Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunday Drive to the Beach Gone Wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to take a drive to the beach yesterday in my new Model Y LR using FSD. I’ve used FSD on and off for the last couple of months. It was a Sunday morning so traffic was light and the trip was rather easy from a route perspective. I was also able to use FSD for the whole 50+ mile trip because the wife was not with me. The wife and FSD do not get along, maybe some day in the future that will change.

Before I go on, I want to say I really like the improved FSD capabilities that are in 2022.20.19 beta. I had encountered so many FSD issues before this release.

Well my good intentions turned into a horrible experience. Only four miles from the house, heading east into the morning rising sun, i encountered my first ever FSD forced disengagement. I don’t know why. I then encountered several issues getting onto the highway, luckily traffic was light and my brake pedal worked to avoid going through a red turn arrow. Then off the highway and about 30 minutes later again heading east into the morning sun I got hit with my second FSD forced disengagement. Ouch. No FSD for the remainder of the trip. I finally figured out what my issue was, when driving into the sun on a nice bright morning I am not able to see the blue highlight of the screen flashing at me and for some reason I did not hear any beep alerting me of an issue. On both occasions the first indication of an issue that I noticed was a big steering wheel on the screen with two hands holding it and maybe the screen turning red, by then it was too late. My display is set to auto brightness.

I wonder if anyone else has had this experience and if there’s a way to configure a Tesla to provide more of an audio warning rather than a visual warning. I’m old school, even with FSD engaged I spend most of my time scanning the road ahead and behind. Transitions to frequently looking for a visual queue on the screen is challenging for me. I don’t have this issue with my other EV, as it has a heads up display which clearly indicates the need to put pressure on the steering wheel by displaying a symbol on the windshield.

I guess I’m relegated to using autopilot for the foreseeable future, hopefully the next FSD major release will reset my forced disengagement counter which is now set to 2. I welcome any suggestions and feedback, I’m headed back to the beach tomorrow.

I've had the forced disengagement happen in the past due to being on a boring straight away with my hands on the wheel, but no pressure needed. There is an audible alert that happens just before the disengagement, but do agree that this could be better - steering wheel vibrations would be ideal for me. Until then we need to make scanning the screen part of our habits.

Reactions: CapsEngineer
i understand your pain...... that's the frustrating part of the Model 3/Y with no display in front of the driver. you're doing the right thing by keeping your eyes on the road, and you're penalized for not looking down and to the R (obvious oversimplication)

the alternatives would be installing a 3rd party display that would notify you of the "touch/torque steering wheel"

or

i understand your pain...... that's the frustrating part of the Model 3/Y with no display in front of the driver. you're doing the right thing by keeping your eyes on the road, and you're penalized for not looking down and to the R (obvious oversimplication)

the alternatives would be installing a 3rd party display that would notify you of the "touch/torque steering wheel"

or

@uicandrew , you sure the hansshow 9" linux display alerts about "touch/torque steering wheel" ? I do not have FSD but I have the Hansshow display & it doesn't tell you about everything a Tesla s or X's console might. Never seen the description mention being able to alert for that issue. Just something to be aware of.

@uicandrew , you sure the hansshow 9" linux display alerts about "touch/torque steering wheel" ? I do not have FSD but I have the Hansshow display & it doesn't tell you about everything a Tesla s or X's console might. Never seen the description mention being able to alert for that issue. Just something to be aware of.
you're right. i don't think it has it. i've been looking at the dash displays for a while now, so their features run together in my head. sorry!