Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunpass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're comfortable popping off the nosecone then it's totally a DIY. Tons of threads on here on how to do that. But if you're near a service center they can do it in just a few minutes. They installed mine when I picked up my car.

I believe it's just zip tied to the steel beam behind the nose cone. It's nothing high tech. Mine works perfect there.

Yes, it's great with the hidden mount behind the nosecone. I think it's so much better than an (ugly) item on the top of the windshield. Only thing I noticed, is that when at the airport parking SunPass lane, make *sure* to stop firmly right as the rear wheels are on the speed bump. If you pull too far forward, the transponder will not read. I assume it's designed under the assumption it's at the top of the windshield. Once you know, it works fine. Just don't pull too far forward before the transponder is read.

Yes, it's great with the hidden mount behind the nosecone. I think it's so much better than an (ugly) item on the top of the windshield. Only thing I noticed, is that when at the airport parking SunPass lane, make *sure* to stop firmly right as the rear wheels are on the speed bump. If you pull too far forward, the transponder will not read. I assume it's designed under the assumption it's at the top of the windshield. Once you know, it works fine. Just don't pull too far forward before the transponder is read.
At least at MIA Sunpass is no longer accepted. The last time I parked there a few weeks ago the Sunpass signs were gone and one had to exit in the normal lanes.:mad:

No, not the sticker transponder nor the small box transponder goes behind nosecone. Get the "license plate mounted" transponder and mount that behind the nose cone. Mine was installed by Tesla service center at new car pickup with two screws. If you are comfortable popping off the nosecone, its easy.

Already had the nosecone removed. :)

After catching up on all the threads, I've decided simply to go transponderless. I also checked with Sunpass and they confirmed that an ITOL transaction is billed at exactly the same rate as a TTOL. As long as I have a transponder assigned to my car, I'll get billed the same regardless of identification method. My thanks to them for being proactive that way, as it makes my life a whole lot easier.

• Informative
Reactions: GTIceman