Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Joe Snow Foam - OK to use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting into the weeds with car washing! I have a Sun Joe pressure washer, so I ordered a foam cannon attachment and to use with it, the Sun Joe Premium Snow Foam: Sun Joe Detailing Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleaner, Orang

However, in reading the Model 3 manual, it states:
CAUTION
Some cleaners and car shampoos contain chemicals that can cause damage or discoloration, especially to plastic trim pieces, lamps, or camera lenses. For example, some car cleaning formulas contain hydroxide or other highly alkaline or caustic ingredients that can damage exterior components. Damage or discoloration resulting from cleaning products is not covered by the warranty.
So, I took a look at the product sheet for the Sun Joe Premium Snow Foam: https://files.snowjoe.com/product-manuals/SPX-FCS1G-SDS.pdf

which includes (amongst other things):
  • Sodium dodecylbenzensulphonate
  • Sulfonic acids
  • C14-16-alkane hydroxy
  • Mazox CG
  • Sodium laureth sulfate
Is this potentially harmful to the Tesla's exterior? Is there a recommended car shampoo for the Tesla?

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
I am getting into the weeds with car washing! I have a Sun Joe pressure washer, so I ordered a foam cannon attachment and to use with it, the Sun Joe Premium Snow Foam: Sun Joe Detailing Snow Foam Car Wash Soap and Cleaner, Orang

However, in reading the Model 3 manual, it states:

So, I took a look at the product sheet for the Sun Joe Premium Snow Foam: https://files.snowjoe.com/product-manuals/SPX-FCS1G-SDS.pdf

which includes (amongst other things):
  • Sodium dodecylbenzensulphonate
  • Sulfonic acids
  • C14-16-alkane hydroxy
  • Mazox CG
  • Sodium laureth sulfate
Is this potentially harmful to the Tesla's exterior? Is there a recommended car shampoo for the Tesla?

Thanks!

I am not a chemist, so I can't speak to the specific ingredients. Before using this soap, I would find out from the manufacturer if the soap is pH balanced. I would avoid using soaps that have a high pH (are alkaline). I do not see a pH rating on the product info sheet but it does say it is safe for waxes and sealants. This usually indicates that it is a pH balanced soap. But if you want to be extra careful, you can contact the manufacturer directly.

BTW, I would use a higher pH soap if I wanted extra cleaning power or was preparing the car for a ceramic coating. But if you use a higher pH soap, you should be ok as long as you wash the car in the shade and out of direct sunlight, rinse it off quickly and do not let the soap dry on the paint.

Thank you @joebruin77 ! Yes - that makes a lot of sense - as long as the pH is balanced, it should probably be A-OK. I am also probably overthinking this was too much :)

I'm sure you're the only person on TMC who overthinks washing their Tesla :) .

If there was a support group for Tesla owners who are OCD about washing their cars, it would be very well attended!

• Funny
Reactions: Narya
ha, I just got mine. I can assure you, I'm overthinking it as well. I've watched way too many videos. I was about to do my own ceramic coating... but then I came to my own senses. 😆

Up until now, I have only used the ceramic spray sealants. But I honestly think it would be fun to do my own ceramic coating. I am planning on using Dr. Beasley's NSP 45 polish, followed by one of the new Gyeon Evo coatings, either Cancoat Evo or One Evo.

Up until now, I have only used the ceramic spray sealants. But I honestly think it would be fun to do my own ceramic coating. I am planning on using Dr. Beasley's NSP 45 polish, followed by one of the new Gyeon Evo coatings, either Cancoat Evo or One Evo.
what stopped me from doing it was the fact you really need a spacious and well-lit garage. That simply isn't my reality.
I can tell you that I had in my cart carpro cquartz uk 3.0 + gliss. On a positive note, my car is coming home from the "spa" tomorrow

what stopped me from doing it was the fact you really need a spacious and well-lit garage. That simply isn't my reality.
I can tell you that I had in my cart carpro cquartz uk 3.0 + gliss. On a positive note, my car is coming home from the "spa" tomorrow
Cquartz is an awesome coating and I’m sure your Tesla will look amazing.

I don’t have a spacious garage either and I need to apply my coating outside. The new Gyeon Evo line of coatings are advertised as being outdoor-application friendly. Cancoat Evo is especially quick to apply. You can do the whole car in less than 30 minutes.

• Informative
Reactions: goinelectric