TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Doug_G, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

As many of you know, I've been helping Sun Country Highway with the development of their charging network. I just thought I'd let you know about some exciting new developments.

Yesterday, in St. John's, Newfoundland, a Tesla Roadster started on a long journey. It will wind its way across the continent, visiting cities all along the Trans Canada Highway, before ultimately arriving in Victoria, British Columbia. Along the way, all charging will be provided by the new Sun Country Highway electric vehicle charging station network. That's right, it's now possible to drive coast-to-coast entirely under electric power!

In a recent tweet Tesla Motors called it "the World's Longest/Greenest Highway Project!"

Chris Misch is tweeting about his progress at Sun Country Highway (SunCountryHwy). They dodged a bit of a bullet today, managing to squeak by just before a landslide washed out the Trans Canada!

At the end of the journey Sun Country Highway will roll out the full charging network, facilitating long-distance travel by electric vehicles for all Canadians. Tesla owners will be particularly interested to know that the majority of these charge stations are capable of 70A power.

2. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

Fantastic news Doug! I look forward to seeing the location map. I see there are a couple of Best Westerns already listed on PlugShare, making a road trip from Toronto to Montreal easily doable on 70A.

3. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Many things are really cool about this. Here's just a couple of them:

A) They're doing it in the winter time. It will be cold. It will probably snow. There won't be any campgrounds open for charging.

B) The electrification of SCH is an impressive initiative that leaves me wondering why nobody is doing this in the States other than Tesla with their proprietary SuperChargers.

4. slyastro

slyastro Member

Hello all!

I'm also helping them out for the Quebec part. I live in Trois-Rivieres and I'm happy to tell that there is two 70 Amps chargers there (one in the Eastern part of TR, and the other on the western part).

It's worth saying that most of those charging stations are free for at least 2 years !!

This is really interesting for model S owners (and Roadster owners), since it is available now !!

Congrats to Kent and his team for being such a visionary !! Hope they will be «contagious!!

5. Spurkey

Spurkey P04251

This is great news, hopefully the trip goes well for you guys. I have to admit being a bit surprised at the lack of media coverage of this event, even on SCH's website itself there's no direct mention of this trip:

Sun Country Highway

The only thing I could find was a passing mention to the trip from a month ago:

Riding the electric highway | Sun Country Highway
    Community - World Longest/Greenest Highway Project - Clear across Canada!

In another thread you said that the list of charging stations was being kept secret until the end of the trip, is the whole trip also not being 'media-blasted' until its termination?

6. clea

clea Member

they have a few entries on their facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/suncountryhighway) which looks like it will be updated as they progress across the country ...

7. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Yippee! I will make good use of this. Hopefully soon! I wasn't sure if they had the prairies done yet, so that means a Tesla delivery party may be slightly possible for me (unless taking delivery in a different province is too much of a hassle!)

Kudos to SCH!

8. Orthonos

Orthonos Member

Love this! Great site too - nice for people to see their EV options.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

10. Zapped

Zapped Model S - PURE EV

Does Sun Country Highway have a list of charging stations installed across Canada ?
    I couldn't find anything on their website.
    ReCargo and PlugShare do not seem up to date

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The nationwide charging station map will go up when they arrive in Victoria.

12. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Cool map. I'd love to head back to Newfoundland someday; we spend most of the time in Gros Morne. I think I feel an EV road trip coming on in the not-so-distant future... and it's certainly cheaper than flying!

13. Olivier007

Olivier007 Member

Hi everyone,

I am responsible for the business development for Sun Country Highway in Quebec and New-Brunswick.

We will start the Quebec branch of the tour next tuesday and we would like to see as many people as possible at each of our stops.

If you wanna come down and talk to us about our network or EV cars please don't hesitate.

If you need more informations about N-B & Quebec please send me an email
    at [email protected] and i'll be able to help you.

Tuesday: riviere-du-loup - Quebec city
    Wednesday: trois-rivieres - boucherville

Come hang with us!!!!!

Thanks

Olivier Delisle

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk HD

14. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

@Olivier, keep us posted! I'd love to meet you all in South-East Manitoba! Any idea when you'll be there? Maybe I can keep my schedule open for it...

15. Olivier007

Olivier007 Member

We are doing media events at every locations and we are sending out media release all along the tour. Next week is Quebec and the beginning of Ontario.
    Yu can check our twitter & Facebook to see all the links for media coverage!!

Let me know if you need more informations.

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I was looking at Sun Country's web site and their equipment spec sheets. They would seem to have 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90 and 100 amp variants of their charger. Are the ones "capable of 70 amps" that you mention the 90 amp model (delivers 72 amps continuous) or the 70 amp model (delivers 56 amps continuous)?

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

They are "90 amp" models. It was decided to deploy those instead of "100 amp" for now so they wouldn't strand the Roadster owners (whose cars refuse to charge if 80A is offered - some sort of bug that Tesla has known about for a long time but hasn't fixed).

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That's great. I figure that should give Model S about 50 MPH of ideal range if I'm doing the math right.

19. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yup, that's pretty close to what I get from them. Of course it depends some on weather, how hot the car is, actual volts and amps at the unit, etc.

20. Olivier007

Olivier007 Member

Hi,

Just to clear out something.
    At Sun Country Highway we are using the actual unit voltage number instead of the continuous amps.

So the model number is the unit voltage (cs90 - 90 amps - 72 continuous)
    I know it' s different from what most people are use to.

Thanks

Olivier Delisle
    Business development
    Sun Country Highway