Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sunroof Making Loud Noise When Opening.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3D8D5691-0327-486A-B0F2-F59EB06699B5.jpeg 71D22D4A-9D6E-469C-8494-26AC2B368EFE.jpeg 3D8D5691-0327-486A-B0F2-F59EB06699B5.jpeg 656ED41D-EE3E-43F3-9E95-DECD659F5E1B.jpeg 71D22D4A-9D6E-469C-8494-26AC2B368EFE.jpeg 3D8D5691-0327-486A-B0F2-F59EB06699B5.jpeg 2014 P 85DL with 82k miles. Makes a very loud sound when opening. Mobile tech came out to replace the airbag and said the seals ned to be lubed. I lived all seals and it did not help. Now there is a noticeable wind noise above 55 mph that was t their prior to said lubing. Probably have to take it to service, but wanted to see if anyone had a similar issue. Previous owner stated he rarely used the sunroof so not sure how long the issue was present. Photo is of the passenger rear side of sunroof where the noise comes from. The plastic piece looks broken. Is that normal? Included a pic of the drivers side rear for comparison.

I would assume that would need to replaced (the broken parts). I can’t believe the mobile tech saw that and said lube it, lol.

If the previous owner never used the sunroof, could be more corrosion and who knows what. Not sure the cost, but I would think it needs to be dismantled and gone over carefully to see what else may be corroded or broken since if it fails you could have a mess on the inside from the water.

There's a known issue with earlier pano sunroof gaskets actually sealing up too much, if that's possible. You didn't describe what "noise" yours is making specifically but if it's a loud pop sound right as it starts to open it's the gasket not clearing the glass panel fully as it slides backwards. There's a fix for this that the service center can do but it can't be done via Ranger Technician and has to be done at the service center specifically. They basically cut the gasket with some sort of special tool and I guess it's pretty involved which is why they don't do it in the field. My 2014 P85D also has this and I plan to get it fixed under warranty but since I'm not close to the service center and it's not a critical repair I haven't taken the time to go down to drop it off. I'll probably just wait until there's a more critical issue that requires a visit to have them fix this too.

A loud pop is exactly what I hear. I took a video, but it must be too large to post. I need to make an appointment with the service center and see what they can do. I’m out of warranty, so not too excited to see the bill..

There's a known issue with earlier pano sunroof gaskets actually sealing up too much, if that's possible. You didn't describe what "noise" yours is making specifically but if it's a loud pop sound right as it starts to open it's the gasket not clearing the glass panel fully as it slides backwards. There's a fix for this that the service center can do but it can't be done via Ranger Technician and has to be done at the service center specifically. They basically cut the gasket with some sort of special tool and I guess it's pretty involved which is why they don't do it in the field. My 2014 P85D also has this and I plan to get it fixed under warranty but since I'm not close to the service center and it's not a critical repair I haven't taken the time to go down to drop it off. I'll probably just wait until there's a more critical issue that requires a visit to have them fix this too.

My P85D has the pop too. I took it to the service center 3 weeks ago and they said there's nothing wrong with it.

If you get it fixed, can you post the work order?