Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof lubricant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took the MS in because the sunroof was "stuttering" a bit towards the end of travel while opening. I asked the tech what they used to lubricate the tracks so I could DIY in the future. He showed me a container of Klubersynth RA 44-702.

I tried searching on this hoping to find it for sale on-line, but I didn't come up with anywhere to buy it. Anyone know of a source or a good alternative?

From this thread: Service manual and wiring diagrams

Post #66 has the Annual Service write up, under the Panoramic Roof, Step 4:

"Apply Klübersynth noise reduction grease to the 4 channels. Caution: Use only Klübersynth noise reduction grease, Tesla part number 1031102-00-A. Other greases can permanently damage the roof seals."

(I have not called the Parts Dept. yet to see if the part number is still valid, if they sell it to owners, or the cost.)

This would be a good replacement for Klubersynth Grease

eBay or this for the seals http://a.co/d/0dONt4Q

White Lightning - Chemours WS0856602 Krytox Weatherstrip Lubricant

Krytox Grease is compatible with all elastomeric seal materials and engineering plastics. See Krytox Greases GPL202 through GPL207 for applications that require higher temperature ranges and high viscosity needs. See Krytox Greases GPL215 and GPL217 for slow speeds or extreme pressure applications that require molybdenum disulfide additives. See Krytox Greases GPL224 through GPL227 for high pressure, highly corrosive environments such as automotive bearings, sealed pump bearings, and electric motors bearings that require anti- corrosion/anti-wear inhibitor additives. Krytox Grease provides exceptional performance, stability, and reliability in the toughest conditions – to maximize productivity and equipment life. Krytox Grease is undamaged by, and non-reactive with, acidic or caustic cleaners and disinfectants, steam, moisture or high temps. Krytox Grease is non-toxic, has no chlorine content or hazardous VOC materials, is odorless and silicone-free in formulation.

Last edited:
Ok, Amazon delivered the Krytox Grease and Krytox Weatherstrip Lub today. Went out and cleaned out the sunroof tracks with q-tips and papertowels (freaking nasty black gritty grease). Lubbed the tracks with Krytox grease and treated the weatherstripping.... no shutter, no squeaks!!!!! Nice solid sound to the closing too... Treated the weatherstripping on the passenger side doors and rear hatch. Will do the drivers side doors and frunk tomorrow.... this is good stuff! Make sure you treat the roof track with weatherstrip lub where the sunroof rolls back to the rear passenger area on the roof... thats where most of my screeching sunroof sounds were coming from due to the dry rubber.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and mambro
@Struja I bought a bucket of the proper spec lube for sunroof rails from local Tesla service depot in Canada.

It's a shop supply. They said they don't normally retail the stuff, but I bought it as just another part -- had them add it to my parts bill for a service repair job the car was in for and I was paying other things too... The service personal was able to slip me the lube that way. If the shop was down to their last bucket they may not have sold it to me.

It cost about $35 for what looks like a lifetime supply for a few Model S's.

p.s. it is a very light semi-translucent lube, looks white when applied to dark rails.

It is meant for plastic / metal interface lube applications, has a bit of "body" but not much, very soft and goopy.. I think by glopping itself along the rails it helps reapply itself with normal sunroof use.

If your lube has gone black and you see rails have gotten shiny bright (aluminum) instead of the painted black surface, and especially if rails are wearing along inside edges (sloping downward toward center of car)... the sunroof is near failure and an expensive treat to repair.

I would think twice about using any spray film type lubricant as a substitute for the real stuff.

Last edited:
Stupid question, but I can't seem to reach the outer sunroof rails, specially in the back part of the sunroof travel. Same with the inner rails. I can the front portion of the travel, but not the rear section of travel. Any tips? My sunroof is sputtering.