Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunpower Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last year I priced out solar from Tesla and Sunpower and then never got around to completing it. I kind of regret it because I was willing to pay the additional money to Sunpower for fear of Tesla doing a bad job and then giving me poor customer service. Fast forward a year and I really want to get solar for backup purposes at a minimum. I can get a generator but prefer the batter integrated solar approach because I like the tech and though of producing some clean electricity.

Here is my conundrum. The price of the system from Sunpower went up nearly 50% to 92,000 dollar including 26.2 kWh of Sunpower battery storage and an array that is 14.8 KW. Last year with 3 Tesla power walls and and 13.2 Kw array the cost was 64,450. I can get 16.32Kw and 3 Power Walls from Tesla now for 49,800. Both prices are without incentives so the tax credit will narrow the gap a bit but energy credits will be similar. As stated earlier I am willing to pay more for Sunpower and a local contractor but it's now nearly double. Can do an entire solar energy roof for the same money but the roof is only 18 months old (new house).

Am I going to regret going with Tesla? I feel like I am spinning the roulette wheel and don't want to gamble with something so permanent and expensive (like my house). However, the solar energy beckons to me. Ugh, I gotta figure this out.

What panels are currently being sold by Tesla?

One last thing, the salesperson from Sunpower said I can still receive the 26% tax credit vs 22% tax credit because of stimulus money? Is that the correct?

My only regret was not getting more quotes. I simply went with Tesla because everything I could find online, Tesla was considerably cheaper. I unfortunately went on that information, and only got a single Tesla quote. If I were to do it all over again, I would have gotten several quotes, ranging from small, medium and large installers. Then I would have weighed the cost vs headache factor of going with Tesla. For double the price, I would go cheaper, as I believe in most circumstances, after the sale service will be unneeded. I have an older Sunrun system which has needed warranty twice in 10 years, so to me, its more about price, but willing to pay slightly more for better long term support. My Tesla experience has not been good, but if they were really that much cheaper, I can deal with making a few extra calls, and a little longer process. From the people I spoke with locally, who did get other quotes, Tesla was about 30% cheaper then their other quotes, so if this is true, it was well worth the headache.

Reactions: Zer0t
One last thing, the salesperson from Sunpower said I can still receive the 26% tax credit vs 22% tax credit because of stimulus money? Is that the correct?
Yes, the latest pandemic relief bill pushed back the 26% -> 22% transition from January 1, 2021 to January 1, 2023.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: Zer0t
My only regret was not getting more quotes. I simply went with Tesla because everything I could find online, Tesla was considerably cheaper. I unfortunately went on that information, and only got a single Tesla quote. If I were to do it all over again, I would have gotten several quotes, ranging from small, medium and large installers. Then I would have weighed the cost vs headache factor of going with Tesla. For double the price, I would go cheaper, as I believe in most circumstances, after the sale service will be unneeded. I have an older Sunrun system which has needed warranty twice in 10 years, so to me, its more about price, but willing to pay slightly more for better long term support. My Tesla experience has not been good, but if they were really that much cheaper, I can deal with making a few extra calls, and a little longer process. From the people I spoke with locally, who did get other quotes, Tesla was about 30% cheaper then their other quotes, so if this is true, it was well worth the headache.
I don't mind chasing them around a bit but I want them screwing up my house. :)

I don't mind chasing them around a bit but I want them screwing up my house. :)
I am happy with the install, a few tiles were damaged but they replaced them. The replacement tiles do not match too well, but at least on my roof, no one can see them unless you fly over. I am sure if I made a big deal about the tiles they would hide them better or find better replacements. I also noticed they fixed some slipped tiles that had nothing to do with their install. So all in all, I am very happy with the install. I would also note, that the installers were very professional, very informative and helpful. They went over everything they were gonna do, asked me where I wanted equipment, explained any potential issues with placement etc. They were quick and efficient, and arrived on time etc.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and Zer0t
I am happy with the install, a few tiles were damaged but they replaced them. The replacement tiles do not match too well, but at least on my roof, no one can see them unless you fly over. I am sure if I made a big deal about the tiles they would hide them better or find better replacements. I also noticed they fixed some slipped tiles that had nothing to do with their install. So all in all, I am very happy with the install. I would also note, that the installers were very professional, very informative and helpful. They went over everything they were gonna do, asked me where I wanted equipment, explained any potential issues with placement etc. They were quick and efficient, and arrived on time etc.
In the case of damaged shingles I have a few bundles left over from the construction a few years ago. I can't see paying nearly 2x the cost even though I really like Sunpower.

