Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Shade hopefully not necessary on the M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't had the fortune of sitting in a model S or X so I can only compare to the ICE cars I've driven. Your post gives me hope it'll be OK but I'd love to see the pictures, maybe you can upload them to imagur and then link them? ....BUT if sun wasn't an issue then why are you leaving your add-on sun shades on all summer? I'm genuinely interested, not trying to be argumentative.

You make a good point and I don't see you as argumentative.
I feel a slight warmth on bright sunny days without the sunscreen. I don't notice that when I have them in. I also like that it is slightly darker with the sunscreens in, still letting in light but less so.

(My photos are on photobucket--can I get those to show here?)

Last edited:
The top version S class has electronic tinting - demonstration in this video at 4.10min in. Pretty cool and i dont think the tech would be expensive to make. So i wounder why not more cars have it. Having a standard feature like this in the model 3 could position the m3 as the greatest car of all time. Even if it were not standard lots of people would pay a few $1000 for this as a option - including me.

I haven't had the fortune of sitting in a model S or X so I can only compare to the ICE cars I've driven. Your post gives me hope it'll be OK .

I have kept the sunroof sunshades closed on every ICE car I have ever owned since I suffer from extreme light sensitivity (migraines and all). I have had no issues with excessive light entering the S pano after nearly 3.5 years. I did purchase the Tesla sunshades to own just in case I might need them. I tested the shades for approx. 1 week and found that my eyes don't require them, so back into the travel bag they went. If someone had told me that the tint/coating on the S pano was sufficient enough to not need a sunshade, I wouldn't have believed them. I will be getting a fixed pano on my Model ☰. I hope my experience helps.

It was mentioned by one of the drivers at the launch test drives -- there is a video floating on youtube. there is still possibility they cut it from production, but as of a month or two ago, it was at least a plan.

I would totally go for the fixed pano too, but from what i understand, you can't remotely roll the windows down -- and with pano roof, i'd anticipate the inside of the car getting rather warm. you can however vent the sunroof from the app. if its not a big price difference between the two, i might be forced to go for the pano sunroof, though i don't love the idea of the extra moving parts.

Is that confirmed to be an option, or speculation?

I would've loved a fixed pano on my S, in the year I've had it I've never opened the pano, but I love the view and don't want a solid roof.

• Informative
Reactions: linkster and Max*
Is that confirmed to be an option, or speculation?

I would've loved a fixed pano on my S, in the year I've had it I've never opened the pano, but I love the view and don't want a solid roof.
I was under the impression that the fixed pano was the standard roof option and that you could upgrade to the sun roof or down grade to a solid roof. Am I confused on this?

Dan

Reactions: melindav
I was under the impression that the fixed pano was the standard roof option and that you could upgrade to the sun roof or down grade to a solid roof. Am I confused on this?

Dan
I was asking because I don't know, lol.

The S does not have an option for a fixed roof, so I was surprised that the 3 did. Don't get me wrong, surprised in a good way, I want a fixed glass roof.

Dan
No one (except Tesla insiders) knows which is standard. Just because the prototypes had it doesn't mean it will be standard. Just like the dual motors they had.