Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sun Visors 2016

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 6'4" and want to remove my visors completely. Their thickness when folded up flat takes away about an inch of visibility that I'd rather have out the front window. My seat is all the way down. If the sun is really low in the sky, I sit up a bit straighter and the roof headliner itself acts like a visor that nearly comes down to the horizon.

Just don't need 'em .

Wow, that's huge compared to mine. Mine are about half that size with the sticker in the middle. I really like them but I'm 6'. My wife and kids complain about them though and they do seem ridiculously small.
Call you local service center and tell them that you and your family are incredibly frustrated. Ask for replacements. You never know what might happen.

They replaced both of mine recently because the 2012 vintage ones had broken. The new ones are much larger and more usable. Highly recommended.

Weird. I have the original early 2013 design and they are more than adequate. I can block my view right down to where the highway meets the horizon and I tend not to sit very "high" in the seat. As mentioned before, the trick is not to fold them back flat against the windshield... you have to keep them more vertical that what you may be used to, but that has more to do with the rake of the windshield than anything.

Weird. I have the original early 2013 design and they are more than adequate. I can block my view right down to where the highway meets the horizon and I tend not to sit very "high" in the seat. As mentioned before, the trick is not to fold them back flat against the windshield... you have to keep them more vertical that what you may be used to, but that has more to do with the rake of the windshield than anything.

I, too, had adapted to the use of the original visors and probably wouldn't have asked for them to be replaced had they not been broken.

I think it's more accurate to think of the new ones as being more versatile. I prefer a relatively high seating position but for folks who like to sit low, the new ones will work better. They're also better for use on the side when the sun is low.

Update: I have a new-ish loaner today and I note it has the slightly bigger visors. For some odd reason, Tesla didn't modify the headliner and they don't fit into the smaller recess that is molded in for them. I think mine look a lot better when stowed than these do.

Update: I have a new-ish loaner today and I note it has the slightly bigger visors. For some odd reason, Tesla didn't modify the headliner and they don't fit into the smaller recess that is molded in for them. I think mine look a lot better when stowed than these do.
That is interesting. I am assuming that this is an earlier model that had the visors changed out. Never bothered me one bit. In fact, I was so happy to have visors that worked for me, I probably never was too concerned. I believe the new headliner accepts the new visors. Well, I would hope so!

Yes, IMHO it does. It's a bit dark, but check out my first photo back in post #10. It's fits fine to me. ;)

Your post #10 is what I see in the loaner I currently have. While fine, they don't sit (near) flush in the recess like the prior ones did. The visor is about 1/2 to 1" longer than the recess to my eye. I'm not sure why Tesla didn't make the recess in the headliner a bit larger to match the larger visors, but as I say it's fine and I'm just nit-picking.

Your post #10 is what I see in the loaner I currently have. While fine, they don't sit (near) flush in the recess like the prior ones did. The visor is about 1/2 to 1" longer than the recess to my eye. I'm not sure why Tesla didn't make the recess in the headliner a bit larger to match the larger visors, but as I say it's fine and I'm just nit-picking.
AHAHAHA. I agree. Could be something up in the frame that does not allow a deep enough recess -- but I'm glad them made the change. I use the visor almost every day and would be very sad with what I read the 1st gen provided.

How old is your loaner? I am wondering if it is the old headliner and the visors were retrofitted.

How old is your loaner? I am wondering if it is the old headliner and the visors were retrofitted.

Well, it's gone back now and I didn't note the VIN. It was a P85 without the Auto Pilot hardware, but I suspect it was one of the last cars off the line without it. The car had the new rear applique, the alcantara inserts on the dash, newer hi-res dash screen and the new visors.

No need to wait for Tesla. We're working with Evannex to develop a very easy-to-install upgrade that will provide light for all Model S visors. It's in the beta stage. Stay tuned.

The car I drove back in 2012 (Get Amped event) did have vanity lights. I had a checklist of things to look for during that drive. They looked very much like the other "button" lamps in the headliner but were on the visor on either side of the mirror. After delivery, I was told mine would be swapped out once they finalized the design, but it never happened.