Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof lubricant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is an existing thread for this topic...

Sunroof lubricant?

I recently took the MS in because the sunroof was "stuttering" a bit towards the end of travel while opening. I asked the tech what they used to lubricate the tracks so I could DIY in the future. He showed me a container of Klubersynth RA 44-702. I tried searching on this hoping to find it for...
teslamotorsclub.com
teslamotorsclub.com

...but it ended up in the "Interior & Exterior" sub-category with no exposure

I have a can of white lithium grease, with a straw to direct the spray of the grease.

Stupid question, but I am unable to reach both sides of the entire sunroof track, on both sides of the car (4 tracks total), specially in the back portion of the track, near the rear of the car.

How do I lube the entire track, for all four tracks? My sunroof is sputtering.

Brian

Funny enough I am taking my car in next week for the sunroof sputtering as well as a small laundry list of other things. My 2016 90D has always done it since I bought it used about 2 years ago and never really had time for them to check it out but figured I might add it while they are looking at other things.

If I were you, I don't think I would use white lithium grease on it, maybe try Dupont Krytox lube. I don't have 1st hand experience using either on a sunroof track but I wouldnt risk a short term fix and then a long cleanup of removing it and putting the correct lubricant in there. Seems like a lot of work if you use the wrong stuff.

I've never tried to lube it myself but here are some other threads about it:

Reactions: diddydee
Stupid question, but I am unable to reach both sides of the entire sunroof track, on both sides of the car (4 tracks total), specially in the back portion of the track, near the rear of the car.

According to the service manual you’ll have to take off the sunroof in order to lubricate it and replace the screws that hold it in place. I paid my SC to do it but I doubt if they really took it off.

Thank you for your replies, however my question was not about which lube to use, but after you have whatever lube, how did you apply it to all four rails, for the entire length of the rail? Did you remove the sunroof (doubtful)?

My SC quoted $117, and mobile service too at my place, so 1/2 hour job (at $200 per hour labor)

Thank you for your replies, however my question was not about which lube to use, but after you have whatever lube, how did you apply it to all four rails, for the entire length of the rail? Did you remove the sunroof (doubtful)?

My SC quoted $117, and mobile service too at my place, so 1/2 hour job (at $200 per hour labor)

It need to be removed according to this Link

Removal.jpg

I know this is old but. I wanted to post my DIY here for anyone else to enjoy.

I have been getting sunroof squeaking and shuttering when closing. I have had the car into Service multiple times and they lubed it up and still the issue continue. So after working with ReelDeal on my replacement Instrument Cluster, they provided me some of their sunroof lube to try out. I am very happy with this, as I believe that the Tesla Service techs probably weren't cleaning the channels first and then lubricate. So if you have the sunroof squeak and or shuttering, please clean out the old lube and dirt and re-lubricate the channels. NOTE: I did not remove the sunroof. No need to do that.

Tesla Model S Preventative Maintenance — ReelDeal EV - EV Car Parts and Accessories
DIY from ReelDeal. Doc is from Tesla Service.
1jqGEbW.jpg

First, open the sunroof all the way.
0oVewyl.jpg

Then take a cloth or paper towel with a flat head screw driver and CAREFULLY clean out the channels. This will take sometime to do right.
muOvjIl.jpg

iZmps1u.jpg

Next, use some compressed air (max 25 PSI) to blow out any dirt you couldn't reach or get to. Also check the water drain holes in the front corners of the channels.
RX11xdg.jpg

p74favr.jpg

Next get the new lube and some kind of an application device. I used a sponge brush. You can even use a Q-Tip.
9klNHtD.jpg

NgmzWgj.jpg

wFQioEk.jpg

This is what it looks like when I finished lubricating the channels. I only used about half of the tube of lube. No need to over lube.
dPUh57z.jpg

There is an existing thread for this topic...

Sunroof lubricant?

I recently took the MS in because the sunroof was "stuttering" a bit towards the end of travel while opening. I asked the tech what they used to lubricate the tracks so I could DIY in the future. He showed me a container of Klubersynth RA 44-702. I tried searching on this hoping to find it for...
teslamotorsclub.com
teslamotorsclub.com

...but it ended up in the "Interior & Exterior" sub-category with no exposure

I have a can of white lithium grease, with a straw to direct the spray of the grease.

Brian
Hey Brian, I just had my sunroof rattle fixed. Took them 4 appointments but it's fixed now. Some screw was loose, yet they just kept lubricating it thinking it was the culprit. Here's the lubricant Tesla uses

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-115130_Amazon Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-115130_Amazon Photos.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 247