Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunday River Ski in Maine- 3 Tesla Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I successfully plugged in when I arrived just before midnight and camped in the car, up bright an early Friday morning for a $35 breakfast (!! don't get the fruit salad) and hit the lifts when they opened.

Thankfully all three Tesla chargers were open, as they malfunctioned one by one!
About 20 seconds after plugging into the first two, charging was stopped due to charging hardware issue.
The wall connectors' green light changed to blinking red, and they would not charge again.
I plugged into the third first reducing the current to 10 amps and slowly raising it to 15.
Then I researched and found that the single blink was a ground fault and the wall connectors would reset after 15 minutes. Sure enough they did.
Once another was green, I raised the current and sure enough just as I got to about 28A the third one tripped.
I moved back to the first and was charging at 24A (yeah, 12:30 at this point...who needs sleep when you can troubleshoot chargers), tried going up to 32 but it again tripped. But this time I noticed they had shutoffs mounted to the back and reset it.
So I had to keep it at 24A all night and charge very slowly especially with the heat running.

So just a warning, these may have a GFCI issue, or maybe it was because they were packed in the snow, but if you get an error and they turn red, switch them off and back on, reduce your current to 24A, then plug in again.

Shockingly I went in to get breakfast at 8:15 and returned at 8:45...in that time four more model 3s showed up!
Even funnier is when I left at 3:45...they were all gone!

Thanks for your help, it was a spectacular day of skiing!

IMG_0273.jpeg

I wrote that comment on PlugShare. There is no EVSE at the Grand Summit; just a 5-15/20 outlet (*) in the overflow parking lot, a 4 minute walk from the hotel. This winter it was blocked by equipment and a huge pile of snow; hence the need for an extension cord. By June you should be able to reach it with your mobile connector w/o an extension cord. If you are going to be there for 2+ days, it will charge your car just fine (I get about 100 miles per 24 hours on my S).

Otherwise, you might want to opt for the destination chargers at the South Ridge Lodge. The only downside is that there is limited (or no) shuttle bus service in the summer. It's a 20 minute walk back to the Grand Summit, if you walk along the Roadrunner ski trail past the White Cap Lodge and to the back entrance of the Grand Summit (if you follow the google maps walking directions it is a 30 minute walk ). I have done that walk a few times, which is why I opt for the outlet near the Grant Summit.

FWIW given that construction doesn't seem to have started yet (when we were there last month), I wouldn't count on the Bethel SuperCharger being open in June, no matter what it says in the thread.

(*) I could not get the TT-30 outlet to work
It looks like this plug is no longer listed on Plugshare. Is it still there? Also, can you provide a little more info about the location? I looked all over both spill over lots, but couldn't find it. I now understand why since it was hidden behind equipment.

This is for my Leaf, not my tesla. I'm aware of the other Tesla options.

thanks.

It looks like this plug is no longer listed on Plugshare. Is it still there?
That outlet was removed last winter when they added a pass-through road to connect the two overflow lots. I deleted the entry on PlugShare in July when I found the outlet gone.

There is now a J1772 at the South Ridge Lodge, in addition to the 3 Tesla Destination chargers. The J1772 works really well (the 3 Tesla chargers all seem to throw faults at times). PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

New this fall is a pair of EVSEs for guests at the Grand Summit Hotel. All I was told is they they are a "pair of EV chargers"; no idea if that's a J1772 (like the new one at South Ridge) or another Tesla Destination charger (like they put at the Jordan Hotel). Or maybe one of each. I plan to add them to PlugShare when I go up to the Grand Summit this coming weekend.

Last edited:
This is for my Leaf, not my tesla
FWIW, in the past I've often seen a LEAF using the South Ridge destination chargers using a JDapter Stub.

the 3 Tesla chargers all seem to throw faults at times
For instance, back in July I couldn't get any of the South Ridge destination chargers to work on our Model X. Since someone was already using the J1772, I ended up going down the road and left the car at the SuperCharger while we took a walk on the Bethel Pathway. (we had two cars, so I hoped a ride to the pathway)

There are now two level-2 J-plugs at the Grand Summit. They are just past the main hotel entrance, in the right corner of the unloading area next to the handicap spaces. Parking can be tight if they don't remove all the snow on the sides.
I think they ran a little slow since I didn't get a full charge in 8 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
There are now two level-2 J-plugs at the Grand Summit. They are just past the main hotel entrance, in the right corner of the unloading area next to the handicap spaces. Parking can be tight if they don't remove all the snow on the sides.
I think they ran a little slow since I didn't get a full charge in 8 hours.
They are for hotel guests only (as is the one at the Jordan). Having the EVSEs free was a point of contention in the Grand Summit Owner's group, so it was a battle just to get these installed for Hotel/restaurant guests.

They are 15A only - which will give a good charge overnight.

You are far better off stopping at the Bethel SuperCharger after your day of skiing.

Last edited: