Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunk-in hood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just turned up my plastic bumpers fully and it's still off. How do you remove the frunk bin? Take off the seal? Bolts underneath?
I thought I would try to turn the plastic bumper up but all it does is make the hood harder to close. The latch at front center is what controls the height of the front of the hood not the bumpers. Adjust the bumpers, after you adjust the height of the latch, just enough so that the hood is resting on the bumpers. Test this by putting pressure above the bumpers when hood is fully closed.

I took the front trunk liner out today and took pictures of the procedure. I just got to figure out how to resize them to put them all in a post. BTW--I took the time today to adjust the hood hinges and get the panel gaps correct. The hood just needed to come forward a bit and now there is a minimal gap (you could actually get it to zero if you wanted it that way. Other than the front bumper cover height (which needs to be shimmed) the rest of the parts will come into line with various adjustments and a couple of small shims. There is plenty of adjustment in the hood hinges and fenders. it just takes time to get it spot on. The gap police won't be after me again. I'll try to get some pictures posted tomorrow.

BTW--the "bumpers" on the hood are the last thing you adjust. After you have the latch height correct (as the hood springs up against the latch) then you adjust the bumpers to level out the hood left to right. If you have the bumpers too tight it's going to be an ordeal to close the latch. My hood is a little low on one side and that bumper is used to level it. The opposite bumper is about a half a turn from contacting the frunk liner making it easier to close.

I am going to try upload pictures. So if you look at the pictures in sequence, you can figure out how to remove the liner and install the shims. The first picture shows lifting off the service cover at the rear of the frunk. Start on either side near the rear and pull up. There are several pushpins holding it down. Place the cover aside.

Next remove the air intake on the passenger side of the car. It is held in with four pushpins. Just lift with your hand at each pin location and remove the duct. Be aware that the pins are snapped into the edges of the duct and can pop out of it. Hold the pin with your opposite hand while lifting the duct to prevent the push pin from possibly coming loose and ending up in the bellypan. Place the part aside.

Next remove the cover over the hood latch in the front of the frunk. Put you fingers in the hole that the hood striker goes into and with your other hand lifting at the gap at the bottom of the cover, lift it straight up to release the clips on the top of the cover. Note the position of the wire going to the switch in the cover where it passes between the body and the frunk liner. There is a little slit in the foam it should be in and it needs to be in the same location when you re-install the cover. Remove the connector from the switch and place the part aside.

Next remove the seven bolts that hold the frunk liner in place. They are all the same size 6 mm bolts. You will need a 10 mm socket to do this. There are two bolts in the front near the latch, two bolts at the bottom of the liner (under the carpet), two bolts under the shopping bag holders and most important a final bolt located by the firewall that holds the top of the washer fluid tank to the frunk liner.

Next, starting from the very back of the frunk liner (near the hood hinge) pull up on the rear edge to disengage a push pin. Then run your hand down the edges of the liner between the liner and the fender. There are four clips on each side that need to be disengaged from the fender. Lift the liner at each clip location and give it a little tug. The clips will release. The liner is now free to remove. Lift it by the sides tipping it up from the rear and Finally lift completely off the two guide pins near the latch. Place the liner aside.

Next remove the six bolts that attach the bumper cover to the body of the car if you want to install shims. The two outer bolts on each side also pass through a plastic part that helps index the guide pins for the frunk. The center two bolts attach directly to the body. Using a 3 to 4 mm nylon fender washer, shim the bumper cover at each location. For the outer bolts, you can shim between the body and the plastic adapter or just lay the shim washers on top between the bumper cover and the adapter. In my picture, the outer shim washers are between the plastic part and the body. Once in place, close the hood and see where lines up with the front bumper cover. It should be recessed by about 3 mm. Open the hood and loosen the two bolts that hold the hood latch in place and raise the latch by the same amount you want to raise the hood. There are vertical slots in the latch to do this. trial and error will get it right. You will find that most, if not all, of the sunken hood is gone. At this point the hood bumpers cannot be adjusted as the liner is not in place so this needs to be done after everything is back together.

