TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sun Roof Not Opening

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Ojas Ray, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

So, not sure if I am doing something wrong -- or its a known issue.

But I was driving back home to NJ from VT - and tried to open the sunroof for a few seconds -- and it would not open.
    I was able to move the slider on my screen - but it just didnt open. check out video link below:

Dropbox - SunRoof Not Opening.MOV

any ideas??

2. mblakele

mblakele radial cross member

Well, I'd try a scroll-wheel reboot. If that didn't work, I'd contact service.

3. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

There seems to be an issue with 8.1 2.40.42. I have this issue as well and have rebooted. The work around is to select to display sunroof on the drivers console, and then open it. Darn nuisance because it never used to work that way. Now if I have trips displayed one one side and energy on the other, rolling the scroll wheel will vent the roof but not open it. Ditto with the slider on the big screen.
    Cmon Tesla stuff like this should not be happening!!!

4. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

I have a service appointment tomorrow -- will give you an update ...

5. spacegeek

spacegeek New Member

Just had this same problem last night--I was demonstrating features to a friend. The sunroof stuck in the open position (45%) and THEN IT STARTED RAINING!! I rebooted the console with no impact--it stayed open. I put a tarp on top and walked away. 1 hr later I came back and it closed. I have a service appointment scheduled.

6. scottm

scottm Active Member

I would love to have a retro-steampunk crank on the roof to use as a backup if the motor fails to fire up and do the sunroof.

Or for that matter... roll up windows. That would be so cool. Maybe for Model 3, never know!

7. spiderbro

spiderbro Member

Anyone who went to the SC get an explanation and/or resolution to the problem?

8. Ojas Ray

Ojas Ray Member

I took it to the service center - they said they replaced the sunroof module - apparently, everything was fine (wiring, connections, etc) they couldn't figure out why this was happening, so they thought something in the module might be the issue, so they replaced it...

• Like x 1
  9. spiderbro

spiderbro Member

Thanks for the update!

10. CraigS

CraigS Member

Don't know about you guys, I'm continuing to have this issue. I think I had it in the P85D once in awhile also. Over the last couple of months about 75% of the time the first time I try to open the sunroof from the big screen it shows that it's open on the screen, but the roof doesn't actually open. On the screen I click close (sometimes it makes a little noise when I do this, like it's trying close 'more') and re-open. On the second attempt it opens 100% of the time. While annoying, it always opens eventually, I tend to forget about it. Hopefully I remember next time I'm in the SC.

11. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

My sunroof issue version 1 sunroof, was a mechanical issue. It was physically being stopped from opening. Service centre fixed by making a ramp at the rear of the sunroof which allows it to slide up and so open.

12. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Keep trying.. Mine does not open on the first attempt but will usually open on a subsequent attempt. Probably just another bug like the folding mirrors that dont always open all the way.

• Like x 1
  13. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

That is how my issue started but gradually got worse.

14. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Here is mine...

15. CraigS

CraigS Member

That looks to mine, feels like a glitch. Seems like it happens more often right after I get in the car as opposed to 15-20 minutes later.

16. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Seems that you have to hit close even though its closed for it to get unlocked and then it will open. Strange but after I hit close first it will always open afterwards.

• Informative x 1
  17. CraigS

CraigS Member

Thanks! I'll give that a try! -- maybe that's how the programers could "fix" this bug - just code a "close" whenever you get in the car and the sunroof is already closed :)

18. LED_FT

LED_FT Member

I have found that hitting the close button first, which then outlines the sunroof with a dotted line, registers/resets the sunroof with the touch screen and the buttons work. In the past I would just slide the slider and it didn't seem to register with the sunroof mechanism.