Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun shade / netting / canopy for Tesla inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone installed a sun shade or cover or some sort of military grade netting over or around the tesla Inverter to help with the heat? I am suffering from a daily restart of the Tesla system.

-
The only reason mine does not drop to 0 is because I have two systems. One 8kW Tesla and one 4kw sunpower. The drop is from the Tesla inverter restarting, while the sunpower still continues to produce.
-

Last time the tech was out he mentioned this being a common problem and then I should perhaps build a roof / awning above the inverter and powerwalls. Still need to call in to have service take a look and or send someone out to look at the coolant, but it at least sounds full and OK.

I do think that a small purpose built awning would help with heat, but worried it may not look that great. Perhaps some sort of UV reflective netting?

Has anyone done similar?

182826D5-8A5A-40EF-8931-6922AF3F7D79.png
3E7533BC-193A-491F-B38C-A50CCDD48E74.jpeg

curious... your picture seems to be showing a powerwall next to a powerwall+ and not your inverters... (well, one might be peaking through behind your gate)

I'm also very jealous of your chart... mine shows a lot of those dips throughout the day because of my neighbors' trees and a chimney on my south-facing roof.

As it turns out, I don't think my restart issue is heat related at all. The fans & coolant make a very smooth and consistent sound, which suggests there is plenty of coolant in the lines. The fans only run 100% from roughly 1-3pm.

It seems that the restart is completely software driven, as it predictably increases by +10 minutes each day.
See here - Daily reset/shutdown of my Powerwall+ and/or Inverter after coolant top-off?

So for the time being, I don't think I necessarily need to add any shading.
Perhaps others may be finding the same thing.

The inverter is the box above the powerwall+ on the right. You are right in that I have 1 PW2 (on left) and 1 PW+ on the right.

The box you are seeing behind the gate is actually my main panel.
My gateway and backup panel are in the garage.

More pics here - Post Your Tesla Solar Layout

And yes I am in socal (san diego), in a newer community, almost desert-like climate, so very few fully grown trees (palm). Very dry out here and rarely a cloud in the sky, so quite optimal for solar! Because of the CA new home mandate, every home started with a 4kW sunpower system. I then added 8kW and 2 powerwalls of Tesla.

Producing about 80kW per day in the summer on a 12kW system.

Reactions: SadSolar
I'm just a few miles north of you in Orange County... 8.16kW system generating 36kW/day in summer :(

Have any pics of your roof? Do you have lots of shading?

We have the majority of our panels on the west/south. Only 4-6 facing east. For us, only thing that would cause shading would be a cloud :/

Our 4kW sunpower produced 27 kW today. Tesla reports 77W total. So the 8kW Tesla for us produced 50kW.

Sorry for the late entry, but I live here in AZ and have decided to shade my Powerwalls, located on East side of house, with a wooden garden shed, I'm going to cut out the floor and back, drill some holes in top and bottom for ventilation and slide it over my Powerwalls.

Attachments

• 1639438885000.png
    1639438885000.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 137