Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Visor Rattle - Solved!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the common and annoying sun visor rattle since delivery. After taking it into the SC for other work, they replaced it with the "latest" part, even though mine is a Dec '18 build. The rattle went away for about a month, but then came back. I could rotate it to fix for a day or two, but then it came back.

After several attempts, I finally found a permanent fix! The rattle is caused by the magnetic center piece of the visor contacting the outer "housing" of the visor. So if you pull out the magnetic post and wrap the outside of it, that fixes it. There's not much clearance, so you need the right thickness to allow movement. Here's the material I used, along with photos: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5ZGY47

IMG_20190401_104234.jpg
IMG_20190401_104251.jpg

18034DE5-D048-4732-8302-1A8831BEAA80.jpeg
Ok, electrical tape did not work well. Too little, still rattled. Too much, kept magnet from sliding in & out. Tended to jam it up.

But my new solution appears to work great! I stuck a small patch of 1/4” thick window seal foam tape on the pillar and it puts slight pressure on the visor and stops the rattle. Success! See pic...

Reactions: frank-datank
I've had the common and annoying sun visor rattle since delivery. After taking it into the SC for other work, they replaced it with the "latest" part, even though mine is a Dec '18 build. The rattle went away for about a month, but then came back. I could rotate it to fix for a day or two, but then it came back.

After several attempts, I finally found a permanent fix! The rattle is caused by the magnetic center piece of the visor contacting the outer "housing" of the visor. So if you pull out the magnetic post and wrap the outside of it, that fixes it. There's not much clearance, so you need the right thickness to allow movement. Here's the material I used, along with photos: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L5ZGY47

View attachment 392570 View attachment 392571

I did exactly what you did it worked perfectly!! Thank for the fix!

Reactions: frank-datank