Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof lubricant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an existing thread for this topic...

...but it ended up in the "Interior & Exterior" sub-category with no exposure

I have a can of white lithium grease, with a straw to direct the spray of the grease.

Stupid question, but I am unable to reach both sides of the entire sunroof track, on both sides of the car (4 tracks total), specially in the back portion of the track, near the rear of the car.

How do I lube the entire track, for all four tracks? My sunroof is sputtering.

Brian

There is a procedure for this on line.

Part of the task is opening roof 30% and cleaning the rest.

I did some cleaning, and the vibrations are less now.

Bought a small tube of the klubesynth, have not used it yet.

See below:
Screenshot_20210402-153029.png

• Informative
Reactions: Reyno626
There is a procedure for this on line.

Part of the task is opening roof 30% and cleaning the rest.

I did some cleaning, and the vibrations are less now.

Bought a small tube of the klubesynth, have not used it yet.

See below:View attachment 650389
Do you think the roof needs calibration because the sliding roof is re-installed or is calibration not necessary if your roof isn't sputtering?

Really hate the fact that Toolbox isn't available for us to use it for this kinda stuff while on the other hand I can buy OEM BMW diagnose/coding software and cable (my other car) for 15 dollar on eBay...

Wow your braver than I am to remove your sunroof.

Lol, I didn't do it!

It was not cheap, but it is now functional. Tesla's quote was $2,500 to replace everything to the newer style, and I paid a bit more than 1/3rd of that to replace the left and right drive cables, the right link assembly, and the left motor. They're in the mindset of remove and replace; whereas, I found a shop in the Bay Area that's more of diagnose and repair/replace.

Parts were $60 per cable, $35 for the link assembly, and $190 for the left motor. The remaining $$$ was five hours of labor.

I know this is old but. I wanted to post my DIY here for anyone else to enjoy.

I have been getting sunroof squeaking and shuttering when closing. I have had the car into Service multiple times and they lubed it up and still the issue continue. So after working with ReelDeal on my replacement Instrument Cluster, they provided me some of their sunroof lube to try out. I am very happy with this, as I believe that the Tesla Service techs probably weren't cleaning the channels first and then lubricate. So if you have the sunroof squeak and or shuttering, please clean out the old lube and dirt and re-lubricate the channels. NOTE: I did not remove the sunroof. No need to do that.

Tesla Model S Preventative Maintenance — ReelDeal EV - EV Car Parts and Accessories
DIY from ReelDeal. Doc is from Tesla Service.
1jqGEbW.jpg

First, open the sunroof all the way.
0oVewyl.jpg

Then take a cloth or paper towel with a flat head screw driver and CAREFULLY clean out the channels. This will take sometime to do right.
muOvjIl.jpg

iZmps1u.jpg

Next, use some compressed air (max 25 PSI) to blow out any dirt you couldn't reach or get to. Also check the water drain holes in the front corners of the channels.
RX11xdg.jpg

p74favr.jpg

Next get the new lube and some kind of an application device. I used a sponge brush. You can even use a Q-Tip.
9klNHtD.jpg

NgmzWgj.jpg

wFQioEk.jpg

This is what it looks like when I finished lubricating the channels. I only used about half of the tube of lube. No need to over lube.
dPUh57z.jpg

Definitely. Even thought I technically only cleaned half of the roof channels this definitely made a difference as it doesn't shutter as much and moves a lot smoother.
If you remove the sunroof @ 30% you can clean/lubricate almost the whole channels. Not super easy but when you take some time and effort it's doable

forget Klyubersynth, which unfortunately Tesla uses in excessive amounts at the service intervals.
These excessive amounts actually create resistance instead of helping the drive mechanism.
Use Graphite powder on rails, hinhes AND rubber seals and all problems are gone. It´s that simple.

forget Klyubersynth, which unfortunately Tesla uses in excessive amounts at the service intervals.
These excessive amounts actually create resistance instead of helping the drive mechanism.
Use Graphite powder on rails, hinhes AND rubber seals and all problems are gone. It´s that simple.

Agree about the excessive amounts causing problems. Any grease will also attract dirt.

Lol, I didn't do it!

It was not cheap, but it is now functional. Tesla's quote was $2,500 to replace everything to the newer style, and I paid a bit more than 1/3rd of that to replace the left and right drive cables, the right link assembly, and the left motor. They're in the mindset of remove and replace; whereas, I found a shop in the Bay Area that's more of diagnose and repair/replace.

Parts were $60 per cable, $35 for the link assembly, and $190 for the left motor. The remaining $$$ was five hours of labor.
looks like you might already have the gen2 roof, yes? would you mind sharing the name of the shop who did the work. I have the same problem