Reinstall everything in reverse order from how it was removed then set the hood bumpers to just lightly touch the liner. I did some additional work to get rid of some of the panel gaps in the hood. I moved the hood slightly forward to get the gap between the bumper cover and the hood correct. The gaps around the hood on my car are less then 3 mm. The rest of the car is 3 mm or more gap, the largest gaps are on the sides of the car at the doors. If you take you time, you can get this right. I hope this helps. IMG_3470.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3473.JPG
    IMG_3473.JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 646
  • IMG_3471.JPG
    IMG_3471.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 640
  • IMG_3472.JPG
    IMG_3472.JPG
    366.5 KB · Views: 638
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_3481.JPG
    IMG_3481.JPG
    415.8 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    481.2 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
I am going to try upload pictures. So if you look at the pictures in sequence, you can figure out how to remove the liner and install the shims. The first picture shows lifting off the service cover at the rear of the frunk. Start on either side near the rear and pull up. There are several pushpins holding it down. Place the cover aside.

Next remove the air intake on the passenger side of the car. It is held in with four pushpins. Just lift with your hand at each pin location and remove the duct. Be aware that the pins are snapped into the edges of the duct and can pop out of it. Hold the pin with your opposite hand while lifting the duct to prevent the push pin from possibly coming loose and ending up in the bellypan. Place the part aside.

Next remove the cover over the hood latch in the front of the frunk. Put you fingers in the hole that the hood striker goes into and with your other hand lifting at the gap at the bottom of the cover, lift it straight up to release the clips on the top of the cover. Note the position of the wire going to the switch in the cover where it passes between the body and the frunk liner. There is a little slit in the foam it should be in and it needs to be in the same location when you re-install the cover. Remove the connector from the switch and place the part aside.

Next remove the seven bolts that hold the frunk liner in place. They are all the same size 6 mm bolts. You will need a 10 mm socket to do this. There are two bolts in the front near the latch, two bolts at the bottom of the liner (under the carpet), two bolts under the shopping bag holders and most important a final bolt located by the firewall that holds the top of the washer fluid tank to the frunk liner.

Next, starting from the very back of the frunk liner (near the hood hinge) pull up on the rear edge to disengage a push pin. Then run your hand down the edges of the liner between the liner and the fender. There are four clips on each side that need to be disengaged from the fender. Lift the liner at each clip location and give it a little tug. The clips will release. The liner is now free to remove. Lift it by the sides tipping it up from the rear and Finally lift completely off the two guide pins near the latch. Place the liner aside.

Next remove the six bolts that attach the bumper cover to the body of the car if you want to install shims. The two outer bolts on each side also pass through a plastic part that helps index the guide pins for the frunk. The center two bolts attach directly to the body. Using a 3 to 4 mm nylon fender washer, shim the bumper cover at each location. For the outer bolts, you can shim between the body and the plastic adapter or just lay the shim washers on top between the bumper cover and the adapter. In my picture, the outer shim washers are between the plastic part and the body. Once in place, close the hood and see where lines up with the front bumper cover. It should be recessed by about 3 mm. Open the hood and loosen the two bolts that hold the hood latch in place and raise the latch by the same amount you want to raise the hood. There are vertical slots in the latch to do this. trial and error will get it right. You will find that most, if not all, of the sunken hood is gone. At this point the hood bumpers cannot be adjusted as the liner is not in place so this needs to be done after everything is back together.

Reinstall everything in reverse order from how it was removed then set the hood bumpers to just lightly touch the liner. I did some additional work to get rid of some of the panel gaps in the hood. I moved the hood slightly forward to get the gap between the bumper cover and the hood correct. The gaps around the hood on my car are less then 3 mm. The rest of the car is 3 mm or more gap, the largest gaps are on the sides of the car at the doors. If you take you time, you can get this right. I hope this helps. View attachment 287362

Great post! Nice to see the first DIYs showing up!

thank you for the information post. I did all the above, even with the front trunk latch at the heighest setting, one side is still not level. At the highest level, the bumpers dont touch the frunk liner and the hood wobbles back and forth.

I went to homedepot and got nylon 1/4" fender washers. I installed 1 of them under each bolt between the mount and the urethane bumper cover, it wasnt even close to correct height (I'd need 2-3 minimum to get the height correct. I will have to disassemble it again to give it another shot. It's certainly better, but the front edge is up about 3-4mm over the bumper cover.

edit, looking at the picture, looks like i installed the fender washers in the wrong spot..

