Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun shades for a road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new 2022 model 3 over here. Two issues I’m hoping to solve. When I’m parked in the sun all day, the car is spending a lot of energy trying to keep cool. Will the Tesla sunshades (or another brand) help much? Should I also get a windshield shade?
Also we’re about to take our first road trip. I’m wondering about driving with these roof sunshades. One of my kids is 5’9-10”, so might it be annoying to her if it droops down at all in the back?

I ordered my Tesla branded and made ones last week. We are heading out on a road trip in a few weeks and your will come in handy. There are plenty of YouTube vids, comparing the Amazon® ones to Tesla®.
Please let us know if you can see out the back from the rear view mirror. If you can then I'll pull the trigger. I don't like those 1/2 shade ones on Amazon. Tesla seems to be the only ones that will cover the entire back.

I used to have an electric sunshade on the back window of my Audi and I could still see.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Upvote 0
Please let us know if you can see out the back from the rear view mirror. If you can then I'll pull the trigger. I don't like those 1/2 shade ones on Amazon. Tesla seems to be the only ones that will cover the entire back.

I used to have an electric sunshade on the back window of my Audi and I could still see.
Will do. I’ll post pics too.

Upvote 0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVX82NJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heatshield, The Original Windshield Sun Shade, Custom-Fit for Tesla 3 Sedan 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 Silver Series​

I ordered this one for while I am parking. Been using this brand for many years and on all my cars. No problem so far

Tesla Model 3 Sunshade Model 3 Accessories Glass Roof Sunshade​

Use this for the roof for two years now, ended up tinting the back windows so don't use the back ones as often, but still use the front. Apparently the front sunroof is "UV protective".

Long story short, ended up just tinting all windows except the sunroof.

Upvote 0
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVX82NJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Heatshield, The Original Windshield Sun Shade, Custom-Fit for Tesla 3 Sedan 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 Silver Series​

I ordered this one for while I am parking. Been using this brand for many years and on all my cars. No problem so far

Tesla Model 3 Sunshade Model 3 Accessories Glass Roof Sunshade​

Use this for the roof for two years now, ended up tinting the back windows so don't use the back ones as often, but still use the front. Apparently the front sunroof is "UV protective".

Long story short, ended up just tinting all windows except the sunroof.
Thanks! Sounds like I should look into tinting.
These are the ones I ended up ordering. I just installed the roof shades last night. We’ll see how it goes! Road trip starts Friday.

Reactions: Snowball316
Upvote 0
Well, the Tesla OEM sunshades arrived today and I gotta this:
  1. They fit really well, as in snug
  2. Extra clips even though they don't seem to fall off easily
  3. Visibility is great through them, so you hardly notice them being there
  4. They might add some sound deadening, but I will be better able to confirm once I'm out driving
  5. You do lose a bit of headroom, but I'm average height at just under 5'10"
  6. From all the vids I've seen, I should expect a decrease in cabin heat and the HVAC might need to work less
  7. Oh, and they're not cheap, nor are they cheaply made
Pictures to follow.

Upvote 0
I also have the Tesla sun screens for my M3. They do work, my head was baking during the spring, but now, with the screens I am in a South of France heatwave (the app said 53 c in the cabin today) the top of my head is fine. They are made from a see through mesh so you can still see through the rear window. Definitely recommend them

Upvote 0
Brand new 2022 model 3 over here. Two issues I’m hoping to solve. When I’m parked in the sun all day, the car is spending a lot of energy trying to keep cool. Will the Tesla sunshades (or another brand) help much? Should I also get a windshield shade?
Also we’re about to take our first road trip. I’m wondering about driving with these roof sunshades. One of my kids is 5’9-10”, so might it be annoying to her if it droops down at all in the back?
I think the Tesla style, which are see-through, will help block the sun from getting in and heating the parts inside - not to mention reducing the effects of the sun like fading, etc. However, I don't think they will actually block the heat because they aren't reflective; I think they are black, which we all know absorbs heat. The ones you see on Amazon that have the silver lining on top will work better to reflect the sun's heat, but they all seem to only partially cover the back to allow you to see out. So there is a bit of a problem in that the back section is only supported on the sides, and most of them will sag several inches, and could be annoying to some. I have a set of these, but rarely have anyone in the back seat. However, I'm thinking about getting some of those stick-on Velcro patches to support the back and see if that helps.

Upvote 0
Well, the Tesla OEM sunshades arrived today and I gotta this:
  1. They fit really well, as in snug
  2. Extra clips even though they don't seem to fall off easily
  3. Visibility is great through them, so you hardly notice them being there
  4. They might add some sound deadening, but I will be better able to confirm once I'm out driving
  5. You do lose a bit of headroom, but I'm average height at just under 5'10"
  6. From all the vids I've seen, I should expect a decrease in cabin heat and the HVAC might need to work less
  7. Oh, and they're not cheap, nor are they cheaply made
Pictures to follow.
Here’s the pics. I seem to have no issues with visibility.

Attachments

• E2B2516E-FFD8-4A20-BC94-46B4CBE82C22.jpeg
    E2B2516E-FFD8-4A20-BC94-46B4CBE82C22.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 146
  • 1CDFB581-085C-47E3-95B8-2DF57B281E08.jpeg
    1CDFB581-085C-47E3-95B8-2DF57B281E08.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 102
  • 119ECD04-C49E-4052-8328-70D4F4F1CEBF.jpeg
    119ECD04-C49E-4052-8328-70D4F4F1CEBF.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 0
One final note. NO FRICKIN INSTRUCTIONS!!!! So I figured out from the video on the Tesla site, that the label needs to be on the driver side, for the two shades. Lastly, DO NOT PUT A CLIP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE REAR ONE unless you intend to later dig it out from your rearview stop light area. I figured this out before running into the problem.

Upvote 0

My favorite for front windshield - same as the amazon link but direct link to manufacturer. Mine arrived in 3 days free shipping.

Upvote 0

My favorite for front windshield - same as the amazon link but direct link to manufacturer. Mine arrived in 3 days free shipping.
Oh ya, I got one of those from my previous Corvette and it fits just nicely too.

Upvote 0
The roof sun shades have helped, but adding a ceramic tint takes it to a whole other level. I had Xpel Prime XR Plus ceramic tint installed on my roof and rear window. That has made a huge difference. I noticed shortly after installing it 3 years ago that the AC kicks in less often to keep the cabin cool. I think the ceramic tint will extend the life of the AC compressor and is definitely worth the expense.

Upvote 0