Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunblock on door materials -- how to remove?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
IMG_20180719_091646.jpg
Last weekend, I managed to smear some sunblock on the top-most material of the inner side of my Model S's door, what I would call the "window sill." See photo. (I was at an EV event held in the open sun.) My guess is that I leaned on the window sill while talking to someone who was sitting in my car, while I explained something abut the car.

My car has the "Premium Interior" with the "Extended Nappa Leather trim." I have never been entirely clear on which if any of the door panels is leather. It is hard to tell from the look or feel. The window sill looks and feels like the steering wheel material, which I believ to be leather in my car.

So, I cleaned the window sill (and some other surfaces I had touched) with Lexol leather cleaner, which I have always used for my seats. The cleaning helped, but did not entirely remove the sunblock -- I can still see a faint gray line where the edge of my arm was (but it is likely not visible in the photo). (Lexol is also supposed to be OK for vinyl surfaces.)

My questions are:
1. Does anyone know for sure which (if any) of the door panel surfaces are leather? There are three distinct panels -- the window sill, the gray armrest panel, and the black panel with the door switches.

2. Any suggestions for how to remove sunblock? The owner's manual says to use a non-detergent soap for all interior surfaces. Not sure what would qualify.

As i mentioned, I have used Lexol with good success on my leather seats in the past, but I am not sure what the materials of the door are. In any case, the sunblock may have penetrated into the material (as it doe son your skin), so I may have gotten out what I can.

Thanks for any insight.