Reactions: brian.c
Its tough in this life to determine cause and effect. What we have on this site is a mix of incredible knowledge and experience and anecdotes.

In my case my nextdoor neighbor went with Sunpower and we had the same timelines. He may well have had an easier time getting ahold of his "rep" but that was all for $25k more.

On the other hand, the anecdotes about Tesla not applying for PTO in a timely way are not good anecdotes.

I have worked with many contractors over the years on a variety of houses, and my Tesla install was no worse or better than any other, and the actual work was really good.

• Informative
Reactions: Zer0t and BGbreeder
OP, I have said this before on a few different threads but...

If your physical layout on your home is something that tesla supports, either fairly simple or not something you have specific needs about, Tesla tends to do very well.

There are VERY few reports here that we have read about, about physical hardware issues with tesla installs. The tesla inverter product is new, so there may be some teething pains with that specific product.

In general, the physical interactions with tesla in person tend to be good to great. In general, the COMMUNICATION part of dealing with tesla tends to be "average to poor".

They dont tend to pick up the phone when you call, pre installation (although after installation they have a call center where you can get someone on the phone). They dont tend to give much info during the waiting periods when you are scheduling, etc. They can be slow on the paperwork end.

The product itself works fine (panels) and the powerwall is something people who have them tend to be very happy with, once they have it.

If you want something specific (specific product, microinverters, specific roof mounting methods, etc) tesla tends to not do very well on that. If you want to have a lot of input during the process, tesla tends to not do well at all with that.

If you are not a patient person, tesla tends to not do well with that. Tesla doesnt tend to screw up your home, however. The physical install technicians / workers, tend to do a great job.

All of the above is generalities. I am aware there are some that have had issues with physical install, just like any other construction work. In general, that tends to be pretty rare from what I have seen reported here, but its certainly possible, just like any other construction project.

There are lots and lots of installs that Tesla did right and you don't hear about. 8 weeks from quote to install for me. 2 weeks for PTO after that.
May have been even faster but I slowed it down by submitting a price matching quote to Tesla (yes, I found a local guy willing to undercut Tesla but no way I'm going with some small guy with a solar project that includes 20 years of labor warranty).
In this case, why would you pay close to double for an inferior battery product?

OK, the rep did as promised and got back to me yesterday that I can convert to the financing at 0.9%. He updated my profile and filled out the online simple credit app (similar to vehicle purchase) and few minutes later was approved. My price went down 762.68 buck since last year and that was reflected.

I am going to reach out to my advisor to see who is writing the loan. It isn't clear on the documents and actually looks like Tesla.

I just posted this an another thread regards Tesla panels...

Based on verifiable experience - total of 6 installs in NorCal (all close friends or colleagues) who got just Tesla solar, solar+Powerwalls or Powerwalls w/o solar....
No dumpster fires. Zero. Several delays due to utility issues (either scheduling or lack thereof) - this appears to have been a common theme across 3 of the installs. Zero equipment failures (oldest install is 3 years). Problems with initial install (missing or defective parts requiring replacement) for 3 of the installs - all fully resolved in a timely basis.
On the other hand - I have SunPower solar with my Powerwalls - SunPower has been a dumpster fire for me.
You only hear the horror stories, people are simply not inclined to post good news.
YMMV...

Details on my SunPower - system in place over 10 years with a combination of central inverters and microinverters. Have had a failed central inverter that SunPower simply chose not to honor the warranty. Replaced at my own cost. One failed panel that took over a year to get replaced and it was a clown carnival of stupidity on their part for the actual replacement - during which they shattered the glass on an adjacent panel and tried to say it was broken on arrival (I had cleaned the panels that morning, had pictures with time stamps and they saw me on the roof at arrival to boot) - criminal negligence is about the best I can assess.

Details on my SunPower - system in place over 10 years with a combination of central inverters and microinverters. Have had a failed central inverter that SunPower simply chose not to honor the warranty. Replaced at my own cost. One failed panel that took over a year to get replaced and it was a clown carnival of stupidity on their part for the actual replacement - during which they shattered the glass on an adjacent panel and tried to say it was broken on arrival (I had cleaned the panels that morning, had pictures with time stamps and they saw me on the roof at arrival to boot) - criminal negligence is about the best I can assess.
You should complain to BBB about the warranty. Have seen this work on on line BBB complaints. Who is supposed to take care of warranty parts and labor?

“There is a strong consumer overlap between EV drivers and solar users in the U.S.,” he said. Teaming up SunPower “will help us accelerate the adoption of EVs by making it cheaper, easier and more sustainable for like- minded consumers to charge an EV at home.”