TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sunpass Mini and Gate Openers on Model X

Discussion in 'Florida' started by MasterT, Jan 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MasterT

MasterT Member

In my previous cars and SUVs owner manuals usually described in detail where to position transmitters and other equipment (radar detectors, etc.) needed communication through a shielded windshield. Ususally there were 2 or 3 unshielded area (around the rearview mirror, and lower corners of the windshield):

Capture.JPG
    Nothing in owner's manual of the Model X.

Does anyone knows if Model X has unshielded areas on the windshield? I need to find a place for 2 items - Sunpass Mini and Gated community access transponder.

Has anyone tried mounting these transmitting devices into the falcon doors?

2. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

I can't speak for the mini, but I have the sunpass portable at the top center of the windshield with the suction cups straddling the camera wire conduit, which works fine. I'd imagine a mini would work up there too.

• Informative x 1
  3. jrichey

jrichey Member

I have the mini right under the rear view mirror on my X, had zero issues with it working.

• Informative x 1
  4. DonD

DonD Member

#4 DonD, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Note that page 166 of the Model X Owner's Manual provides the following instructions:
    RFID_location.png
    I placed my Sunpass Mini immediately to the right (passenger side, left as viewed from the front of the vehicle as in the above picture) of the rearview mirror; part of the blue shaded area depicted. It works fine on the Turnpike and 408.

I should add, this location corresponds to installation instructions provided by SunPass, as shown below:
    SunPass Installation.png

• Informative x 1