Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Country Highway Cross-Canada Tour

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SCH CS-90 installed and operational.
Anyone driving thru St. Albert, Alberta is welcome to charge up.

Tesla SCH 2.jpg

SCH CS-90 installed and operational.
Anyone driving thru St. Albert, Alberta is welcome to charge up.

View attachment 16081

21 inches high performance summer tires in Edmonton, Alberta ???

How's the driving with them? They must be hard like WOOD when it's below -10° C ! Is it because you're waiting to receive your winter tires or you decided to ride with the summer tires for the rest of the winter?

21 inches high performance summer tires in Edmonton, Alberta ???

How's the driving with them? They must be hard like WOOD when it's below -10° C ! Is it because you're waiting to receive your winter tires or you decided to ride with the summer tires for the rest of the winter?

Riding out the winter with summer tires. It works if there's not snow. My garage is heated so if the stops aren't too long, the tires are fine.
Have to set the Regen to LOW so the back wheels don't drag when slowing down on hard pack snow.

Yes, to my surprise and very unlike the Roadster, you can get a wiggle in the Model S when you let off quickly.

I think they need to work on this. Also a "snow mode" might be a good idea. Lots of cars have them.

Hopefully the TC (as currently implemented) will catch it before the "wiggle" turns into something worse. This has been my fear (perhaps unsubstantiated) of having the re-gen on the go-pedal in slippery conditions. (I had a loss of control accident on an old RWD ICE when the tranny downshifted going down a hill and the rear wheels broke free).

I've deliberately tried it and it certainly feels unstable but it self-corrects. You just get a tail wiggle.

I haven't tried it on a corner (bad idea to decelerate while cornering anyway) but I would assume the stability control would kick in.

I've deliberately tried it and it certainly feels unstable but it self-corrects. You just get a tail wiggle.

I haven't tried it on a corner (bad idea to decelerate while cornering anyway) but I would assume the stability control would kick in.

I have tried it cornering hard in a snowy parking lot and yes, the TC kicks in and the wiggle corrects itself and becomes more of a standard feeling with TC engaged. If it happens now, I just ignore it, continue to steer and let the TC handle it. It's just a little strange when you do not expect it but no big deal once you understand it. I have also put my Regen on low for now. I find it helps a little too.

In my experience the rear wheels lock (no TC, there's no wheels spinning freely to stop) and I either have to press the accelerator slightly to unlock them or stop the car by engaging the front brakes. LOW regen gets rid of the issue
Actually it's good for making a quick turn... kind of like pulling the emergency brake to whip the back end of the car around on a RWD.
I'm exaggerating of course.. don't do that anymore but still remember the feeling.
And after all I am running summer tires, obviously a no no in winter anyway.

If you're ever out in Alberta, the company I work for will be installing a public charging station SCH CS-60 at our business in the next couple of weeks.
We are located close to the rugby, foot ball and soccer fields in St. Albert, AB The location will be on the ReCargo site and we will ask SCH to post it also once it's installed.
A CS-90 charger will also be donated, hopefully to the City of St. Albert, close to downtown, to promote our green city.

http://www.stalbert.ca/community

After reading this thread I am amazed about the SCH. We are definitely going to visit Canada. My wife has always wanted to go to Quebec and we have a friend in St Johns. Being retired we have the time so why not.

Yesterday I heard that a friend is driving from Arkansas to Alaska in an ICE and I was envious as it was my dream when I was much younger. What's the chance of me doing this in my Tesla? Could I make it or should I stick to the SCH and Canada?

After reading this thread I am amazed about the SCH. We are definitely going to visit Canada. My wife has always wanted to go to Quebec and we have a friend in St Johns. Being retired we have the time so why not.

Yesterday I heard that a friend is driving from Arkansas to Alaska in an ICE and I was envious as it was my dream when I was much younger. What's the chance of me doing this in my Tesla? Could I make it or should I stick to the SCH and Canada?

My wife and I just drove our Roadster from central VT to North Carolina and back last week. 1800 mi total. We didn't have to make too many sacrifices compared to an ICE. Not quite AR to Canada but we could have easily kept going south. Canada doesn't have any superchargers yet so long trips are actually much easier in a Roadster than a Model S. SCH is great and I wish more people were doing the same in the US.

I have to admit I'm not your average EV driver when it comes to long trips. I have some equipment that makes it a little easier. We mostly plugged into dryer outlets at the friends and relatives houses we were visiting. One place we stayed had a very old electrical system. The fuse panel was just that - all fuses. We blew a 30A fuse while pulling 24A and didn't find out until the next morning. That delayed our start, but we still went 525 miles that day. On SCH you aren't likely to have that problem.

A long road trip in an EV is an adventure. Depending on your orientation and skill, that will make the trip better or worse. In our case it made it better. We felt a little bit like pioneers in the early days of gas cars when there weren't many gas stations.