Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SunPower monitoring with Powerwall 2

Mbmike

Oct 6, 2019
Myrtle Beach
I have read that the SunPower monitoring does not work well with the installation of a Powerwall 2 since it can not account for the power that comes/goes to the Powerwall, therefore wrecking havoc on the displaying of data (so I have been told from a friend with a similar system who just had powerwalls installed). I have my powerwall installation coming up this week and was wondering where is the best place to have the sunpower consumption CTs? Just leave them where they are at the feed to my main panel, move them to just the feed from the solar array, or somewhere else? I have microinverters for my panels if that makes a difference on the recommendation. Thank you ahead of time!

• Disagree
Reactions: Oceanwolf

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
The Powerwall system calculates the consumption from the grid, solar, and Powerwall power flows. I don't think there's any way to do it by pure measurement. Personally, I am happy with the solar system just doing its own production monitoring while the Powerwall system gives me the system overview.

Alto Nimbus

Aug 31, 2019
South FL
I have read that the SunPower monitoring does not work well with the installation of a Powerwall 2 since it can not account for the power that comes/goes to the Powerwall, therefore wrecking havoc on the displaying of data (so I have been told from a friend with a similar system who just had powerwalls installed). I have my powerwall installation coming up this week and was wondering where is the best place to have the sunpower consumption CTs? Just leave them where they are at the feed to my main panel, move them to just the feed from the solar array, or somewhere else? I have microinverters for my panels if that makes a difference on the recommendation. Thank you ahead of time!

I don’t have a SunPower system, so my experience may be different then yours.
I’m replying because this was a pain point for me that took some time before I was able to resolve it.
I have an Enphase system with Envoy monitoring. When Tesla installed my Powerwalls my consumption CTs for Envoy were placed on the Mains entering the Tesla Gateway. This screwed up the consumption monitoring and no amount of wire flipping would make it right. It turns out that my PVs had been feeding into my system on the utility side of the CTs. After the Tesla Gateway was installed, the PVs fed into the system on the load side of the CTs. Enphase had a software switch for either set up, that I was locked out of changing. Despite much consultation with them and describing the symptoms I was experiencing no one thought of changing this setting. Once changed, all systems functioned as designed.

Moral of the story, don’t over look the installation software settings when configuring CT location. They need to coincide.

NuShrike

Nov 13, 2017
SoCal
My SunPower installer refused to put in consumption CTs in my install, so I'm surprised you have it. I also have a micro-inverter system.

I suggest putting your SunPower consumption CTs in the main-panel just after the main breaker into the panel (from the meter), or on the lines that feed the meter. It should be in the same place your PowerWall consumption CTs are placed.

Realistically with the PW system, SunPower consumption monitoring is pointless. It's the same problem I have with my Sense, and Neurio, monitoring.

Your best consumption monitoring will be with a RainForest Eagle-200, if it's compatible with your utility and meter, because it reads the meter directly.

Reactions: Ampster

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC