TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sunpass Mini and Gate Openers on Model X

Discussion in 'Florida' started by MasterT, Jan 11, 2017.

1. MasterT

MasterT Member

In my previous cars and SUVs owner manuals usually described in detail where to position transmitters and other equipment (radar detectors, etc.) needed communication through a shielded windshield. Ususally there were 2 or 3 unshielded area (around the rearview mirror, and lower corners of the windshield):

Capture.JPG
    Nothing in owner's manual of the Model X.

Does anyone knows if Model X has unshielded areas on the windshield? I need to find a place for 2 items - Sunpass Mini and Gated community access transponder.

Has anyone tried mounting these transmitting devices into the falcon doors?

2. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

I can't speak for the mini, but I have the sunpass portable at the top center of the windshield with the suction cups straddling the camera wire conduit, which works fine. I'd imagine a mini would work up there too.

• Informative x 1
  3. jrichey

jrichey Member

I have the mini right under the rear view mirror on my X, had zero issues with it working.

• Informative x 1
  4. DonD

DonD Member

#4 DonD, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Note that page 166 of the Model X Owner's Manual provides the following instructions:
    RFID_location.png
    I placed my Sunpass Mini immediately to the right (passenger side, left as viewed from the front of the vehicle as in the above picture) of the rearview mirror; part of the blue shaded area depicted. It works fine on the Turnpike and 408.

I should add, this location corresponds to installation instructions provided by SunPass, as shown below:
    SunPass Installation.png

• Informative x 1