TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sun Visors 2016

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by jimtelsa, Feb 11, 2016.

1. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

So I hate my visors

I have tried raising my seat, rotating them, but they are too small
    I have heard there is a upgrade visor at Tesla that you have to complain about
    Anybody have any pictures of these if they are out there?
    Do newer teslas have different visors?
    What is the latests information. Looked at too many old threads with no updates
    thanks

2. BertL

BertL Active Member

My understanding is the original MS visors were even smaller or of some different design from what has been shipping with MS for some time now. I also thought the original versions were swapped-out to the current design, but I'm not 100% on that. We'll have to let "old timers" weigh-in on the situation, or try some searches as I know I read about it here somewhere in my research phase before ordering last Fall.

3. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

#3 4SUPER9, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    jimtesla, what year is your MS? I had a 2013 with small miserable visors. They were simply ridiculous and there are some threads discussing this from WAY back. In my case, both mirror covers broke, for no particular reason. Tesla replaced them with their newer visors, which are significantly larger: both wider and taller. There was a massive difference in usage for me, and never I was frustrated with them since. They did not sink into the headliner exactly the same way, but in the year or so that I the new visors, I never noticed the difference.

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I have the original visors. For me they are okay, but I purchased a couple of green squares from Scotty's Pilot Shop. They really help.

5. Iz

Iz EVs are here to stay

Also have the original visors (March 2013). They are not very functional, particularly when driving west in the late afternoon.

6. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

The original visors are smaller than current production. Current ones are perhaps an inch or so deeper, if I remember correctly from the loaner I had with them. They look essentially the same, just slightly larger, so they work for significantly more seating positions. The mirrors/mirror cover in the newer ones are slightly nicer as well (better hinge/cover aesthetics).

The old ones work fine for me, but I set a high, upright seating position, so I haven't bothered asking for replacement with new ones.

7. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

My early 2013 car had the visors swapped out... but only because it came delivered with no mirrors. I was told I would get vanity mirror lamps (the test drive car I was in back in 2012 had them) but that never happened. The replacement visors themselves are exactly the same size... if not, they would not have folded up into the recess in the headliner properly.

The trick is not to fold them back against the glass. The rake of the windshield is such that if you do this, they will barely cover any of the windshield. Open them so that they are hanging straight down. I am 5' 10" and actually am "short" from the waist up, but folding the visors straight down will cover my field of view right to the horizon, which is more than adequate.

8. BertL

BertL Active Member

Agree with your suggestion for positioning the visors... Don't push them too far back against the glass and you get pretty good coverage with the latest generation. FWIW, my 10/2015 MS does not have lamps on those visor mirrors and I have every option except rear jumper seats, so you didn't miss out on a goodie that at least fairly recent builds are receiving. ;)

9. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

Any pictures?

10. BertL

BertL Active Member

Remember to say "Thank You" :)

S90D 10-5-2015 Delivery w/ Black Headliner -- Sunvisor UP
    IMG_1222.jpg

S90D 10-5-2015 Delivery w/ Black Headliner -- Sunvisor DOWN
    IMG_1223.jpg

11. jimtelsa

jimtelsa Member

Wow Bert yours is so much bigger than mine. lol

Really have changed, wonder if I said anything to Tesla about how poor Mine are they may change them out ?

Maybe they would just swap out my whole headliner for black. That looks awesome.Bert

P.S. Thanks Bert

12. BertL

BertL Active Member

:biggrin: You're welcome.

13. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I have a car as below and today have a 2013 loaner. They are the same size. I have no problem with them. I guess I am a height that works at 5'11".

14. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

Really? Are they the same shape as the ones listed in BertL's post above? On those, the warning sticker is on the side. On the old style, the warning label was centered

15. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

There was, early on, a promise to swap all visors with ones incorporating lamps. It seems they have conveniently forgotten that promise!!

16. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Well-Known Member

Tesla would never break a promise! This just comes down to how strictly you define "lamp."

Some might say that a lamp has to be able to "create" light, but others might argue that a device that can reflect light might be considered a lamp. Under just the right circumstances, with enough real light being shined at them, those safety stickers actually reflect light.

Voila--we have our visor lamps.

17. iffatall

iffatall Member

Wow, I was not aware of this change. Are you guys saying that just complaining about the old ones is enough to get them replaced within warranty?

Also, do the new ones fit with the recess in headliner on the 2013 cars?

18. 4SUPER9

4SUPER9 Active Member

They do not fit exactly, but well enough. You will not be bothered by it at all.

19. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

They replaced both of mine recently because the 2012 vintage ones had broken. The new ones are much larger and more usable. Highly recommended.

20. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

Wow, that's huge compared to mine. Mine are about half that size with the sticker in the middle. I really like them but I'm 6'. My wife and kids complain about them though and they do seem ridiculously small.