Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Roof Not Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be an issue with 8.1 2.40.42. I have this issue as well and have rebooted. The work around is to select to display sunroof on the drivers console, and then open it. Darn nuisance because it never used to work that way. Now if I have trips displayed one one side and energy on the other, rolling the scroll wheel will vent the roof but not open it. Ditto with the slider on the big screen.
Cmon Tesla stuff like this should not be happening!!!

There seems to be an issue with 8.1 2.40.42. I have this issue as well and have rebooted. The work around is to select to display sunroof on the drivers console, and then open it. Darn nuisance because it never used to work that way. Now if I have trips displayed one one side and energy on the other, rolling the scroll wheel will vent the roof but not open it. Ditto with the slider on the big screen.
Cmon Tesla stuff like this should not be happening!!!
Well, I'd try a scroll-wheel reboot. If that didn't work, I'd contact service.

I have a service appointment tomorrow -- will give you an update ...

I have a service appointment tomorrow -- will give you an update ...
Just had this same problem last night--I was demonstrating features to a friend. The sunroof stuck in the open position (45%) and THEN IT STARTED RAINING!! I rebooted the console with no impact--it stayed open. I put a tarp on top and walked away. 1 hr later I came back and it closed. I have a service appointment scheduled.

I would love to have a retro-steampunk crank on the roof to use as a backup if the motor fails to fire up and do the sunroof.

Or for that matter... roll up windows. That would be so cool. Maybe for Model 3, never know!

Don't know about you guys, I'm continuing to have this issue. I think I had it in the P85D once in awhile also. Over the last couple of months about 75% of the time the first time I try to open the sunroof from the big screen it shows that it's open on the screen, but the roof doesn't actually open. On the screen I click close (sometimes it makes a little noise when I do this, like it's trying close 'more') and re-open. On the second attempt it opens 100% of the time. While annoying, it always opens eventually, I tend to forget about it. Hopefully I remember next time I'm in the SC.

Seems that you have to hit close even though its closed for it to get unlocked and then it will open. Strange but after I hit close first it will always open afterwards.
I have found that hitting the close button first, which then outlines the sunroof with a dotted line, registers/resets the sunroof with the touch screen and the buttons work. In the past I would just slide the slider and it didn't seem to register with the sunroof mechanism.

Sorry to bump an old thread. But I have the same issue where the sunroof seems to be sticking to the rubber gasket. Anyone have any ideas, thanks for the help.
I have a 2014 model s. The sunroof tries to open and sticks on something in the rear. I can manually push up on it as its opening and it will open all the way. It like its not rising fast enough and sticking on the gasket. Does anyone know a fox for this?