there might be times when I could use it to open the garage door.

That is HomeKit integration, which is somewhat different from third-party app integration. Siri works with HomeKit, HomeKit is an official Apple framework, and third parties can create HomeKit-enabled devices.

In theory, Tesla could make the Model S a HomeKit-enabled device and make it work that way, but you're limited to built-in device types and commands, so you'd have to call the car a "switch" or "garage door opener" or similar, and the commands would be "open" or "turn off." It would not be a good experience as it currently stands.