Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

sunpower monitoring causing issues?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
i have an existing 8kw sunpower system, which is split into two sets of panels (20/250w that came with the house, and 12/250w that we had installed separately a few years after we moved in). we just added two powerwalls last weekend, they've been running for a week now without any major issues (at least none that i've seen).

however, sunpower's monitoring system has been absolute trash from the get go...probably due to having two separate systems is my guess. the monitoring for the original panels worked fine (both generation and consumption) until the second set of panels was installed. since that second set was installed, the first monitoring device has *never* worked. the second monitoring device works for generation, but not consumption. i have been back and forth with sunpower for literally almost a year trying to get them to fix it, but they can't be bothered to actually put any effort into figuring out what's going on...they just keep telling me my system is reporting correctly (spoiler: it's not).

anyway, since the tesla app now monitors everything, i figured there's no reason for me not to just turn off the sunpower monitoring completely. i flipped the two separate breakers for the two monitoring systems...and noticed something interesting: the tesla app now reports my solar production has jumped. it has been perfectly sunny all week, and i've never gotten above 6.7kw production at any one time...today, i hit 7.3kw once the monitoring breakers were turned off. even more confusing because there have been passing clouds today, not full sun all day like the past four days.

so, that leads me to two different questions:

1) does this make sense? is it possible the monitoring system could have been interfering with something on the tesla monitoring side or somehow limiting my production by that much?

2) is there any reason for me not to keep the sunpower monitoring turned off and just use the tesla app to monitor everything, since it doesn't work anyway?

• Informative
Reactions: no2gates
I don’t have answers for your interference question, but regarding the sunpower monitoring; I too have two sets of sunpower panels - total size is 9.5kW, one has a single sunny boy inverter, the other has Micro-inverters. I’ve downloaded the production data every month for the past 12 years to an excel spread sheet. The monthly data has been pretty solid and once the second set of panels were installed, production jumped a reasonable amount given the new capacity. My issue with them is now if I generate a report going back months or years, the sunpower reports only reflect the production of one set of panels. I’ve tried to get support and included my excel data that shows the production captured at the time doesn’t match what their system is now reporting. But I’ve gotten no resolution.

Since the PowerWalls were installed, I’ve noticed the Tesla app reports 2kW - 4kW more production each day than the sunpower app. I don’t know what accounts for that difference, but I’ve decided to just use the Tesla data moving forward and stop using Sunpowers monitoring data.

I don’t have answers for your interference question, but regarding the sunpower monitoring; I too have two sets of sunpower panels - total size is 9.5kW, one has a single sunny boy inverter, the other has Micro-inverters. I’ve downloaded the production data every month for the past 12 years to an excel spread sheet. The monthly data has been pretty solid and once the second set of panels were installed, production jumped a reasonable amount given the new capacity. My issue with them is now if I generate a report going back months or years, the sunpower reports only reflect the production of one set of panels. I’ve tried to get support and included my excel data that shows the production captured at the time doesn’t match what their system is now reporting. But I’ve gotten no resolution.

Since the PowerWalls were installed, I’ve noticed the Tesla app reports 2kW - 4kW more production each day than the sunpower app. I don’t know what accounts for that difference, but I’ve decided to just use the Tesla data moving forward and stop using Sunpowers monitoring data.

that sounds like almost exactly what i've seen. their entire monitoring system is a joke, considering i've had the monitoring boxes both turned off at the breaker for the past 24+ hours and the sunpower app still says both of my systems are online.