Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
This is a straight forward question.
Which do you prefer?
Curious how choice might effect resale value...
I have 2 days to Change my order. I’m a bit conflicted. Current Model S has Sun Roof. Ordered an S with All Glass Roof Yesterday. I think I will miss XM more than Roof rack option. Feel free to post pros & cons, safety concerns...or just vote your preference.

Depends on if you use the sunroof. I love the option to open the sunroof and let fresh air and sunlight in as I drive somewhere on a nice day. I personally can't imagine owning a car without a sunroof I can open. I think the Tesla panorama sunroof is a great compromise because the rear passengers still get a glass panel above them.

Reactions: plumazul
So the poll suggests somewhat of a split decision. And pretty much where I was in my own head.
Just curious if the presence of a sunroof would be a dealbreaker for anybody purchasing a CPO car?
Either having it or not having it versus the all glass roof.

Some have spoken about the pano being a little noisier than the all-glass version, but others have noticed no difference at all.
I'm coming from a Toyota FJ with all-terrain tires and a 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - i'm sure the noise level of my MS with the pano roof will be night and day compared to my ICE vehicles :)

If headroom is anything of concern the All Glass Roof is MUCH better. Gives a lot of more headroom both front and back. I had the Panoroof in my previous Model S and even if I had the seat at it's lowest position I hit my hair slightly in the roof. And just wiggling my head the slightest against the driver side window I hit my head in the roof. With the All Glass roof there is lot's of room for my head! Same thing in the back seat. With the pano roof I was not able to seat in the back without leaning my head inwards (if I sat in any of the outer seats). With the All Glass Roof I can sit comfortable in the rear without hitting my head in the roof. I'm 6'1 btw.

Also. If sitting in the drivers seat the glass start earlier/closer to the front windscreen. this mean that you as a driver can easier see out through the glass above you. It begin earlier and also is farther out to the side.

The tinting on the All Glass Roof is also stronger. This for me has resulted in a lot less heat coming into the cabin even if I have the black interior.

Also, during colder months, I've had noticeable less of cold air coming from above my head than I had with the Pano roof. And also less rattling and a more solid feel overall with the All Glass Roof.

Obvious only downsides are that you can not open the roof and not mount roof rack. And this question can only be answered by yourself. For me I have use for neither so it's a no brainer with the All Glass Roof. And it's also Free of charge so what not to like :)

Should also add that the Model S with Panoroof was an early 2017-model and the one I currently have with the All Glass Roof is a late 2017. I think Tesla did some updates with the sealing of the All Glass Roof compared with the version that was manufactured early 2017.

Good luck with your choice!

• Informative
Reactions: David29
A solid colored roof would be the definite deal breaker for me..
Solid colored or All Glass? I should have specified 2018 car in 3 years from now, hypothetically.
EA9F779B-E679-41ED-8F7E-EF630DB167C7.jpeg

Reactions: Don TLR
Solid colored or All Glass? I should have specified 2018 car in 3 years from now, hypothetically.

That's a beautiful car right there.. To me I have to at least see the sky no matter which version but prefer pano, I'm a CPO guy so I take what I can get and when I update next year Ludicrous is way higher on my list over pano and will take glass for the right car..

Panchratan You can stream the Sirius or XM app any way, I have 2 Sirius lifetime subscriptions and wasn't adding XM just to link up through my car.

Coincidentally, it is 69F here this afternoon, even though it is still winter here. So I opened my sunroof for the first time since last fall, and loved it.
I do agree that the sunroof either leaks in cold air, or conducts heat out excessively, in the cold weather. I suppose I could insulate it (the way Tesla Bjorn does, e.g.) but so far I have not.
The lack of a sunroof option is one of the factors affecting my decision about Model 3.

I actually prefer the solid roof, I had a panoramic roof on many of my previous cars and on my wife's ICE and have never used it to be honest, it just extra weight and extra things that may break.
I fully understand why people prefer either the pano or glass, but it's not for everyone.

Nice car on order (seems familiar ;) ). I got the sunroof only because I make use of satellite radio. I've had sunroof / moonroof on my ICEs for many years but almost never opened them. FWIW, the tint of the sunroof seems fine in the Arizona sun.