Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Summons: What could go wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use the Summons feature with the key fob twice a day to go in and out of my garage. So far I have had no issues and I love the feature. That said, owners have had their car hit something while using the Summons feature. I am curious what may have caused the Summons feature to fail. Any opinions or answers? Thanks

If you can see the car and are in close proximity to be able to touch a door handle or press the keyfob to stop summon, you should be fine.

Just don't mess with summon without being ready to intervene, 99 out of 100 times it'll work well, but we have a enough stories from that pesky 1 time it fails.

I have been using it in my tight fit garage for 2 weeks now. Couple of times it almost hit the hand rail of the stairs in the garage. It may have stopped but I stopped it on the fob anyway cuz I didn't want to take the chance.

Backing into the garage I can do it myself, but I feel with summon I can keep an eye better.

Tesla has 1 Radar, 8 cameras, 12 sonars so in theory, it should not collide to anything while summoning.

But it still does occasionally so I guess Tesla has not used all of them and the software needs to be updated.

It literally does not use anything except the 12 ultrasonic sensors. And those can miss objects that are too high or too low, or even too close together.

One day hopefully Summon+ will get here with more sensors in use, but for someone using Summon today, it's worth remembering that it's entirely based off what the parking sensors can and can't see, so the same intuition when trusting parking sensors applies to when Summon is moving the car.

Reactions: bhzmark
Tesla has 1 Radar, 8 cameras, 12 sonars so in theory, it should not collide to anything while summoning.
But Tesla does not guarantee that collisions during Summon will not occur. So always be ready to intervene. And keep in mind that the ultrasonics cannot detect soft objects or very thin objects even if they are hard like a metal.

I've used Summon at least a dozen times, just for fun, and it worked as advertised. But I was watching very carefully...

FWIW, I use Summon about twice a week to get in and out of a tight parking stall. I've been doing this for over a year now, and it's worked like a charm except one time where it seems to have lost sight of the wall and started turning towards a wall. I was able to abort it without incident… but it still goes to show, you gotta stay vigilant.

The car moves at a glacial 1mph, so it is extremely unlikely to hit anything before you can react, unless you aren't paying attention to it.

Biggest issue is that it cannot see curbs that are tall enough to hit the front valence. My car drove right up on top of a curb, scraping the underside of the front valence and lifting the car up a couple inches (car automatically went into "jack mode" which was interesting).

• Funny
Reactions: KevinY
I use the Summons feature with the key fob twice a day to go in and out of my garage.

I try to avoid creating new threads for similar subjects, so this is somewhat related to the title of this one...

First, as far as "what could go wrong"...

Using the key fob to initiate Summon will likely drain the battery of the fob exponentially quicker compared to using it for quick actions like unlocking the car. Another member noted this in another thread recently. I used to use the app for Summon, however that was too slow of a process, so I defer to the key fob if I use Summon at all.​

Second: Annoying issue with Summon and Homelink...

When using Summon to back my car out of my garage, my phone immediately receives two notifications advising that Homelink was activated. One is for the car opening the garage door and the second is for closing it.​

If I wasn't already standing right there as the person who initiated Summon - watching the door open and close, these Summon/Homelink notifications may actually be helpful. Instead, they are annoying and it appears there is no way for me to disable this particular Summon notification.​

I asked Freemont and they confirmed:

Thank you for your email. In response to your question on Homelink notifications, there is no setting to disable them, only to reset or delete them as you already know. If there are any further updates with the homelink notifications, we would be happy to let you know. In the mean time, we appreciate your feedback and welcome you to contact us for any further questions or concerns.​

Maybe I'm just too picky? Nowadays, I rarely use Summon for the reasons mentioned above. I hope we see a drastic improvement for Summon in the next few years <-- giving myself a realistic and achievable time frame.