Your car must be worse than mine at the get go. I am not all the way to the top of the adjustment of the latch. However I am high enough to have the hood bumpers adjusted fully out. I added a little felt pad on the frunk liner to get the right height on the bumpers. The felt (although not ideal) adds a little give to the bumpers when you shut and latch the hood. I am surprised you didn't get closer with the fender washers. You can cheat a bit more by shimming under the front two fender bolts but at a certain point you will distort the bumper cover. How thick are your fender washers? As a reference mine are nylon about 3.5 mm thick or a little over an 1/8 of an inch.

My Tesla approved body shop called this afternoon with the following options to address my sunken hood.

1. They can try to bend the aluminum hood to fit better!

2. They can order a new hood and hope it fits better. (They speculated that the factory mold is wrong or worn out!) This alternative would require painting the new hood and much of the front end of the car!

I told them to do nothing. I’m hoping that Tesla is watching this forum and will adopt a version of siai47's shim-based fix.

When I tried to explain siai47's shim idea to the body shop foreman, he said that if he shimmed the front bumper cover, then it wouldn’t fit relative to the fenders.

It does fit. IMHO there is a problem (either with the engineering or manufacturing) of the bumper cover. As I said before, the cover is urethane so, like all bumper covers, it is somewhat flexible. Therefore the transition around the front corners of the hood comes out pretty close. The bumper cover is held firmly in place where it meets the fenders. The shape of the hood and it's opening is very complex so getting all of the parts to come together correctly is always a problem on surfaces like this. Bending the hood is a crazy idea--way to stiff. In addition hoods are engineered to "fold" on impact to prevent it from going through the passenger compartment. The fix I propose gets the fit to a point that if you weren't looking for an exact problem you would never notice a problem.

I'm going to admit something about my past life. At one time I worked for a big three auto manufacturer. I was a quality control engineer in an assembly plant. I've seen it all. This hood fit problem isn't very difficult to figure out if someone at Tesla would just put the parts on a checking fixture and verify they all meet the design intent. If they do and it still doesn't fit then they need to look at the drawings for a design error. Unlike Tesla, our sheet metal and other body components came from several different vendors. Some from within the corporation and some from outside. Over the years I could look at one of our vehicles in the field and pretty much determine where the parts came from and what shift it was built on.

I am not trying to be overly critical of the model 3 but if there is a problem that is bothering some of the customer base then it needs to be addressed. There is no reason to build a vehicle that is not 100% correct once the reason for the problem is determined. I hope Tesla does read these forums and pays attention to the postings. This issue can be fixed with relative ease when someone at Tesla takes a look at it. I wish all the best for Tesla because I am proud of their achievements and enjoy the vehicles they built that I now own and drive.

It does fit. IMHO there is a problem (either with the engineering or manufacturing) of the bumper cover. As I said before, the cover is urethane so, like all bumper covers, it is somewhat flexible. Therefore the transition around the front corners of the hood comes out pretty close. The bumper cover is held firmly in place where it meets the fenders. The shape of the hood and it's opening is very complex so getting all of the parts to come together correctly is always a problem on surfaces like this. Bending the hood is a crazy idea--way to stiff. In addition hoods are engineered to "fold" on impact to prevent it from going through the passenger compartment. The fix I propose gets the fit to a point that if you weren't looking for an exact problem you would never notice a problem.

I'm going to admit something about my past life. At one time I worked for a big three auto manufacturer. I was a quality control engineer in an assembly plant. I've seen it all. This hood fit problem isn't very difficult to figure out if someone at Tesla would just put the parts on a checking fixture and verify they all meet the design intent. If they do and it still doesn't fit then they need to look at the drawings for a design error. Unlike Tesla, our sheet metal and other body components came from several different vendors. Some from within the corporation and some from outside. Over the years I could look at one of our vehicles in the field and pretty much determine where the parts came from and what shift it was built on.

I am not trying to be overly critical of the model 3 but if there is a problem that is bothering some of the customer base then it needs to be addressed. There is no reason to build a vehicle that is not 100% correct once the reason for the problem is determined. I hope Tesla does read these forums and pays attention to the postings. This issue can be fixed with relative ease when someone at Tesla takes a look at it. I wish all the best for Tesla because I am proud of their achievements and enjoy the vehicles they built that I now own and drive.
Love the post and additional context. Thank you.

Tesla reads a bunch of the forum, though a personal email can definitely help. Some people seem to have some really good contacts (@bonnie I’m looking at you ;))... original fix steps email: Sunk-in hood

This does seem imminently fixable, and with the technique applied at quality control, if not on the line, this would appear to be a good thing to do for Tesla.

