Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof lubricant

No CO2

Jun 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
There is an existing thread for this topic...

Sunroof lubricant?

I recently took the MS in because the sunroof was "stuttering" a bit towards the end of travel while opening. I asked the tech what they used to lubricate the tracks so I could DIY in the future. He showed me a container of Klubersynth RA 44-702. I tried searching on this hoping to find it for...
teslamotorsclub.com
teslamotorsclub.com

...but it ended up in the "Interior & Exterior" sub-category with no exposure

I have a can of white lithium grease, with a straw to direct the spray of the grease.

Stupid question, but I am unable to reach both sides of the entire sunroof track, on both sides of the car (4 tracks total), specially in the back portion of the track, near the rear of the car.

How do I lube the entire track, for all four tracks? My sunroof is sputtering.

Brian

May 13, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Funny enough I am taking my car in next week for the sunroof sputtering as well as a small laundry list of other things. My 2016 90D has always done it since I bought it used about 2 years ago and never really had time for them to check it out but figured I might add it while they are looking at other things.

If I were you, I don't think I would use white lithium grease on it, maybe try Dupont Krytox lube. I don't have 1st hand experience using either on a sunroof track but I wouldnt risk a short term fix and then a long cleanup of removing it and putting the correct lubricant in there. Seems like a lot of work if you use the wrong stuff.

I've never tried to lube it myself but here are some other threads about it:

cousin_IT

Oct 27, 2020
Netherlands
Stupid question, but I am unable to reach both sides of the entire sunroof track, on both sides of the car (4 tracks total), specially in the back portion of the track, near the rear of the car.

How do I lube the entire track, for all four tracks? My sunroof is sputtering.
According to the service manual you’ll have to take off the sunroof in order to lubricate it and replace the screws that hold it in place. I paid my SC to do it but I doubt if they really took it off.

No CO2

Jun 25, 2020
San Diego, CA
Thank you for your replies, however my question was not about which lube to use, but after you have whatever lube, how did you apply it to all four rails, for the entire length of the rail? Did you remove the sunroof (doubtful)?

My SC quoted $117, and mobile service too at my place, so 1/2 hour job (at $200 per hour labor)

May 13, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Thank you for your replies, however my question was not about which lube to use, but after you have whatever lube, how did you apply it to all four rails, for the entire length of the rail? Did you remove the sunroof (doubtful)?

My SC quoted $117, and mobile service too at my place, so 1/2 hour job (at $200 per hour labor)

It need to be removed according to this Link

Removal.jpg

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC