Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunk-in hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I drove my new, red M3 home from the Tesla dealership yesterday, January 22, and noticed I saw the edge of the front fender without the adjacent hood where it's supposed to be. Coming out from the car, I saw that the hood was significantly sunk in. Body panels were nicely next to each other up towards the front window and at the front end of the hood, but along the sides, the hood is significantly lower than the fenders. around half a centimeter. My immediate reaction was - this can't be right. Is it? I have notified Tesla. See photos, one of them showing the gap "disappearing when seen from the side because the hood is sunk in.

View attachment 275396View attachment 275397View attachment 275398

Norge, your post was referenced in a LA Times article today about Tesla M3 issues.

• Informative
Reactions: Norge and Icer
Tesla should fix this. The rubber supports need to be adjusted first and then maybe can deform the hood a bit to match it up. Tesla should experiment on some of their cars first and get the technique down. Should not repaint since it won’t be as hard or durable as factory paint. Their stamping press needs adjustment. Would have expected they would have tweaked their stamping by this time to get it tuned up before ramp.

Reactions: RBowen
B06FFE0B-1E43-4186-B313-41C6300DEE82.jpeg 17C47412-0950-437E-8363-67AFBDFE38B3.jpeg D04B9B24-15B4-49F6-8505-D816F075E70E.jpeg 2A43A54D-4266-4C2E-B362-2063CF4EF953.jpeg

Same issue here. Taking in to service center in later this week.

• Informative
My wife hasn’t noticed ours yet... it’s flush at front lip, flush at windscreen/windshield side of wing/fender, a reasonable dip in centre/center (damn countries separated by a common language ;))

Can some please post before / after a “good” adjustment?

The one place you want the frunk hood very slightly lower than the mating surface is at the front. If the front edge of the hood is higher than or even level with the the front bumper it will be a stone chip magnet like on my previous cars.
If the hood is slightly sunken when I get my car I’m just going leave it beyond what I can adjust with bump stops. New hoods come primed NOT painted from the factory. As I posted back in post #27 here I do not want any non factory paint unless absolutely necessary say following a collision.

How do you adjust that?

Our's is slightly raised in the very front, but is lower along the sides. Hopefully, at least the front should be an easy adjustment.
Rotate it. It will rise as it’s loosened, raising the hood. So if it’s already tightened all the way down, it won’t drop the hood any further. Then, I would look at tightening the rubber bumper on underside of the hood.
49E70DC8-931E-434F-B55C-941ABB6EBB8B.jpeg

9997B33D-50E1-4E2B-BC77-DBBA20D396DB.jpeg

BFE3AF9C-09AB-46A7-B122-A07CFF23BC02.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3 and liuping
I have the same issue on my Model 3 VIN 53XX. Wanted to report that I had moderate success adjusting the hood latching mechanism and also the hood rubber bumpers out further. The hood is a little closer to the fenders. Not perfect but not much better. Agree there is still some work to do on the hood stamping but I love the car too much to sweat it. My service center is over 150 miles away and I'm a mechanic so it wasn't a big deal to try this myself.

Attachments

• IMG_4619 copy.jpg
    IMG_4619 copy.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 1,083
  • IMG_4620.jpg
    IMG_4620.jpg
    604.7 KB · Views: 1,084
I have a 54XX model 3 with the "sunken" hood. Also, it was very hard to close---to the point that I thought it would bend. I removed the front trunk striker ( the hook bolted to the trunk lid with two 8mm torx screws). I started to shim the striker away from the lid with fender washers. If you are not familiar, fender washers have a larger outside diameter relative to the bolt hole which in this case provides a larger surface area for the striker to clamp to when tightening the mounting bolts. When I reached about a1/8" stack of washers, the lid closing effort dropped dramatically. I also noticed most of the sunken appearance on the trunk was gone and now looked acceptable. With the shimmed striker, the trunk lid could be further adjusted with the two rubber bumpers until they just touched the body with enough pressure so the lid couldn't be pushed down in either front corner. If these are adjusted too high to try to get rid of some of the sunken appearance without raising the striker, the lid will be almost impossible to close. Going any higher then 1/8" (on my car) will eliminate the sunken appearance but will start to lift the leading edge of the hood above the bumper cover which is undesirable. I am now satisfied with the appearance and am going no farther with this. Hope it will work for others.

Also have sunken hood. 5300 VIN.One side deeper than the other. Norge did you take yours in to Rockville?

Update on my red M3 that started this thread about a sunk-in hood. Tesla promised a new hood in one week to ten days. We contacted them for updates after 8 and 12 days. I had to push them for basic delivery update, such as whether the hood had shipped. Turned out it hadn't, but they could get it in two days (probably since I asked).

This thread is causing me to develop a concern about quality control. Fit and finish issues shouldn't still be a concern 5-6xxx vehicles into a production run. While it is encouraging that the SC can take care of most issues, I live 2 hours from a SC, and the inconvenience is not negligible.

Fortunately, I am not due to receive my copy for at least a year. Hopefully, these problems will have been resolved .... I will be watching this thread closely.

This thread is causing me to develop a concern about quality control. Fit and finish issues shouldn't still be a concern 5-6xxx vehicles into a production run. While it is encouraging that the SC can take care of most issues, I live 2 hours from a SC, and the inconvenience is not negligible.

Fortunately, I am not due to receive my copy for at least a year. Hopefully, these problems will have been resolved .... I will be watching this thread closely.
Fit and finish is an issue but one I expected. What I didn't expect was the idiotic "smartphone key." I hope I don't get mugged someday while fumbling with my smartphone to connect with the car.

I also have the sunken hood but blew it off at least until I hear any surefire solution.

I took the cover off the latch area in the Frunk today. It pulls straight up off a couple off molded guides at the bottom. You can then see two bolts that take a 10mm socket to loosen. There is a slotted hole on each side of the latch to adjust it up or down. I removed the shims that I added to the striker (described in an earlier reply) and adjusted the latch higher and achieved the same fit that I wanted without the shims. It was interesting to see the bolts and washers had paint marks showing where the bolts were originally installed. Someone had adjusted the hood before delivery and lowered the latch. I adjusted the latch bolts to line up with the paint marks and (drumroll) the hood closed to where I had adjusted it with the shims. If the car had been left alone, I wouldn't have had a problem with the "sunken hood" that would have been obvious enough to warrant a repair.