Reactions: RBowen and bonnie
Sia, I redid it and it's much better, I could not find appropriate single washers 1/8 inch thick x 1/4 inch hole and 1 inch diameter. I had to stack 2 washers together and it's acceptable now. I found washers with 0.062 thickness with two it's about 3mm. 3 would be better but hard to stack 3. I still have some slight sink on both edges with the front edge even currently.

Great that it is working out for you. In my case, as I mentioned somewhere back in this tread, the gap between the front edge of the hood and the bumper cover was too wide after shimming it. Moving the hood forward to close up the gap also will give you a bit better fit on the sides of the hood. Take it easy with the adjustments and put a little tape on each fender edge to protect the paint as you work on it. Trial and error---but worth it.

Great that it is working out for you. In my case, as I mentioned somewhere back in this tread, the gap between the front edge of the hood and the bumper cover was too wide after shimming it. Moving the hood forward to close up the gap also will give you a bit better fit on the sides of the hood. Take it easy with the adjustments and put a little tape on each fender edge to protect the paint as you work on it. Trial and error---but worth it.
You've got skills, @siai47. ;)

Sia, I redid it and it's much better, I could not find appropriate single washers 1/8 inch thick x 1/4 inch hole and 1 inch diameter. I had to stack 2 washers together and it's acceptable now. I found washers with 0.062 thickness with two it's about 3mm. 3 would be better but hard to stack 3. I still have some slight sink on both edges with the front edge even currently.
AKA 1/16th.

I picked up my Model 3 two days ago and noticed the same "sunken hood." Upon further inspection I noticed that Tesla didn't even install the two rubber bumbers/stops underneath the hood to support it! I've got a service center appointment to fix this, and three other issues that came with the car.

I am going to try upload pictures. So if you look at the pictures in sequence, you can figure out how to remove the liner and install the shims.
Thank you @siai47 for dumbing it down for us numbskulls. Let me see if I have the general sequence correct:
  1. Adjust the frunk lid hinges to eliminate the lid depression at the midpoint of the funk lid relative to the adjacent fender. Adjust frunk lid, fore or aft with hinges, to adjust for consistent fender gap around frunk lid relative to the fenders.
  2. Adjust front bumper fascia with shims for desired height relative to leading edge of frunk lid.
  3. Adjust frunk lid latch upwards with shims to eliminate depression of frunk lid relative to bumper fascia
  4. Adjust frunk lid bumper stops for easy close
As a QC engineer, I have some additional questions.
- Some owners have reported a frunk lid depression relative to the adjacent fender, but only on the driver's side (passenger side is fine). Doesn't that indicate a stamping issue? How does one adjust one side of frunk lid and not the other?
- What is the desirable panel gap between the frunk lid and surrounding panels? What is the desired panel gap between two fixed panels, for example the bumper fascia to the front fender. Should they fit tight against each other or should there be a bit of gap to prevent chafe and squeaks?
- Is there any way you could suggest to "beef up" the leading edge of the frunk lid (perhaps with an aluminum stiffener underneath) to be less prone to denting when closing?

Thanks amigo!

• Informative
Reactions: RunMadM3 and RBowen
First question---As the hood is only held in the center by the latch the hood could be normal on one side and low on the other. The two rubber bumpers adjust to determine if the hood is level or not. Once you get the latch height set, then you can "tip" the hood to get it the same height on either side by using the adjusters. Be aware, you might run out of travel on the adjusters and have to add an adhesive "pad" on the frunk liner for the bumper to rest on. (and you cannot do this adjustment with the liner out)

Panel gap should be whatever it takes to be equal on the sides and the front. As you move the hood forward (because of it's shape, the side gaps will close up with the front gap. On my car the gaps are about 2 mm. You don't want them much if any tighter then that. For example the door gaps are closer to 4 mm on my car. YMMV.

If you get the bumpers set correctly, the hood will close with minimum effort---no need to beef up anything.

BTW--Shim the bumper cover first, then adjust the hood latch to bring the front of the hood even with it. Finally set the bumpers on the hood. At this time you will most likely have too much gap between the bumper cover and the hood. This is the time to move the hood forward to close the gap. Trial and error is the whole problem with this project. It takes time to get it right but it will work and the fit will be almost perfect.

• Informative
Reactions: 03DSG and RBowen